How the Pac-12's demise impacts women's college basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How the Pac-12's demise impacts women's college basketball

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I sure would like to hear/read Stanford and Cal’s reasons for not wanting to merge with the Mountain West Conference. Especially since joining the B1G and Big 12 is no longer an option. Options are a commodity these two are quickly running out of. Is the ACC their last best hope to join another P5 conference? It sure looks like it.

Never mind...............

Mountain West AD wants no part of Pac-12, fears conference will lose autonomy​

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I recently read a couple of articles that state that the ACC may be targeting SMU for admission to their conference. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Why would they take SMU over UConn? Its like we have the plague or something. I really don't understand why we are not wanted by anyone. I just don't understand.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I recently read a couple of articles that state that the ACC may be targeting SMU for admission to their conference. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Why would they take SMU over UConn? Its like we have the plague or something. I really don't understand why we are not wanted by anyone. I just don't understand.
While UConn & SMU football are relatively even from a competition and home attendance standpoint, and UConn certainly fits better geographically relative to the ACC, the answer to your question is that SMU gets the ACC into the football crazed and lucrative TX market (Dallas). BC already has the ACC in the New England market. So as we’ve seen over and over, football drives the realignment bus and it’s all about $$$.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering when the players say enough is enough. The Oregon bball teams are supposed to fly to NJ and PA and play on a weeknight and fly back, and keep up with school work? As conferences get larger and larger, the demands on the "student-athletes" is getting rediculous.
Exactly. And let's not forget Maryland as well. These billion-dollar leagues couldn't care less about the inputs, i.e., the young people themselves. Let's not forget that the NCAA still pretends they're "student-athletes," though making it nigh on impossible for them to actually attend class and have the time to study for their education. How many blearly-eyed kids will the Big 10 have every single week for how many teams?

Recently, an oped in The Guardian pointed out how America's women's soccer teams were falling behind the rest of the world in no small part because of the antiquated university system. In Europe, women's soccer has followed men's soccer and basketball in developing talent through pro youth teams and leagues. I think the university sports system, the NCAA has gone too far. They are just abusing these kids for the money, while young people suffer. This is all going to come crashing down.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Jones was drafted in the fourth round by the Buffalo Bills in 2016, but only appeared in one NFL game: completing six of 11 pass attempts for 96 yards with an interception and a sack against the New York Jets. He also had stints on the Los Angeles Chargers' practice squad and the Seattle Seahawks.
To quote Ohio State quarterback Cardale Jones: they ain't come to play school.
He now plays for the Massachusetts Pirates of the indoor football league, I hate to assume but it's possible tht he like so many others could be broke within 5 years after his "football" career is done, never look a gift horse in the mouth and never squander a Chance for a free education , room & board, fun times and great experiences included. Imho

Reaction Score
Exactly. And let's not forget Maryland as well. These billion-dollar leagues couldn't care less about the inputs, i.e., the young people themselves. Let's not forget that the NCAA still pretends they're "student-athletes," though making it nigh on impossible for them to actually attend class and have the time to study for their education. How many blearly-eyed kids will the Big 10 have every single week for how many teams?

Recently, an oped in The Guardian pointed out how America's women's soccer teams were falling behind the rest of the world in no small part because of the antiquated university system. In Europe, women's soccer has followed men's soccer and basketball in developing talent through pro youth teams and leagues. I think the university sports system, the NCAA has gone too far. They are just abusing these kids for the money, while young people suffer. This is all going to come crashing down.
Sports and schools should have nothing to do with each other that's the easy answer.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I hear ya Baldy. It's like we have the Pox or something. :eek: This is crazy...and it's not funny anymore. :mad:

Reaction Score
I sure would like to hear/read Stanford and Cal’s reasons for not wanting to merge with the Mountain West Conference. Especially since joining the B1G and Big 12 is no longer an option. Options are a commodity these two are quickly running out of. Is the ACC their last best hope to join another P5 conference? It sure looks like it.
Heard that there is a strong possibility of both looking at going independent (especially Stanford) this year and see where realignment falls.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Heard that there is a strong possibility of both looking at going independent (especially Stanford) this year and see where realignment falls.
Joining the ACC was their last hope. They want to join a P4 conference. If that can’t happen, then there’s no other choice. There are other western region Mid-major conferences they can petition to join. The West Coast, the Big West, and the Big Sky. The Mountain West wants no part of them. Remember the old saying....any port in a storm.....or beggars can't be choosers. Get it where you fit in.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom