How fun was that 2nd half to watch? | The Boneyard

How fun was that 2nd half to watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UCONN outscored Memphis 52-18. And that was not only without Stokes, Stewie and Morgan playing a single minute, but with Ekmark playing much of the half as well.

Chong and Williams were so fun to watch. Ekmark is starting to look solid out there. KML almost had a double double, and Nurse was really good. I thought some of Moriah's "mistakes" in the first half had to do with lack of being where they were supposed to be (the kids he pulled). I thought she played well in the 2nd half.

Geno went with 6 players for almost the entire 2nd half. I have no idea if "message received" by Kiah, Stewie and Morgan, but without them, the team pounded Memphis as badly as I think the team would have if those other 3 had played.

There are 4 teams worse than Memphis in the AAC (scary thought given how badly UCONN thumped them in half #2). This was a great game for Geno to experiment. And by leaving the "subs" out there for an extended period of time, I thought their chemistry and ability to find each other and play as a cohesive unit improved as the game went on.

I know Geno saw things he didn't like, but there has to be more to it than what happened the first 5 minutes of the game. I'm guessing it had to do with practices too. It's odd because I don't think he's ever had a negative thing to say about Morgan. Either way I'm not worried. Hopefully message sent, and more importantly, message received.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And while you're at it, take a pair o' these with ya ;)

image-2307200061.jpg

Reaction Score
I dunno, E. I have to disagree on Ekmark ("starting to look solid"). I get she's just a freshman, still learning and was out a while injured, and I'm sure she's a good kid and you can see that she really tries. BUT she often looks lost out there, lacks quickness and strength, and defensively she makes Saniya look Bill Russell-like. I hope over time with continued hard work she'll improve a lot, contribute and prove the skeptics (me) wrong- but I just don't see it.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You know ESD, since the quibblers are going to be lining up to hit you with their best shot, I also need to question you about that focus on the 2nd half. Yeah, I know that the old "garbage time players" we're putting down a 52-18 pasting, but Chong only scored 5 of her 17 points during that time though she did dish out assists and played her seemingly new-found ability to push the D to the max.. And yeah, Gabby was Gabulous, but you know that the RPI ratings have buried UConn and that they will obviously lose since the Gamecrock ratings have them down by -3.

Shame on you for trying to give Husky fans a small vestige of hope. Ask VG and the RPI worshippers. We are dooooooooooooooooooooooomed!!!!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I dunno, E. I have to disagree on Ekmark ("starting to look solid"). I get she's just a freshman, still learning and was out a while injured, and I'm sure she's a good kid and you can see that she really tries. BUT she often looks lost out there, lacks quickness and strength, and defensively she makes Saniya look Bill Russell-like. I hope over time with continued hard work she'll improve a lot, contribute and prove the skeptics (me) wrong- but I just don't see it.

So you're questioning whether Saniya is Bill Russellishhhhhh? He's in line for her autograph at this point.

Yeah I know Ek looks a little clunky when she enters the game. She's kind of like a starting pitcher who becomes really good if she can survive the first inning. But when she gets into the action and starts putting up the stats, Ek's a joy to watch. Maybe Geno should just send her into a scrim against the male players before entering the game to get her warmed up, because when she gets going, Ek is flat-out very good. But yeah, that first minute or two can be a bit trying.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hear ya... but this is my point. Ek clearly lacks athleticism. She doesn't even move as well as KML. BUT she seems less lost to me, and given that she was injured for a good part of the year, I am looking for baby steps from her. That one play where she brought the ball up the court (I think it was all one play), drove into the teeth of the defense and sort of pulled up for a one handed teardrop jumper is something I've not seen from her before, and like I said, baby steps.

You are right - at this time she's definitely #9 in the depth chart, and not as impressive as the other freshmen on the team, but little improvements and small victories are what I'm hoping for from her. I admire that she chose to come to UCONN given that she may realize it's likely she will never be more than a reserve.

I will also add that it IS disappointing that she was one of the best 3 point shooters in her class in HS, and the fact that we've seen NONE of that is a tad mystifying. But as a few others have said in other threads, I don't think it's possible to really get a feel for what she will end up being till next year. Till then I'm more of a cheerleader for her than a criticizer of her (not that you were...)

Reaction Score

I don't agree. IMO she looks fine. She's the 9th player. In addition I know she gets criticized for driving -- but I like how she doesn't want to settle. One thing she needs to do ofc is hit 3's which she hasn't done. Other than that I can see over her career filling out and becoming a fine wing. As logn as she can hit shots. Now a lot depends on the talent coming in also ofc. Bu she seems fine to me.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm on the side of just close your eyes to the first minute or two after Ek enters the game. Then begin lookung at the the stats and you'll see some nice stuff. Sure she's feeling her way on O and D, but I remember a freshman from way back named DT that I felt the same about as times as a freshman. There's a growing experience before you round into shape as as a Husky vet. (And for those who will immediately launch their standard diatribes that Ek is not DT, quite agree, but freshmen are freshmen, especially when they are recuperating from injuries and trying to to do a lot of catch up). Bear with the Ek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom