How good is Crystal Dangerfield? | The Boneyard

How good is Crystal Dangerfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can Geno live with her as the future floor leader in two years and write off Durr?

Or not?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I hope we don't write off Asia, but the videos of Dangerfield are amazing. She is not ranked as highly as MJ (who was the highest ever by HG), but her skills and size are eerily similar to those of our beloved 7th grader. Being greedy--or wanting as much margin for error as possible--I want both.

Reaction Score
... Being greedy--or wanting as much margin for error as possible--I want both.

Let's face it, Durr might cool off on UConn, for any old reason, and Dangerfield is another year out from Durr's timing cycle (a plus). My question is this: would UConn lose much in the swap?

And, yes, there are a lot of assumptions I'm making here.

Reaction Score
Let's face it, Durr might cool off on UConn, for any old reason, and Dangerfield is another year out from Durr's timing cycle (a plus). My question is this: would UConn lose much in the swap?

And, yes, there are a lot of assumptions I'm making here.
I'm curious that if it were reversed, Dangerfield being a recruit for 2015 while Durr was the 2016 recruit, and if Dangerfield was ready to accept a scholarship that therefore would no longer be available for Durr, would Geno go with a "bird in the hand" mindset and offer it to Dangerfield?????

Reaction Score
I'm curious that if it were reversed, Dangerfield being a recruit for 2015 while Durr was the 2016 recruit, and if Dangerfield was ready to accept a scholarship that therefore would no longer be available for Durr, would Geno go with a "bird in the hand" mindset and offer it to Dangerfield?????
Hasn't Dangerfield already been offered?

Reaction Score
Probably but my post was a hypothetical situation where if UConn had only one scholarship available and Dangerfield was willing to commit today, would he still hold out to get Durr???

Reaction Score
Probably but my post was a hypothetical situation where if UConn had only one scholarship available and Dangerfield was willing to commit today, would he still hold out to get Durr???
I think he would take Dangerfield in a second and not look back. That is just my opinion and I realize how good Durr is but Dangerfield is a darn good player herself and a top 3 rated recruit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think he would take Dangerfield i a second and not look back. That is just my opinion and I realize how good Durr is but Dangerfield is a darn good player herself and a top 3 rated recruit.
Hypothetically, if there were room for only one, he'd take the first to commit. I think there is room for both.

Reaction Score

I can't find any evidence for that. Besides, that wasn't the thrust of my original post. I wanted to learn if anyone here could comment on the the difference, if any, there might be between Crystal's 97 and Asia's 98 rating from ESPN. Numbers don't say much by themselves.

Reaction Score
Who thinks they would both come? If Durr commits first, would Dangerfield go somewhere else? And visa versa? Could Geno renege on an offer he made to one if the other commits first? I don't know the etiquette on these things. I do know one thing, they are both excellent players and UCONN doesn't need both of them. I guess that's two things.

45 T0 G0

Reaction Score

I don't think this scenario matches your altered future. Why would there be no available schollie for a 2016 HS graduating Durr? Would nobody be graduating from UConn in 2016?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I wanted to learn if anyone here could comment on the the difference, if any, there might be between Crystal's 97 and Asia's 98 rating from ESPN.

I've mentioned this before but ESPN's star and number ratings for the sophomore class are not updated. They simply slotted them in with no meaning behind them. They won't make specific ratings until sometime during their junior years. Prospects Nation, on the other hand, recently updated their '16 class rankings and put Dangerfield second. They have her, Cox, McCoy, and Holmes as the elite four ahead of the rest of the class.

Reaction Score
I can't find any evidence for that. Besides, that wasn't the thrust of my original post. I wanted to learn if anyone here could comment on the the difference, if any, there might be between Crystal's 97 and Asia's 98 rating from ESPN. Numbers don't say much by themselves.
You can't go by ESPN's numbers rating system at all. I mean it has Durr as a 98 in 2015 and the top 21 of 2014 up to Kathryn Westbeld are 98s. I mean Westbeld is a good player but she is not even in the same stratoshere as a player like Durr.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think this scenario matches your altered future. Why would there be no available schollie for a 2016 HS graduating Durr? Would nobody be graduating from UConn in 2016?
Sorry but I concocted a hypothetical situation which obviously isn't based on fact. That scenario is bogus so we'll never know what the answer would be by Geno having to make that type decision.

Reaction Score
Sorry but I concocted a hypothetical situation which obviously isn't based on fact. That scenario is bogus so we'll never know what the answer would be by Geno having to make that type decision.
Actually, I think it's a good hypothetical question. Will they or won't they.

Reaction Score
Can Geno live with her as the future floor leader in two years and write off Durr?

Or not?
He has Kia Nurse for 4 years. She will be starting this year, and he'll play 2 PGs until MJ leaves.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Today's point guards are so different from ten or fifteen years ago.
Many,now,do not just distribute the ball,but are very good scorers on their own,tremendous defensive players,and good rebounders.
The talent level,as with other positions,has soared over the years.
However,without superior coaching,the full potential of a point guard,or any other player,may never be reached.

Thank the heavens,that Connecticut has a coaching staff,that can get the best out of the players they bring in to the system.

This girl is very talented,as is Durr.I think,though,that whichever,or whomever,Connecticut gets,will be given the best teaching to hone their skills,and,if they pay attention to what is being taught,will be very successful in college basketball.

Dangerfield would be a welcome addition to team Connecticut.

Reaction Score
With all abilities being nearly equal. I believe ' First come, First serve'. Goes with the 'hand & bush' adage.

Reaction Score
As much as I would love to have Asia Durr, I would still take Crystal Dangerfield in a heartbeat if she wanted to come to UCONN.

G

genosguy

Today's point guards are so different from ten or fifteen years ago.
Many,now,do not just distribute the ball,but are very good scorers on their own,tremendous defensive players,and good rebounders.
The talent level,as with other positions,has soared over the years.
However,without superior coaching,the full potential of a point guard,or any other player,may never be reached.

Thank the heavens,that Connecticut has a coaching staff,that can get the best out of the players they bring in to the system.

This girl is very talented,as is Durr.I think,though,that whichever,or whomever,Connecticut gets,will be given the best teaching to hone their skills,and,if they pay attention to what is being taught,will be very successful in college basketball.

Dangerfield would be a welcome addition to team Connecticut.
Were you putting Sue Bird and DT in that equation with the implication that those 2 (and others) couldn't compete with today's Point Guards or 2 guards. Sue may not have scored as often as some would like--but she didn't have to. When the team needed the score (remember the2001 N D BE final reg season game?? She hit a 3/4th court length 3 at the end of the first half and made a driving full court run to win the game with seconds *(or none) left on the clock.
I am pleased the kids today get to play lots of AAU--but Geno's complaint (and others) is there is little coaching on fundamentals and defense. Bird I can speak about, the abilities of those today I allow Geno and others who are more masterful in judging abilities.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
There is a difference in scoring and being efficient. Sue and DT are very efficient and make others around them better. I like Dangerfield as she seems efficient and makes others around her better, more so than some of those uncommitted in 2015.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Were you putting Sue Bird and DT in that equation with the implication that those 2 (and others) couldn't compete with today's Point Guards or 2 guards. Sue may not have scored as often as some would like--but she didn't have to. When the team needed the score (remember the2001 N D BE final reg season game?? She hit a 3/4th court length 3 at the end of the first half and made a driving full court run to win the game with seconds *(or none) left on the clock.
I am pleased the kids today get to play lots of AAU--but Geno's complaint (and others) is there is little coaching on fundamentals and defense. Bird I can speak about, the abilities of those today I allow Geno and others who are more masterful in judging abilities.
Should have put in my post........in general,to start the post.I was not lumping Bird or Diana in my post.As in every class,there are exceptions to what presents itself as exceptional quality,and what is not.Sue and Diana need no explanation how good they were or are,but thank you for pointing out my miscue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom