How bad is Adam's injury? | The Boneyard

How bad is Adam's injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I missed the game. Did they say anything about how long he'll be out?

Reaction Score
I was at the game and he had a wrap on his head and seemed disoriented. I doubt he plays against Houston.

Reaction Score
Would be very surprised if he played against Houston. Just hope he's back for the NYE game.

Reaction Score
From the replay he was clearly out cold while falling and woke up a second after his head hit the court. Not good at all.

Reaction Score
I feel really bad for him. Looks like he got two concussions on the same play. He was knocked out by the other player's arm/elbow, then fell to the floor unconscious and slammed his head onto the court.

Reaction Score
Reminded me of a boxer getting knocked out and head hits the floor directly. Whatever happened he was definitely knocked out for a couple of seconds after impact and while falling.

I feel bad all game I was complaining about us not going after loose balls and then when Jalen does he gets knocked out.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Very ugly collision (and of course a foul on the guy got knocked out.) He'd be lucky if he didn't do some damage to his shoulder as well. He landed very awkwardly.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Can someone with head trauma experience fill us in?
Maybe you already did?

Reaction Score
Very ugly collision (and of course a foul on the guy got knocked out.) He'd be lucky if he didn't do some damage to his shoulder as well. He landed very awkwardly.
For all the bad calls in that game (all against us), that wasn't one of them. They were both going for the ball, the other guy got their first. Pretty cut and dry call.

Worst call of the game was probably the offensive foul call on Brimah when they guy just flopped. Gave Brimah #4.

Reaction Score
Can someone with head trauma experience fill us in?
Maybe you already did?
When did it happen? I missed the game and haven't watched the replay. I watched the box score updates and obviously frequent here so I know exactly how the game went; no real desire to watch the replay.

But I do have a fair amount of TBI experience so I'll watch that part and speak on it if I feel I have something to say

Reaction Score
I've had several concussions and they all affect you differently. Some of the minor ones I've gotten like from soccer and motorcycle accident left me out of commission for a week or 2. The worst one I got was snowboarding and that one knocked me out like it appears the one Jalen got did. That one bothered me for months. I was back playing soccer and snowboarding within probably 2 or 3 weeks but I had terrible migraines which I still get occasionally years later.

My guess is he's out about 2 weeks, but I'd expect him to be pretty tentative when he returns. Depending on how many (if any) prior concussions he's had it only gets worse

pj

Reaction Score
When did it happen? I missed the game and haven't watched the replay. I watched the box score updates and obviously frequent here so I know exactly how the game went; no real desire to watch the replay.

But I do have a fair amount of TBI experience so I'll watch that part and speak on it if I feel I have something to say

It's in the ESPN video article linked above. Here is a direct link: http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=18340792&endcard=false

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've had several concussions and they all affect you differently. Some of the minor ones I've gotten like from soccer and motorcycle accident left me out of commission for a week or 2. The worst one I got was snowboarding and that one knocked me out like it appears the one Jalen got did. That one bothered me for months. I was back playing soccer and snowboarding within probably 2 or 3 weeks but I had terrible migraines which I still get occasionally years later.

My guess is he's out about 2 weeks, but I'd expect him to be pretty tentative when he returns. Depending on how many (if any) prior concussions he's had it only gets worse

Yeah, me too. Exact same sports: Soccer (multiple), Snowboarding (multiple). Got one playing hockey too.

One soccer one kept me out a few months actually, couldn't get out of bed for 3 days, was a mess for a week. Nausea was incredible.

Snowboarding, the most would be a week or so. Thank god for the helmet. I usually came back too fast though.

Saniya Chong on the women's side was out for a bunch of games with a concussion just recently.

Reaction Score
*I am not a doctor. I just work with the brain injured on a daily basis as a cognitive-linguistic therapist.*

Watched it a few times in slow and regular speeds.

First off, he's lucky he didn't dislocate his shoulder when he hit the floor. God in slow motion I was cringing harder and harder waiting for it to pop, even though I knew it wouldn't/didn't.

The initial blow was the other player's elbow contacting his chin. That kind of impact made Jalen's head twist very quickly in that rotating direction, like getting caught on the chin in boxing. What actually causes this brief altered level of arousal is actually due to the specific torque applied to the brainstem (i.e. not from direct blunt or shearing trauma to tissue), which is itself a central player in regulating the body's level of consciousness. One could argue that there could be some trauma to the nerves known as "axonal shearing" that is essentially stretched nerves resulting in damage, however if any serious injury had occurred to Jalen's brainstem, he would not have bounced right up. I think he may have been just suuuuuper dazed.

That is why I don't think he completely lost consciousness on the way down. Would have appreciated more than one view, but it almost appears as though Jalen was "woken up" by the much more severe blow, which was the completely unimpeded impact from 6ish feet in the air to hard wood floor. If anything, this is what caused the concussion he clearly suffered. Everyone saw how woozy he was. He had a tough time standing up straight (doc physically pulled him up by the jersey a bit). His eyes were half open walking to the bench. Kinda looked like someone who may momentarily have forgotten where he is, or maybe his head just hurt real bad. Didn't seem too dizzy or weak. I think that had his head not hit the floor, and all that happened was the elbow to the chin, he would have eventually shaken it off and have been able to return to the game.

Fortunately, there was no clear loss of consciousness from the impact with the floor, which is a good sign that it wasn't too severe. The two most indicative factors regarding severity of brain injury are 1) length of loss of consciousness (N/A) and 2) distance back of retrospective amnesia i.e. the last thing he remembers (We can't know because we weren't there listening).

Guessing he will be okay with the minimum concussion protocol, whatever that is, and can re-join action once he feels comfortable; no headaches or anything like others have mentioned.

But hey, what do I know

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
For the military, our TBI protocol calls for a mental acuity (MACE exam) minimum of 24 hours of rest away from stimulating activity. Then re-evaluation with another MACE. If the patient has any residual adverse symptoms then the time of rest is extended. He certainly took a hard hit, but patients respond differently, so it is not possible to estimate his recovery from merely viewing the incident.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Exactly. No set amount of time for such things. But somehow I doubt it was the "couple of days" variety.
When I look at the replay it reminds me of a boxer taking a wicked shot to the head the way it snapped back so fast and far and would certainly been a KO or TKO if he were in
a boxing match. That was brutal and he didn't see it coming. Hope Jalen gets well soon.

Reaction Score
Everything that could go wrong for us has happened. Expectations went down fast with injury after injury and with key players. Team is giving all its got I think we all see it and thats something to be proud of. Go down fighting to the end no matter what.

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty good news he doesn't have to get on a plane to travel for his next game although it may not make a difference.

Hope he's fine, just another bump in the highway of UConn 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom