How other fans see it | The Boneyard

How other fans see it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This from the comments following the IU transfers article ( http://www.idsnews.com/article/2015/03/brooks-to-leave-iu-third-to-depart-program-in-last-3-days): "IU is a fantastic Basketball school---my interest in College BB began with Bob Knight--Women's basketball has not achieved the proper level with the Coaching staff so far, the Administration needs to step up and support this program and beat the bushes for a McCoy or other standout and get them. Recruiting is what wins games--remember there is only one Geno Auriemma but lots of Muffet McGraws--"

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'll take one of those Muffets if there are any to spare. I'll take a Tara too, just for the heck of it.

Indiana hadn't put a lot of effort into women's basketball until they hired Miller. Unfortunately, with him leaving, they are back where they started.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'll take one of those Muffets if there are any to spare. I'll take a Tara too, just for the heck of it.

Indiana hadn't put a lot of effort into women's basketball until they hired Miller. Unfortunately, with him leaving, they are back where they started.
I'm curious what your thoughts are regarding Stringer? It seems the past few years she's actually been able to make some noticeable changes to the offense - not that it's resulted in a top 10 ranking, but certainly seems to be moving them in a new direction. Are you still in favor of replacing Stringer or do most Rutgers fans like the direction the program is going?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm curious what your thoughts are regarding Stringer? It seems the past few years she's actually been able to make some noticeable changes to the offense - not that it's resulted in a top 10 ranking, but certainly seems to be moving them in a new direction. Are you still in favor of replacing Stringer or do most Rutgers fans like the direction the program is going?
That would depend on who you talk to.

First, I'll be blunt - I do like Coach Stringer. But I also "like" Coach Butts here in Arizona, and I've been saying she "gots to go" for a while. If I was disappointed enough about RU's performance I would be wanting her gone to.

But I really don't. First, I was always a realist - CVS is undoubtedly a very good coach - what makes her a hall of famer is her longevity and ability to be successful in different eras and build radically different programs. Her performance at Rutgers is pretty much what her prior record suggested. Secondly, in spite of a few lean years, a ton of programs would die to have Rutgers record in the last 20 years, and, with the tweak to the style of play I do feel that RU is competitive. And finally, RU is good enough that the chances of replacing her with a coach who will produce equal - never mind better - results is likely to be difficult. Plenty of promising hires that didn't do so well in history. The poorer a program is performing, the more likely that a "good" hire will be better than the coach they replace, but at Rutgers level, not such a sure thing. Plus, she will only be coaching a few more years, I'm sure.

So far as I can tell, most RU fans - most of whom also like CVS - are content enough with the new contract and the increased performance; they also do realize it isn't "forever". There is, however, a significant group of women's fans who do have higher expectations - they want top 10 every year - and somehow think that replacing CVS will bring the promised land. I'm not quite sure how they "expect" that is what would happen if CVS left, but that's their idea. Also, of course, a huge number of so-called RU fans that just want the women's basketball program to go away, so they can get the money for football. Which isn't what would happen anyhow, but they are out there too.

In any case, I expect she will retire at the end of her contract (4 years) or sooner, only next year is guaranteed, I understand.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
KBAz - a well reasoned response, especially after what I would consider a disappointing season. I certainly expected Rutgers to be a stronger team in the Big10 this year. Last year showed real promise, and I thought they would build on that - maybe the Big10 is stronger than I thought, though Maryland has certainly cruised this year.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
KBAz - a well reasoned response, especially after what I would consider a disappointing season. I certainly expected Rutgers to be a stronger team in the Big10 this year. Last year showed real promise, and I thought they would build on that - maybe the Big10 is stronger than I thought, though Maryland has certainly cruised this year.
Somewhat disappointing. What Rutgers didn't do was upset anyone, really. They lost to the teams they "should have" (i.e. Maryland twice, UNC and Tennessee) beat everyone they would be expected to outright (a lot of the B1G and most of the OOC) and had mixed results against their peers (beat Minny and Nebraska, lost to Iowa, tOSU and Northwestern). Northwestern is a special case and it is the 2 losses to Northwestern that were the killers, especially coming in 2 of the last 3 games.

On the at least possibly comforting side, RU did deal with some injuries - including the last game where the extent isn't known - that probably had some impact and might have led to 2 more wins. And in the last game, in addition to the injuries RU fans are going on and on about the officiating. While it didn't cost the game, IMHO, it didn't favor what RU was doing and RU didn't adjust very well. And there are some promising recruits on the signed list, so I don't expect any worse.

As to the B1G - Maryland is very good, Iowa and tOSU are pretty impressive if not great, Northwestern is a real comer and Nebraska and Minnesota might be really good if they hadn't suffered the injuries they did. Plus some historically good teams had some really off years (Penn State, Purdue and Michigan State) and while they are my 3 least favorite teams in the B1G I do expect them to be back.

Reaction Score
Somewhat disappointing. What Rutgers didn't do was upset anyone, really. They lost to the teams they "should have" (i.e. Maryland twice, UNC and Tennessee) beat everyone they would be expected to outright (a lot of the B1G and most of the OOC) and had mixed results against their peers (beat Minny and Nebraska, lost to Iowa, tOSU and Northwestern). Northwestern is a special case and it is the 2 losses to Northwestern that were the killers, especially coming in 2 of the last 3 games.

On the at least possibly comforting side, RU did deal with some injuries - including the last game where the extent isn't known - that probably had some impact and might have led to 2 more wins. And in the last game, in addition to the injuries RU fans are going on and on about the officiating. While it didn't cost the game, IMHO, it didn't favor what RU was doing and RU didn't adjust very well. And there are some promising recruits on the signed list, so I don't expect any worse.

As to the B1G - Maryland is very good, Iowa and tOSU are pretty impressive if not great, Northwestern is a real comer and Nebraska and Minnesota might be really good if they hadn't suffered the injuries they did. Plus some historically good teams had some really off years (Penn State, Purdue and Michigan State) and while they are my 3 least favorite teams in the B1G I do expect them to be back.
The thing about Rutgers is they have a lot of individual talent. I'm not saying that they play as individuals, but they have a lot of one on one I can take you to the rim players which isn't exactly a bad thing. I believe Rutgers is one premeir post player from getting to the next level because a back to the basket post player can negate all the excessive dribbling. The way you contain Rutgers ballhandlers are simple, ZONE THEM.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The thing about Rutgers is they have a lot of individual talent. I'm not saying that they play as individuals, but they have a lot of one on one I can take you to the rim players which isn't exactly a bad thing. I believe Rutgers is one premeir post player from getting to the next level because a back to the basket post player can negate all the excessive dribbling. The way you contain Rutgers ballhandlers are simple, ZONE THEM.
Pretty much - although this year we lived and died by the "lost art" of the mid-range jump shot. And did quite well.

But the post is weak - the most talented center isn't a scorer, although she is a great shot blocker and there was a huge talent drop off after that, and the 3 point shot is virtually non-existent, except for a juco that didn't play all that much and was plagued by health issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom