How many UConn wins does Geno REALLY have? | The Boneyard

How many UConn wins does Geno REALLY have?

Reaction Score
Geno's official record is 997 wins, meaning that if he wins tomorrow and against DePaul on Dec 8, he shoots for his 1000th on Dec 19th against OK at Mohegan Sun. I have tickets for my family and we'll be there to party. Woohoo!

However, I know that Geno has served at least one 1-game suspension and that he missed a game because of his dad (CD coaching both times). Do these count as Geno wins, even though he wasn't even in the building? Mike Krzyzewski, IIRC, missed nearly an entire season with back surgery (though he may have attended a number of Duke's games). Did those count toward his 1000+?

Is it the 1000th win in which Geno will be coaching the program or the 1000th win in which he coached from the bench? Inquiring minds want to know.....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno's official record is 997 wins, meaning that if he wins tomorrow and against DePaul on Dec 8, he shoots for his 1000th on Dec 19th against OK at Mohegan Sun. I have tickets for my family and we'll be there to party. Woohoo!

However, I know that Geno has served at least one 1-game suspension and that he missed a game because of his dad (CD coaching both times). Do these count as Geno wins, even though he wasn't even in the building? Mike Krzyzewski, IIRC, missed nearly an entire season with back surgery (though he may have attended a number of Duke's games). Did those count toward his 1000+?

Is it the 1000th win in which Geno will be coaching the program or the 1000th win in which he coached from the bench? Inquiring minds want to know.....
Yes - as he was the 'coach' of the team for the full year in each case even if he was suspended from being on the sidelines for a game or missed one for a personal reason.
In fact, I believe two different situations exist for two of the other 1000 win (or soon to be) coaches:

Tara took a full year leave of absences for her Olympic run in 1996 - pre-pro USA leagues and the USA basketball was trying to get back to gold medal performance levels so the team was pulled together in 1995 and they played a full schedule of exhibitions during the year leading up to the games. The wins that Stanford had in her absence were not credited to her win total but to the interim coach.

Sylvia had her bout with serious illness and took a full year medical leave starting before the season began but she remained around the team when her health allowed and the UNC wins that year are included in her record even though she never coached in a game that year and did not run any of the practices.

Not sure about Mike's situation.

Of course CD says Geno has a record of 0-135 since he has only screwed up her carefully laid plans when the team loses, and the wins are all because of her impeccable work! (On good days Geno agrees!:eek::cool:)

Reaction Score
When Coach K was out w/ a back injury, Duke had a losing record. K bravely gave all of the losses to the assistant coach that took over for him, then kicked him to the curb. Cuz that's what kind of guy K is.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjf5fPGgO3XAhVB6Z8KHb35BYQQFghcMAw&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Duke_Blue_Devils_men%27s_basketball_head_coaches&usg=AOvVaw0b_ZLH6w42KElX0vJy-Vdq
Thanks for this. I entirely share your feelings on K.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yes - as he was the 'coach' of the team for the full year in each case even if he was suspended from being on the sidelines for a game or missed one for a personal reason.
In fact, I believe two different situations exist for two of the other 1000 win (or soon to be) coaches:

Not sure about Mike's situation.

Of course CD says Geno has a record of 0-135 since he has only screwed up her carefully laid plans when the team loses, and the wins are all because of her impeccable work! (On good days Geno agrees!:eek::cool:)
Vivian as well. CVS had a one game suspension - although Rutgers won the game, the win was not credited to Viv - it was given to Carlene Mitchell, who coached the game. OTH, Vivian missed at least a game when her mother passed away and also I think at least one many years earlier when her son was injured - these wins / losses were accrued to her record.

As you correctly state, CD has no credited wins / losses on the official record, no matter how many she (and assistants at various programs) are actually responsible for. That's why good coaches want the best assistants.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Bags, I think we need a committee to investigate this question, call witnesses, subpoena documents, take testimony, etc. I hereby nominate you to chair the committee. I’m sure there’s 10-12 boneyarders who would be happy to serve on the committee. Normally, I would be happy to help out, but I’ll be somewhere at a thing doing something. I look forward to hearing the committee’s findings in 2-3 years when you wrap up your work. ;)

Reaction Score

Just an opinion: I would guess if Mike K was coach of record--he would get credit with an asterisk--which in my personal opinion should not count. The coach on the sidelines, we saw this with Jim Calhoun, changes the game in subtle ways.
Which begs the question : how many of those 997 did Christine Dailey coach after Geno was ejected??

Reaction Score
Bags, I think we need a committee to investigate this question, call witnesses, subpoena documents, take testimony, etc. I hereby nominate you to chair the committee. I’m sure there’s 10-12 boneyarders who would be happy to serve on the committee. Normally, I would be happy to help out, but I’ll be somewhere at a thing doing something. I look forward to hearing the committee’s findings in 2-3 years when you wrap up your work. ;)
Oldude--you can't nominate Bags--no experience as a prosecutor. He'd have problems from the start--in expecting justice to be fair to all. Then too he'd want to convict the RIGHT person, not the most convenient person.
If State or Federal monies are used to support this committee and investigator (I would assume 200 family and friends) it could take 10-=15 years, maybe more.

Reaction Score
I think the coach of the team gets the win, even if he was out fishing while the game was on. He also gets the loss for the same reason. No matter who is doing the actual game coaching.

I read the same thing about Steve Kerr. When he was out on back surgery and recovery he got credit for Waltons coaching wins.. Should be same here? Not sure

Reaction Score
CD coached the Big East tournament one year in which they won. She also coached when he was suspended for scheduling to many games one year. In 1997 Genos father passed away right before BET.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
When Coach K was out w/ a back injury, Duke had a losing record. K bravely gave all of the losses to the assistant coach that took over for him, then kicked him to the curb. Cuz that's what kind of guy K is.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjf5fPGgO3XAhVB6Z8KHb35BYQQFghcMAw&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Duke_Blue_Devils_men%27s_basketball_head_coaches&usg=AOvVaw0b_ZLH6w42KElX0vJy-Vdq

He's a weasel, and looks the part.

Adding insult to injury, the assistant coach, Pete Gaudet, started out as the unpaid assistant. Ratface treated him shamefully. He knew they were destined for that losing season so he arranged for all the losses to go on Gaudet's record. We beat them early that season with Ray Allen, et al. Pete went on to become an assistant for Jim Foster with the Vandy women's team.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was never a fan of Coach K and his frowny face, but the fact that he took over the U.S. Olympic team head coaching job and has done a solid job of melding the egos of NBA superstars into 3 straight gold medal performances against international competition that continues to get better and better, is deserving of our appreciation IMO.

Reaction Score
It is actually the school that determines who gets the win/loss not the coach. It is an official NCAA submission. Usually the school gives it to the head coach as all the decisions are his/her responsibility. BTW I've prowled these boards for years but never posted. Love the discussions!

Reaction Score
It is actually the school that determines who gets the win/loss not the coach. It is an official NCAA submission. Usually the school gives it to the head coach as all the decisions are his/her responsibility. BTW I've prowled these boards for years but never posted. Love the discussions!

Welcome aboard buddy

Reaction Score

So they started 9-3 with Coach K and then went 4-15 the rest of the way under Gaudet (13-18 overall). Tough conference schedule but even so dramatic difference.

Perhaps he jumped instead of being pushed? Or not. You decide.

The Old Professor His painful stint at Duke behind him, Pete Gaudet again teaches the game

Between the fallout from that performance and the fact that he was making only $16,000 as a restricted-earnings coach--a limitation since ruled illegal thanks to a class-action suit led by Gaudet--he decided to leave Durham in May 1995.

Gaudet will not return despite new federal court ruling

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom