How could UConn top 2013-14? | The Boneyard

How could UConn top 2013-14?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I started this with the intention of being a completely open discussion.

The 2013-14 season came with enormous expectations for UConn: defending national champion, nucleus of the 2012-13 NC-winning team returning for another season, etc. Well, UConn met and exceeded expectations. The Huskies were ranked #1 wire-to-wire, going 40-0 en route to defending their national championship. Along the way, no opponent came within fewer than 11 points of beating UConn. The looming rivalry game with virtual wire-to-wire #2 and undefeated ND culminated in a 21-point bloodbath. Three kids received WBCA AA recognition, Stef Dolson won DPOY, and Stewie took home three of the major NPOY awards (AP, WBCA, Naismith).

So when you talk about national championships, perfection, and individual accolades, don't you wonder, "Jeez, what can UConn do in 2014-15 to top the season we just enjoyed so much???"

So, what CAN UConn do? 39-0 seems like a great goal, one that would make UConn only the fifth team to three-peat (in addition to Immaculata 1974, Delta State 1977, Tennessee 1998, UConn 2004). It would also put UConn within five games of the record 90-game win streak and tie Geno with John Wooden for NCs. I'd love to see Mo, KML, and Stewie make WBCA AA, and for Stewie to add the Wade and Wooden to her collection of NPOY awards. If Stewie became DPOY too, I wouldn't be shocked.

But if all that happened, would it top 2013-14, or would it "just" be a lot of fun?

And while we're all here (if indeed you're reading this), can anyone else think of a way UConn tops its previous glorious season? Or should we just appreciate how special 2013-14 was with no expectations of topping it?

In any case, this Golden Age of UConn WCBB is fun, ain't it?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
How can they top going 40 - 0?

Practice until you can't get it wrong.

Reaction Score
Here's how to top last season for drama:

Have the team practice until they can't get it right. UConn loses all their regular season games, starting with the exhibition games. The media will go crazy!

Suddenly, the Huskies wake up to win the AAC Tournament, so they do make it into the NCAA's. Then, of course, they run the table the rest of the way, including thrashing Tennessee 120-6 in the Final.

The talking heads will be talking about 2014-2015 for years!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Have the team practice until they can't get it right. UConn loses all their regular season games, starting with the exhibition games. The media will go crazy!

Suddenly, the Huskies wake up to win the AAC Tournament, so they do make it into the NCAA's. Then, of course, they run the table the rest of the way, including thrashing Tennessee 120-6 in the Final.

Sounds like the men a few years back.

Reaction Score

The 2013-14 season came with enormous expectations for UConn: defending national champion, nucleus of the 2012-13 NC-winning team returning for another season, etc. Well, UConn met and exceeded expectations. The Huskies were ranked #1 wire-to-wire, going 40-0 en route to defending their national championship. Along the way, no opponent came within fewer than 11 points of beating UConn. The looming rivalry game with virtual wire-to-wire #2 and undefeated ND culminated in a 21-point bloodbath. Three kids received WBCA AA recognition, Stef Dolson won DPOY, and Stewie took home three of the major NPOY awards (AP, WBCA, Naismith).

So when you talk about national championships, perfection, and individual accolades, don't you wonder, "Jeez, what can UConn do in 2014-15 to top the season we just enjoyed so much???"

So, what CAN UConn do? 39-0 seems like a great goal, one that would make UConn only the fifth team to three-peat (in addition to Immaculata 1974, Delta State 1977, Tennessee 1998, UConn 2004). It would also put UConn within five games of the record 90-game win streak and tie Geno with John Wooden for NCs. I'd love to see Mo, KML, and Stewie make WBCA AA, and for Stewie to add the Wade and Wooden to her collection of NPOY awards. If Stewie became DPOY too, I wouldn't be shocked.

But if all that happened, would it top 2013-14, or would it "just" be a lot of fun?

And while we're all here (if indeed you're reading this), can anyone else think of a way UConn tops its previous glorious season? Or should we just appreciate how special 2013-14 was with no expectations of topping it?

I'll be delighted with lather, rinse, repeat.

Reaction Score

Thanks, but I don't want the drama of your scenario. I agree it would be talked about for years to come but I'd rather have people talking about the precision of the undefeated 2014-2015 team and how the young freshmen came in and integrated seamlessly into their roles in the juggernaut known as UConn women's basketball. I also wouldn't want Geno's winning percentage affected by "drama". I want his legacy to be so phenomenal that he will be the first name uttered whenever people talk of "greatest basketball coaches of all time". JMHO!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

It's been the golden age for about 15 years now! I think they top 2013/14 by going undeafeated this year (two in a row), and then going undefeated the following year (3 in a row). And then four. And then five....

sorry, just had a LeBron moment.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I don't know if you can top perfection, so I'll gladly settle for a (I hope) repeat of it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Just think:

Two or tree games into last season, the wringing of hands and moaning stopped about how could we survive without Kelly.

If the same scenario could be repeated with regard Steff and Bria (that the frosh step up, Kiah advances and heaven forbid, Morgan is game ready), then the season will be made, the results inevitable and I for one will be more than satisfied.

Reaction Score
It is impossible for any succeeding year team to "top" the team before them ... for me, just developing into a new fun cohesive unit with new ways to defeat other teams would be a joy to experience ... the team dynamics are always startling with new players and improved experienced players ... what a group of players UConn has next year (and then the next year) ... if this team can "top" themselves each month from November to March, this is going to be another thrilling season ...

HGN

Reaction Score
There are possibly 2 ways to top last years season. 1) Is to go Undefeated again and beat ND again in the NC game.......and 2) Just beat ND in the NC game.

Ultimately, Nothing is sweeter than a National Championship any way you can get it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Run the table, yet again.

Lead the nation in:

--FG percentage
--Scoring
--Assists
--A/TO ratio
--Fewest points allowed
--Lowest shooting percentage allowed

Set the NCAA record for margin of victory.

Three 1st team AA players.

Moriah wins the Lieberman.

Stewie sets the UConn season scoring record.

Kaleena sets the NCAA season record for threes.

Kiah leads the nation in rebounding and blocks.

UConn players go 1-2 in the draft.

Morgan is the best 6th "man" in the nation.

Courtney shoots 50% from the arc.

Gabby plays as well as Diamond.

Kia Nurse looks like a taller Sue Bird.

The frosh play in garbage time and expand the lead.

Well, you asked. :)

Reaction Score
I was mostly in awe of last years team. I will be happy if this year the players again perform in the same "team first" posture. Last years team did struggle somewhat against teams with big post players, especially BYU. In the NC game they were almost shut down when ND went into the "triangle and two" zone. Except for the two things I mentioned I don't know what else this years team could do better.

Reaction Score
ALEX; I appreciate the things you do to help bring some interest to the board during the off-season.

Reaction Score
MIL: You know, much of what you describe might just well happen. A WHOLE lot of it in fact.....wonder if you'd like to make notes of this list and update us from time to time on how the various items are or are not coming to fruition.

The one thing I hope does not happen is the frosh getting a lot of garbage time; I hope they'll gain experience early and often in games ; and, if they perform like you wish list suggests, that should certainly happen.

Lead the nation in:

--FG percentage
--Scoring
--Assists
--A/TO ratio
--Fewest points allowed

FLhuskey

Toyota FJ Cruiser !
Reaction Score
I am waiting to hear what TonyC has to say about this......

Reaction Score

Lead the nation in:

--FG percentage
--Scoring
--Assists
--A/TO ratio
--Fewest points allowed

THE HALE DOES FREE DRINKS AFTER EVERY HOME GAME.

IT'S DECIDED THAT ALL HOME GAMES ARE AT GAMPEL, NONE IN HARTFORD.

THE JACKRABBIT COMES BACK TO STORRS.

MUFFETT TRIPS AND DOES A REALLY WEIRD FALL ON CAMERA DURING THE FINALS.

Added a few to the list above.

Reaction Score

Lead the nation in:

--FG percentage
--Scoring
--Assists
--A/TO ratio
--Fewest points allowed

Nice wish list! I would add:

Saniya has a phenomenal sophomore leap.

Sadie shows Geno her tremendous work ethic to go with her amazing athleticism.

Tierney is offered a full basketball scholarship.

All players get and stay healthy.

Last but not least, UCONN is invited into the Big 10!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I'm hoping we are healthy enough and deep enough to full court press at will. Losing 2 players, gaining 4, lost Banks, and hopefully getting a healthy Tuck. I would love to see our athleticism highlighted by a lot of pressing & subbing!

Reaction Score
How can we top the 2013-14 season? I figure go 40-0 while only playing the 2nd unit. Now that would be epic :)

Reaction Score

Lead the nation in:

--FG percentage
--Scoring
--Assists
--A/TO ratio
--Fewest points allowed

You forgot Sadie; everybody does. She will be FOY.

Reaction Score
I don't think there's a way for the next team to top the accomplishments of this year's team. But that doesn't mean the incoming team cannot provide fans with amazingly satisfying moments in 2014-15. First, if Kiah and Saniya live up to potential, fans will be really happy. There are a lot of heavy-duty fan expectations of Kiah (some of them perhaps not very realistic), and I just hope she's up to the challenge.

And speaking of potential, the upcoming year would be special if Morgan Tuck's knee responds to surgery and therapy and allows her to make the kind of season-long contribution we all know she's capable of. If there ever was a kid who deserved a chance to prove herself when healthy, It's Morgan. And speaking of healthy, I think fans would be happy if Gabby's knee allowed her to begin to show what she's capable of. With luck, the team will not need her full-time contributions, so a good year for her would be one that teases the fans with hints of what she's able to do when she's 100 percent.

As for the other rookies, it'll be a satisfying year if one or (dare we hope?) two of the three develop quickly under Geno's tutelage. If they are solid contributors all season, that season will be terrific.

As for another undefeated season, it's just going to depend. The out of conference schedule coming up is wonderful, just the kind of schedule those of us complainers wanted UConn to take on for years. Hallelujah! At least for this year, no one like Fairleigh-for-cryin'-out-loud-Dickinson or its ilk. That Florida tournament at Thanksgiving (wish I could go) should be a blast.

Reaction Score
I don't think there's a way for the next team to top the accomplishments of this year's team. But that doesn't mean the incoming team cannot provide fans with amazingly satisfying moments in 2014-15. First, if Kiah and Saniya live up to potential, fans will be really happy. There are a lot of heavy-duty fan expectations of Kiah (some of them perhaps not very realistic), and I just hope she's up to the challenge.

And speaking of potential, the upcoming year would be special if Morgan Tuck's knee responds to surgery and therapy and allows her to make the kind of season-long contribution we all know she's capable of. If there ever was a kid who deserved a chance to prove herself when healthy, It's Morgan. And speaking of healthy, I think fans would be happy if Gabby's knee allowed her to begin to show what she's capable of. With luck, the team will not need her full-time contributions, so a good year for her would be one that teases the fans with hints of what she's able to do when she's 100 percent.

As for the other rookies, it'll be a satisfying year if one or (dare we hope?) two of the three develop quickly under Geno's tutelage. If they are solid contributors all season, that season will be terrific.

As for another undefeated season, it's just going to depend. The out of conference schedule coming up is wonderful, just the kind of schedule those of us complainers wanted UConn to take on for years. Hallelujah! At least for this year, no one like Fairleigh-for-cryin'-out-loud-Dickinson or its ilk. That Florida tournament at Thanksgiving (wish I could go) should be a blast.
Tomcat....You hit it on the head.....Gabby....No one realizes this girls ability....But Geno. Its beyond!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom