How Nika Mühl escaped the doghouse to become a UConn legend | The Boneyard

How Nika Mühl escaped the doghouse to become a UConn legend

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Despite how it looked — with the yelling and the tears — Mühl revealed that Auriemma’s message during that infamous moment from her freshman year was much softer than it appeared on the outside.
“I'll never ever forget that,” she said. “He didn't even reassure me. It wasn't even like he was getting on me. It was just like a moment of like, ‘I'm here for you. It's okay. It happens. You're growing. You're a freshman. Allow yourself to do those things. I'm just trying to motivate you.’”
“In that moment, I realized that every time he yells at me every time, he says something that I don't want to hear, it's because he loves me so much,” Mühl said. “He wants to trust me, he wants me to get better.”
“Nobody can help you until you realize it yourself.”

Reaction Score
Bingo....
"Mühl has established herself as one of the greatest players in UConn history. She wasn’t an All-American and won’t end up in the Huskies of Honor, but that’s fitting for someone whose impact could never be properly quantified."

Reaction Score
Bingo....
"Mühl has established herself as one of the greatest players in UConn history. She wasn’t an All-American and won’t end up in the Huskies of Honor, but that’s fitting for someone whose impact could never be properly quantified."
don't forget one of the most polarizing players for us here at the BY. The threads on Nika these 4 years in and of itself was one to behold

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Thank you @BRS24 for posting this. I still remember vividly the Butler game "incident" where the TV camera showed Nika sitting in her chair, tears flowing. I have posted a few times in various Nika threads that, IMO, at that moment, her UConn career could have in one of two ways and that, luckily for us, she chose the correct way.

UConn needs a special "wall" (The Muhl Wall) for players like Nika.
Are there any past players that are currently team career/season leaders, ie blocks, assists, A/TO Ratio, or were career/season leaders when they graduated who are not on the Wall?

Reaction Score
Nika is on a long, distinguished lists of great UConn players who didn't qualify for the Wall, but impacted the program in a big way. An incomplete list includes Kia, Crystal, Kelly, Jamelle, and so many more.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. I usually don't love the uconnweekly site's articles but this was a good one. It's cool to take a step back and look at nikas career. What a whirlwind. I remember her just being impactful her freshman year, specifically remember her vs South Carolina, bringing her competitiveness and intensity. Then I do recall her starting off the season struggling her sophomore year. Like she was pressing, as the whole team was. Super high expectations with making the final 4 and everyone back with Azzi. She came off the bench and even had limited minutes early. But she was really invaluable once Paige went down. And then when PB came back she went back to the bench and basically made the most of every minute. This is what made me admire Nika so much. She didn't complain, and just produced. She was great in the elite 8 game vs NC State and the final 4 game. She had so many of these during her time but she had a classic post game interview.

Then junior year she was pretty great. The Ohio State game was pretty unfortunate but she was fantastic that year. The NC State game stands out but she was just all around great.

Then this year, I thought she was really great again. A lot more efficient. Really bummed she didn't win a ring as she really stepped up. She's one of my favorite UConn players ever for sure.

Best,
Jeffrey

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thank you @BRS24 for posting this. I still remember vividly the Butler game "incident" where the TV camera showed Nika sitting in her chair, tears flowing. I have posted a few times in various Nika threads that, IMO, at that moment, her UConn career could have in one of two ways and that, luckily for us, she chose the correct way.

UConn needs a special "wall" (The Muhl Wall) for players like Nika.
Are there any past players that are currently team career/season leaders, ie blocks, assists, A/TO Ratio, or were career/season leaders when they graduated who are not on the Wall?
There are a few who didn't make the Wall, who did some special things.

Asjha Jones didn't make the wall, but was an Olympic Gold medalist.
Tiffany Hayes was a WNBA all-star.
Kiah Stokes has the single season record for blocks.
Tamika Williams has the career record for FG%. (and I think the NCAA career record??)

I think some other posters have listed some great players who never made the wall.

p.s. great article

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I will always take Geno's assessment of a UConn player, particularly when it closely aligns with mine! Forget what is on the wall; she is one of the greats.

Reaction Score
I have cited hundreds of times over these last four season what has made Nika so special so I won't repeat here. One thing I have mentioned a few times though is that Nika focused on basketball much later than many of her more more recognized contemporaries. She is still very much a work in progress.

Each year at UConn we saw her face and meet new challenges as she continued to develop her game as well as grow as a person . IMO, as great as her achievements have been at UConn she is nowhere near her ceiling.

As she moves on from UConn, her hunger to continually challenge herself, her love of the game and the emotion she invests and exudes will make it an ongoing joy to follow her as fans. I will truly miss seeing her in a Husky uniform but as she said she has given everything she had to the program and its other's turn now and time for her to move on to the next challenge. As we know, Nika has always fully done so with all the passion, focus and energy she has within her. I will definitely be watching!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom