How many players go pro? | The Boneyard

How many players go pro?

Reaction Score
every year how many graduating wcbb players end up having pro careers?
I figure about 10-20 end up in the WNBA . And then some who don't go overseas.

Anyone have a sense of the overall number each year?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'd really like to know this myself. A related question that I've wondered about is how many players per draft class, on average, actually end up making a WNBA roster. With 36 draftees but only 12 teams and 12 roster spots apiece, there's just not much room.

Reaction Score
every year how many graduating wcbb players end up having pro careers?
I figure about 10-20 end up in the WNBA . And then some who don't go overseas.

Anyone have a sense of the overall number each year?
10-20 seems a good range. For example, I counted a total of 21 rookies on last year's rosters.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Last year there were 19 college rookies and two foreign rookies based on WNBA stats and at least one of the rookies had not made a team her first year (simmons) There were 26 second year players with 6 of those being foreign players and that was down from 30 rookies so an attrition rate of about 13% in a year.

So at this point about 20 college players per year entering the WNBA and I would guess maybe double that trying pro leagues overseas (Gardler, Conlon, McLaren are UConn examples that have done that for a few years at least - the latter two with trying to enter the WNBA as the goal.) Others like Lister have entered coaching programs but kept trying to hook on with an WNBA team for a few years.

Reaction Score
I counted roughly 25 pro leagues around the world (Wikipedia). Some leagues have a limit on non passport players. I have no idea how many turn pro every year. One thing that must be accounted for is the number of foriegn girls that play college ball. A good college player with a European passport will make a European roster a lot easier that an American girl.

I know the WNBA tracks Americans overseas. They would probably have the best numbers on this issue. I read an article recently that stated the WNBA notifies its players when there is a security issue.

Reaction Score
So at this point about 20 college players per year entering the WNBA and I would guess maybe double that trying pro leagues overseas (Gardler, Conlon, McLaren are UConn examples that have done that for a few years at least

Thanks. So 50-60 per year? That seems high to me, but I'm basing that on nothing.

Reaction Score
Seems like we already did this recently, and concluded that the number of graduating college players making WNBA rosters every year is smaller than the number of HS McDonalds AA slots (24).

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
How many players are elgible to go pro this year? I know K. Davis, Diamond DeShields, and Mercedes Russell. Who else?

Reaction Score
How many players are elgible to go pro this year? I know K. Davis, Diamond DeShields, and Mercedes Russell. Who else?
If you mean how many underclassmen (eligibility-wise) are eligible to go to the WNBA, add Natalie Butler

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
If you mean how many underclassmen (eligibility-wise) are eligible to go to the WNBA, add Natalie Butler
Yes that what I ment. Ok thanks.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There are so many leagues in Europe that I would guess the number to be in the hundreds. I know of kids that played at non-traditional power house like Holy Cross & the University of New Hampshire that have played professionally in Europe within the past 3 years.

Reaction Score
10-20 seems a good range. For example, I counted a total of 21 rookies on last year's rosters.

I think that figure of 21 is about right. Less than two dozen rookies each year. Of course, the number of second year players is about half that. So the number of players who manage to hold on for two years or more is pretty small. Kelly Faris's ability to stick in the WNBA while ranking nearly last in scoring is pretty amazing. That just doesn't happen.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Seems like we already did this recently, and concluded that the number of graduating college players making WNBA rosters every year is smaller than the number of HS McDonalds AA slots (24).
And the actual number of McD AA that make a WNBA team each year is much smaller as a number of those drafted weren't McD AA coming out of HS.

Reaction Score
Playing in the WNBA is 10-20, but well over a hundred players go on to play professionally in the various leagues overseas each year as there are hundreds of teams with a slot for an American. In many cases that American is the only actual full professional on the team with everyone else either being a student or having a regular job in addition to playing the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom