How bad will Penn St be? | The Boneyard

How bad will Penn St be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Leaving aside the issue of whether the punishment was or wasnt appropriate (_please_ there are lots of threads where that's already being discussed), a question on how much they'll fall.

Obvioulsy not top 25, but just how weak?

I hear some folks say 1AA ... but there are some very good 1AA teams that could be mediocre 1A teams. On the one hand I'd think Penn St should be able to be as good as a good 1AA team since they've at least got 1A coaches and facilities, even if only 65 scholarships. On the other hand, I guess the drawbacks are that 1AA can attract some pretty good 1A transfers, and that those players are still competing for the playoffs.

Just curious to hear opinions of those who follow the competitiveness levels more closely.

Winless in Big 10 or will they still beat Indiana et al?
2012 nonconf = Ohio, Navy, Virginia, Temple
2013 nonconf = Syracuse, EMich, Kent St, Virginia

Reaction Score
Before this happened going into this year they were a 6 or 7 win team. I don't see that many kids leaving this year. I think they may actually go 1-3 OOC this year but will probably go 2-2. I don't see them winning more than 3 or 4 B1G games either. 5-7 sounds about right for this year.

Going forward is very hard to predict. I would imagine that they will still play at a level of a top tier MAC team, but 6 or 7 years from now is when the lack of depth from the 65 limit will really hurt them. Who knows? I would've bet my house that Hackenberg would've decommitted by now.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Good question. I think another important question is what are the some creative ways around the scholarship problem? I know the creative and (at times) devious mind of the `Yard` could come up with some.

To answer your question I think better than a lot her on the board think. Of course depth is the big problem, so late season could be difficult if injuries start to mount. But I think PSU still has the opportunity to keep/recruit a game breaker or two that MAC schools can´t. That kind of talent differential can keep PSU competitive with the lower half of the BiG and probably still better than the most of the MAC (barring many injuries of course). Don´t know how good the coaching will be which is another big factor, but all things being equal I stand by the above statement.

Reaction Score
I expect them to go to a bowl when they are eligible. With four OOC, all they need is is to win two Big 10 games. At 6-6, with their fanbase, Bowl Committees will be kissing up to them to travel.

Reaction Score
i honestly think 8 games is not at all out of the question depending on whether they can beat an up and coming UVA team. i figure they'll lose to MI, OHST, Wisc and Nebraska, which they probably would have lost anyway. i figure they'll still beat Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, Cuse and Purdue. the BigTen is such a barbell in terms of the competitiveness of their teams i think PSU will still be better than the lousy teams and worse than the really good teams, just like they always are

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
New coach, and hamstrung with schollies. While this should cripple Penn State, I think there are enough supporters of the cult that they will still be able to get good enough talent to be decent. Mid-pack Big Ten team.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
q- how bad will psu be?
a- not as bad as bcu.

Reaction Score
New coach, and hamstrung with schollies. While this should cripple Penn State, I think there are enough supporters of the cult that they will still be able to get good enough talent to be decent. Mid-pack Big Ten team.
Is Joe Paterno a god?

If we were in the B1G, we'd be mid-pack, too. Which is not too bad.

Reaction Score
How bad will Penn State be? If everyone stays, and O'Brien is a good coach, not bad at all. Top 20? 100,000 people at every home game...and yet many in media continue the "worse then the death penalty" nonsense. Brent Mussberger said it will take them more then 10 years to recover.

Reaction Score
How bad will Penn State be? If everyone stays, and O'Brien is a good coach, not bad at all. Top 20? 100,000 people at every game, and yet many in media continue the "worst then the death penalty" nonsense.
First starter to leave is going to start a race for the exits, especially by underclassmen.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I think the crowds will start to fade for a couple of years. A local writer said there was a couple of crowds in the 80's last season due to the new seat licensing ($400 per seat each year, in addition to the actual ticket prices). Coupled with a poor product and no more Joepa for the cult to worship, things may be relatively grim. 6-6 this year, and that is a Rutger-esque OOC next year (except harder) so maybe 5 wins in 2013. The coaching change may actually help performance on the field.

Reaction Score
Not sure that this year will be all that bad, but I think the effects will be cumulative and I do think they will struggle going forward. But remember, people don't pay $400 per seat plus tickets to watch Penn State go 6-6. I think by the end of this they could be struggling both at the gate and on the field. I'll say this year they could well be 7-5, 8-4, but they'll struggle to match that going forward. I think you'll see people saying "gee, these penalties weren't so bad" come December. I think Penn State will be an afterthought come December 2014.

Reaction Score
the problem is Pennstate doesn't think they're being punished, they think they're being victimized. the crowds will still be there to stand up to the NCAA and think they're being righteous by doing so. i think the school in general will circle the wagons and they may even become deeper ingrained in the landscape and culture as a result of all of this. nothing unites a group's spirit as well as everyone else being against them

Reaction Score
Hogwash!

Going with the roster as it is now (not if players start leaving), who is gonna beat them? UConn? You're joking. I'd be delighted, but the Penn State of right this moment is still formidable. Who in the Big East is a threat? Rutgers? Traditionally PSUs beee-yatch. Pitt? Little brother. Syracuse? See Rutgers. Cincy? Not really seeing it? Oh wait. . . I forgot about Temple. Lolol

Reaction Score
Not sure that this year will be all that bad, but I think the effects will be cumulative and I do think they will struggle going forward. But remember, people don't pay $400 per seat plus tickets to watch Penn State go 6-6. I think by the end of this they could be struggling both at the gate and on the field. I'll say this year they could well be 7-5, 8-4, but they'll struggle to match that going forward. I think you'll see people saying "gee, these penalties weren't so bad" come December. I think Penn State will be an afterthought come December 2014.

That'd be terrific, especially if UConn steps up to fill a lot of that void. Maybe December 2014's afterthought will be blinded by the excitement and allure of the UConn program.

Reaction Score
Going with the roster as it is now (not if players start leaving), who is gonna beat them? UConn? You're joking. I'd be delighted, but the Penn State of right this moment is still formidable. Who in the Big East is a threat? Rutgers? Traditionally PSUs beee-yatch. Pitt? Little brother. Syracuse? See Rutgers. Cincy? Not really seeing it? Oh wait. . . I forgot about Temple. Lolol

Temple almost beat them last year before the scandal came to light. I think UCONN could beat them on a neutral site this year. It's not like Penn State has been Alabama good. There is a reason why many Penn Stater's have wanted Joe PA to retire for a loooong time.

That said they probably would be favored to win the Big East assuming nobody leaves, but it would not be an easy road for them.

Reaction Score
Temple almost beat them last year before the scandal came to light. I think UCONN could beat them on a neutral site this year. It's not like Penn State has been Alabama good. There is a reason why many Penn Stater's have wanted Joe PA to retire for a loooong time.

That said they probably would be favored to win the Big East assuming nobody leaves, but it would not be an easy road for them.

we could definitely beat them at a neutral site. i'd consider them the favorite unless our QB/WR situation works as well as some of us think it will, in which case it might be a toss up. PennState would probably be about our 3rd most difficult opponent this year but that says more about our schedule then their talent. that being said i don't think they'll really lose any core players and will end up around a 7 win team this year.

Reaction Score
Could beat them? Maybe. In a seven game series? 4-1 the Nittanys. An if UConn is dependent on the QB/WR situation then they may get shutout in every game in a 4-0 sweep. Not until the passing game shows some D1 legitimacy does UConn have a chance to beat Penn State or any major player. In '09, we saw a glimce of an effective passing attack (courtesy of Frazer and Easley and possibly K. Moore who had his best season as a soph) and that made a big difference. Now the problem the only unit scoring TD's for the Huskies is the defense. . . and the occasional special team big play. So we'll see in a little more than a month. Hope they make believers out of the fans.

pj

Reaction Score
Could beat them? Maybe. In a seven game series? 4-1 the Nittanys. An if UConn is dependent on the QB/WR situation then they may get shutout in every game in a 4-0 sweep.
So we'll see in a little more than a month. Hope they make believers out of the fans.

Why not start with the last two sentences and then say: If they're solid we might whip the Nittany Lions. If they're as bad as last year, we might lose four out of five.

Honestly, your name should be TouchdownEeyore.

Reaction Score
Could beat them? Maybe. In a seven game series? 4-1 the Nittanys. An if UConn is dependent on the QB/WR situation then they may get shutout in every game in a 4-0 sweep. Not until the passing game shows some D1 legitimacy does UConn have a chance to beat Penn State or any major player. In '09, we saw a glimce of an effective passing attack (courtesy of Frazer and Easley and possibly K. Moore who had his best season as a soph) and that made a big difference. Now the problem the only unit scoring TD's for the Huskies is the defense. . . and the occasional special team big play. So we'll see in a little more than a month. Hope they make believers out of the fans.

I'm still trying to figure out how you can go 4-1 in a seven game series. i think that speaks volumes for the sense and thought that TD puts into his ramblings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom