How long have you been a UConn WBB fan? (poll) | The Boneyard

How long have you been a UConn WBB fan? (poll)

How long have you been a UConn women's basketball fan?

• Since forever

Votes: 68 20.8%
  • Since 1995

Votes: 168 51.4%
  • Since UConn won its second championship in 2000

Votes: 19 5.8%
  • More recently than 2000

Votes: 37 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 35 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We've had a request from a fan to find out how long folks here have been a UConn women's basketball team fan.

Reaction Score
Wanted to see Gampel when it opened, and couldn't get tickets to a men's game, but could just walk into a women's game- I had played basketball in high school, but UMASS, my college, didn't have a women's team back in 1969, but I knew a little about the game. (They did, however, have Julius Erving, but that's another story). Anyhow, we started going to games, free, and fell in love with the team and started attending games- watched the first final four in New Orleans (still have my T-shirt). Watched Rebecca come on board, then Jen and Jamelle. Bought season tickets which permitted you to sit anywhere in the lower bowl, until the nationally televised game against a California team ( Maybe Stanford?) with a great player named Val something- and it was a full house, and finally saw that they had sold more season tickets than there were seats in the lower section of Gampel- and, it all changed the following year. What a ride it has been!

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I was a freshman during the 2002 campaign of one of the finest teams ever to hit the floor (Bird, Jones, Cash, Williams, and DT) and a friend dragged me to a home game I definitely did not want to go to.

I couldn't be more uninterested in women's basketball, let alone actually go to a game.

Boy, did that sure change when I saw the magic happening on the floor. I went to another and then another and then I was as hooked as any boneyarder.

Everything was heightened by the fact that I witnessed 4 national championships in 4 years (3 women's and 1 men's including the dual titles)

I thought there'd never be another run in basketball like there was when I was a student in Storrs.

Boy, was I wrong!

Reaction Score
A fan since 2002 when I saw by chance a UConn game on TV and fell in love!

Reaction Score
My first contact with UConn women's basketball was in the pre Geno years. I went to my first game during the 1982-83 season. I was a graduate student looking for cheap entertainment, and nothing is cheaper than free admission. I immediately took a liking to the game and the team, and went to a bunch of games during that season and the next two seasons as well. After that I graduated and moved away from Storrs. I went to one game during Geno's first season, and no games at all over the next few years, although I was always interested in picking up the odd snippets of news about UConn women's basketball that would occasionally leak out in those early Geno years.

During UConn's first trip to the final four, I found that their NCAA tourney games from the Palestra were on television (I believe CPTV picked up the feed), watched them, and found myself obsessing over the team again. My wife, who remembered me attending the women's basketball games while we were at UConn, took notice. Anyway, the following November I found myself listening to a preseason (for the 1991-92 season) interview with Geno on the old Arnold Dean sports talk show. During the course of the interview Geno mentioned that there was an annual women's basketball yearbook was available for sale. I decided that I just had to have it. I mentioned the yearbook to my wife, and told her that I was going to go buy it. My wife cringed, told me don't bother, ran off into another room, and came out with said yearbook. She had already bought it for me as a Christmas gift. That Christmas as a gift she produced tickets to a game in Storrs against North Carolina State. We've been going to games consistently ever since, and we became season ticket holders for the 1994-95 season.

Reaction Score
Mid to late 70's, saw a few games at the civic center. Women played same school before the men, free entry if you had a ticket for the men's game. You could sit anywhere you wanted as there were only some moms and dads and a few junkies like myself in the house.
Don't remember who won but the first ever was vs BC. I am sure the teams shared the bus down to Hartford.

Reaction Score
93-94 when I read an article in a New York or national print outlet (I don't remember where) that praised the WCBB program that a brash young coach was building in Storrs, Connecticut. I have always appreciated sport at its most basic level and with two young daughters at the time I began (with them in eventually tow) to follow the UCONN women as best I could and when CPTV began broadcasting the games we became devoted to each year's team.

This Christmas week my daughters were both home for the Holidays (together) for the first time in years and on the Thursday night of the Maryland game they broke out their Taurasi jerseys and with theirs husbands joining in we cheered this year's team on to victory. For us it's been more than twenty years of fandom and family bonding while rooting for a whole generation of talented teams.

Reaction Score
It was much harder in the days before there was so much info on the Internet. I remember trolling for every bit on the Huskies. Life was good when I found the Courant on line. And when I could subscribe to on-line CPTV--richness!

Reaction Score
I started watching in 1995 when I started seeing a local girl's name in the paper and it noted she played for UConn. I followed Jen Rizzotti when she was at New Fairfield High School and just kept following her. Actually I guess that means I started following before 1995.

Reaction Score
I was watching the NCAA's in 1991, from 1st round through the FF, and the team really grew my interest!
But I really got hooked during the 1994-1995 early season and followed all the way to the Championship.
My buddy and I got season tickets for the 1997-1998 season until the present day and loved every minute of the journey!
Now I don't watch MBB until the Championship game, unless UCONN men are competitive.
As an ex-HS Wrestling Coach, for 32 years; Field Hockey, Boys Soccer, Freshman FB, Outdoor Track, Baseball, spread out through those 32 years, I really liked the selflessness, playing hard no matter what the score or time left, good students/good people, a program with morals and character, Geno & CD didn't change their philosophy/principals when the winning started, no short cuts, they're doing the same team fundamentals that they started with.
They have developed the best PROGRAM in Div. I WBB, hands down, no-one even close!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I've e posted most of this before, but I became a follower when Lobo arrrived and an unabashed fan when I moved to northeastern CT in anticipation of the being near my then-wife's family with the birth of our first kid. I'll never forget Maya's freshman season and have received bounty after bounty since: Maya, Tina, Stef, Bria, Kelly,KML, and of course the recruiting class of 2012. Three of the sport's five longest winning streaks have happened here since I moved to CT. It's been a gift that's kept on giving, in my good health and poor.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Moved to CT in 1988, My wife was just finishing up her senior year at Storrs... I've been A fan of both programs since 1989, Fell in love with the campus for more reasons than one.. Bought a home next door in Coventry in 1990 the rest is history..

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Started following the team during the 94 - 95 season. Caught a game on CPTV when channel surfing. I was immeditely struck by how well these young ladies played the game.

Then I earned that their point guard, Jenn, was a graduate from New Fairfield HS were I taught in the early 80's. When the said who Jenn's coach was, I made a call to him. We were good friends at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom