How long have you been a UConn WBB fan? (poll) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How long have you been a UConn WBB fan? (poll)

How long have you been a UConn women's basketball fan?

• Since forever

Votes: 68 20.8%
  • Since 1995

Votes: 168 51.4%
  • Since UConn won its second championship in 2000

Votes: 19 5.8%
  • More recently than 2000

Votes: 37 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 35 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In 1987 I flew home from Texas for Christmas & caught up with a few close friends and the bar we used to do our under age drinking. One of my friends casually asked if I heard that one of our former HS JV BB coach had gotten the head coaching job at UCONN. Mind you he said nothing about Women's basketball or exactly which former coach, we had about 4 or 5 coaches in two years of JV ball. By 1992 when I was home now out of the Army and was able to make the HS reunion. Same friend asked if I was keeping track of the job Geno was doing at UCONN. The name Geno honestly did not ring a bell so I came home and looked in the year book and sure enough one of our JV coach was Geno. Wow I though, I got to go see UCONN play. So I brought tickets to UCONN vs. Villaova just a short ride across the bridge. It was a good game but the guy coaching UCONN sure did look like the Geno I remember. Totally confused I went home thinking maybe they meant Connecticut College so I gave up. Sometime around the summer of 1993 I was at a christening and finally found out Geno was actually coaching the Women at UCONN. I have been hooked since 1993, but it could have been much sooner.

Reaction Score
1991 first Final Four - Really didn't know UConn had a high caliber team until I noticed press coverage as they made their way through the tournament. Tough loss to VA but I was hooked.

Reaction Score
I started following when they got to the final 4 for the first time. I bought one of the mini-packages they sold back then starting with the 94-95 team. Two mini-packages in 95-96. Then season tickets from 96 until 04. My daughter stopped going with me after the 01-02 season, then after the next two years going by myself, I got better seats watching CPTV starting in the 04-05 season. I gave to CPTV until SNY started doing the broadcasts.

Reaction Score
Have been a men's fan since 1964 when I decided to attend UConn. Rooted for all uconn sports ever since, including wbb, but didn't start attending women's games regularly till the 87-88 season with the team that featured Kris Lamb and Renee Najarian.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Since 1988. Caught the tail end of the field house games and every game at Gampel for many years. Love that I can still watch all the SNY and ESPN games -- even the CBSSN games -- down here in TN. The 90-91 team of over-achievers is still my favorite.

Reaction Score
I remember catching a game or two on espn during Stewie's sophomore year. Got hooked with the hype of that year's WB national championship game. I remember wondering how is this skinny awkward white girl dominating women's college basketball. I have been tuning in for every UConn game since.

Last year's final four was my first ever live UConn game, drove 8hrs from WI to see them.

Reaction Score
We've had a request from a fan to find out how long folks here have been a UConn women's basketball team fan.
I was a student at UConn, majoring in Sports Medicine/Athletic Training, and one of the requirements was that we had to take 6 different "Sports technique" courses. One that I took was Basketball, taught by the brand new Women's Basketball Coach. For part of our grade, we had to attend a game (in the old Field House), and write a paper on our observations. I could tell right away that this guy loved the game, and teaching it (and we didn't get hollered at or thrown out of the gym at all!). From then on, I was hooked.

Reaction Score
Always was a huge men's UCONN fan in the 70's as well as a huge NBA fan. In 94-95 I didn't follow them much. I started watching them gradually more because of Shea Ralph. I just loved her game but still I didn't watch a lot though it was more. I was heartbroken when she went down (the same time Rickey Moore went down on the men's side. Both injuries killed me.). I got the "itch" of "what could have been" if she was healthy. I couldn't believe UCONN got to the E8 in 97-98 and looking forward that Ralph was coming back. And then she'd play with Sveta. And then I would learn/read/knew during the summer of one high school star committing . . . then another . . . then another . . . then another . . . then another . . .

It's like a actor(s) or actress(es) you liked/loved their performance during a pretty good movie even though he or she (them) was (were) a star before. But now the star(s) just came out with a super movie in which he or she (them) was (were) unbelievably great. The movie and the star(s) were getting great acclaim. I had to see that movie. I knew Geno was great. I knew Ralph and Sveta were great. And when I saw the TASSK force for the 1st time at the McD game in Hartford, I knew this movie would be something special. Been a huge fan ever since. And the show keeps running. How lucky are we?

Reaction Score
Put 1995 on the poll, but actually became of the Huskies a bit earlier than that. Probably the first time they went to the Final Four for the first time. I became a fan because they were a thorn in the side of Pat Summitt, whose sideline manner I just did not like. I had an interest in the women's game since high school when one of my classmates got a chance to play at Immaculata. This would have been 1978 to 1982. Unfortunately injuries kept her from having any kind of significant college career.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Since Geno arrived! I played women's college BB at a SEC school (of course they are my top school but UConn is a close 2nd due to Geno).

Reaction Score
... I loved the purity of the way they played. Emphasis on the fundamentals, no showboating like you see in the men's game...

ferrari, you hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. From time to time I'm asked how I can watch women playing anything, not just basketball. My answer always involves purity and fundamentals especially at UCONN. It's the passing, the movement without the ball, finding the open teammate, stifling defense, and turning steals and rebounds into fast breaks.

There's far too much chest pounding, it's "all about me" attitude in the men's game. When I make such comments to others, the polite ones will respond that it's a cultural thing and I wouldn't understand. In response I just say when I watch a women's game I see lots of folks who can claim the same cultural heritage but for some reason they don't seem to think it's necessary to demonstrate in the same way. There's nothing wrong with excitement over a great play, but after watching women's basketball as long as I have, strutting around like a fool apparently is not a requirement of success in a team game.

Reaction Score
Dad was class of '43 and a track and soccer captain. Later he carried press credentials and wrote for the Waterbury Republican and the Torrington Register on UConn men's soccer and women's basketball. Long time season ticket-holders, Mom and Dad moved to the Silk Mill apartments in Manchester around 2000 to be closer to the campus to attend games. They flew around the country to final fours, followed the USA Basketball team to the Czech Republic at 88 and 90. In 2003 at 81 and 83 and at the last minute without tickets they flew standby to Atlanta for the championship game, carrying pillows prepared to sleep in the airport. In short, they were rabid fans. Mom knew the players far better than her grandchildren. They counted CD a friend and Geno an acquaintance. Both were kind to them. Mom is 96 now, still reads the Courant articles I print for her. I got her to a last game on tickets from CD just 3 years ago. So I picked it up from them. I remember Rebecca Lobo's play well and being surprised and fortunate to catch the '95 first national championship game in a beach bar in Zihuatanejo, MX.

Reaction Score
Since 1987. I took my three grandsons to a game and was lucky enough to have Kerry's sibling in attendance. My eldest grandson still remembers attending the game. Have been to four final fours and some regionals with my husband. Had season tickets until we could no longer walk from the parking garage to Gampel. One year we had season tickets to all the men and women's games. It has been a fantastic entertainment. Celebrated our 60trh wedding anniversary recently and had fond remembrances of our wedding day when we attended a UCONN vs URI football game where UCONN won!

Reaction Score
1991. Started following UConn Women's B-Ball when a kid from a nearby town, Rebecca Lobo, decided to go to UConn. Haven't missed a game since.

Reaction Score
Wendy Davis graduated from HS in 1988. Recruited for Uconn the following year. Been a fan ever since.

Reaction Score
Being from Bristol I started following the Women when Laura Lishness played. She was followed by Kathy Ferrier, another Bristol native .

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Thank you HuskyNan for my favorite and one of the most moving polls of the year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Started 1989 -1990.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Dad was class of '43 and a track and soccer captain. Later he carried press credentials and wrote for the Waterbury Republican and the Torrington Register on UConn men's soccer and women's basketball. Long time season ticket-holders, Mom and Dad moved to the Silk Mill apartments in Manchester around 2000 to be closer to the campus to attend games. They flew around the country to final fours, followed the USA Basketball team to the Czech Republic at 88 and 90. In 2003 at 81 and 83 and at the last minute without tickets they flew standby to Atlanta for the championship game, carrying pillows prepared to sleep in the airport. In short, they were rabid fans. Mom knew the players far better than her grandchildren. They counted CD a friend and Geno an acquaintance. Both were kind to them. Mom is 96 now, still reads the Courant articles I print for her. I got her to a last game on tickets from CD just 3 years ago. So I picked it up from them. I remember Rebecca Lobo's play well and being surprised and fortunate to catch the '95 first national championship game in a beach bar in Zihuatanejo, MX.

NICE --- 1962 Grad Was a fan before Geno

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My daughter dragged me to a women's game in 92 or 93 after hearing me complain about not being able to get tickets to a men's game. I've been a fan since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom