Houston wants to keep their options open | The Boneyard

Houston wants to keep their options open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Houston is keeping their options open by not just focusing on the Big12.

Link

Gotta save face somehow.
Let's be honest if your a G5 school your future is at best sketchy.
We are are all pretty desperate . If I were a Houston strategist I would be leaking rumors of a possible SEC invitation.
With two Texas schools that conference is in position to challenge the B12 for eyeballs. Especially if you pair them with Oklahoma ,who if they leave will choose that conference. They need a link to the state of Texas to remain relevant.
Houston to the PAC12 hardly scares anyone.
The only school from Texas the PAC would even consider is UT the only other PAC12 team Kansas.
Then again thevPAC did take U of A so maybe their is s chance

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No one knows what happen in the future, it is why EVERYONE is lining up IN CASE the Big 12 expands. They seem to be where we were after the ACC spurned us. Our school is quiet publicly, which I do not believe is a sign of a pending invite, but there is a lot less spinning to do if things don't go your way.

Reaction Score
Houston would be a good add for the ACC. At least market-wise.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Houston has 2 options:

1. remain in the AAC / G5;
2. use one of their lobbyist slimeball boosters and Texas politics to strong-arm their way into the B12 as a short-term fix (then OU leaves shortly after to lead to the destruction of the conference, ironically)

That's it.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma doesn't need a link to Texas to be relevant. OU was never in a conference with any Texas school until the Big 12 formed in 1996.

OU could go to any conference it wants if OU decides to leave the Big 12.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Houston has 2 options:

2. use one of their lobbyist slimeball boosters and Texas politics to strong-arm their way into the B12 as a short-term fix (then OU leaves shortly after to lead to the destruction of the conference, ironically)

That's it.
I forget where I saw this -- probably this thread, to be honest -- but SEC got better ratings in Houston than the Big 12 did last year, obviously because of A&M. Given that and Baylor's plummeting value, I could see a way Baylor gets kicked out and Houston is invited as their replacement, while 2 or 4 other schools are added in expansion.

Things are getting really bad (deservedly so) for Baylor:

What’s next for Baylor? More lawsuits, investigations and penalties, experts say

Houston, meanwhile, is a bigger school in a bigger market that suddenly needs shoring up.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Houston has 2 options:

That's it.

If UH had any clout in the TX state legislature they wouldn't be where they have been for the past 20 years. The folks in Austin were wet pants scared to let the Coogs into the B12 because they experienced considerable difficulty beating them in football during Houston's 20 seasons in the SWC. UT wants no part of legitimizing the Houston athletic program. As long as UT continues to be a member of the B12, Houston will never be invited to join. That's the reason for all this fallback stuff from the Coogs.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I forget where I saw this -- probably this thread, to be honest -- but SEC got better ratings in Houston than the Big 12 did last year, obviously because of A&M. Given that and Baylor's plummeting value, I could see a way Baylor gets kicked out and Houston is invited as their replacement, while 2 or 4 other schools are added in expansion.

What’s next for Baylor? More lawsuits, investigations and penalties, experts say

Houston, meanwhile, is a bigger school in a bigger market that suddenly needs shoring up.

That will never happen. Baylor will only leave the B12 if the entire conference implodes and the members all get picked up by other conferences.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
That will never happen. Baylor will only leave the B12 if the entire conference implodes and the members all get picked up by other conferences.
It's not that they would leave, it's that they would/could be forced out.

I don't think it will happen, or is anything close to likely. But would you rather have a small, scandal-ridden school from Waco or a large, public university from Houston that's on the upswing in a crucial market?

Again: I don't think it will happen. But I bet it's a conversation the powers that be will have.

Reaction Score
It would be completely unprecedented to dismiss a team from a conference for conduct. My gut instinct says that is the last thing P5 programs want to be an option. Baylor may be the latest and perhaps most egregious example of misconduct but what if instead of Baylor it was UT? Is the Big12 going to throw out UT based on the Baylor precedence? There is always another scandal and the P5 programs want to protect themselves from devastating repercussions.

Baylor is more likely to get really hammered by NCAA sanctions and then given the radioactive treatment by other conferences if the Big12 explodes. Baylor should be 100% voting for expansion now cause they need the Big12 to survive more than ever. If the Big12 implodes before the cloud over Baylor clears...welcome to the MWC.

The one conference that would celebrate the ability to thrown out a school for conduct would be the ACC. I can see ACC Commissioner Swofford right now plotting how to plant evidence on BC. Sure BC would be a tough target since they don't recruit, don't spend money on their athletics, and don't cut any corners since winning does not matter. But where there is a will, there is a way and the ACC has to be dying to cut that BC boat anchor away. The good news is the ACC has a secret weapon in FSU and Louisville. FSU/UL have years of successfully spinning and minimizing scandals and I'm pretty sure they are more than qualified to reverse engineer an unrecoverable scandal on BC.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Oklahoma doesn't need a link to Texas to be relevant. OU was never in a conference with any Texas school until the Big 12 formed in 1996.

Open invite to AAC!

Reaction Score

Oklahoma has always had a connection with Texas.
Texas and Oklahoma have met 110 times on the field.
Without the Texas connection, Oklahoma would become another Arkansas or Nebraska.

Reaction Score
Houston has 2 options:

That's it.

You have it wrong.
Oklahoma initially supported the idea of having Houston in the Big 12. Then OU publicly supported Cincinnati.
Then the OU president said he got ahead of himself after he started all the chit and he makes a statement that OU is committed to the Big 12 (it seems we've heard that before like when OU tried to get into the Pac 12 without Texas, only to be turned away in the end).

And now we have the lunacy coming from Memphis and Houston on why they should be included. Both schools have billionaire supporters. The stupidity, the insufferable arrogance and the sense of entitlement coming from UH fans is beyond belief.
And Colorado State sending brochures to the Big 12: Colorado State's pitch to the Big 12 looks like this 12-page brochure - SBNation.com
The Orlando Sentinel started a video message directed to the Big 12 asking for the conference to consider UCF. Then this happened:
UCF president speaks with Channel 9 about interest in joining Big 12 Conference | WFTV
And before any of this, BYU's Bronco Mendenhall made his public plea for Big 12 membership. Now Bronco coaches at Virginia because he said independence for BYU is not sustainable.

As for Houston, there is absolutely nothing the Texas politicians can do to get the school in the Big 12. Nor should they want to. UH has no clout.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Baylor's real problem is that they're not North Carolina. If it was in Baylor's situation, UNC would face zero sanctions.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma has always had a connection with Texas.
Texas and Oklahoma have met 110 times on the field.
Without the Texas connection, Oklahoma would become another Arkansas or Nebraska.

I'm sorry but I don't buy your argument. OU and UT were in separate conferences for a lifetime before the formation of The Big 12. Over that time period OU not UT was the superior program. Their connection to Texas does not end because they leave The Big 12. Unlike Nebrsaka their connection to the state will remain because of their proximity to it. They don't need to play Baylor or Tech to get kids interested in playing in Norman. Geography dictates that they are in the market.

One can argue that with the loss of UT's two other historical rivals A & M and AK that maintaining a date with the Sooners is as important or even more important to The Horns. If Texas handles things poorly they could end up watching OU play neutral site games against LSU, A&M, or other name programs within Texas every year as opposed to playing the Red River. The idea that OU would become another Arkansas because they were playing in The B1G or SEC is comical at best.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I don't buy your argument. OU and UT were in separate conferences for a lifetime before the formation of The Big 12. Over that time period OU not UT was the superior program. Their connection to Texas does not end because they leave The Big 12. Unlike Nebrsaka their connection to the state will remain because of their proximity to it. They don't need to play Baylor or Tech to get kids interested in playing in Norman. Geography dictates that they are in the market.

One can argue that with the loss of UT's two other historical rivals A & M and AK that maintaining a date with the Sooners is as important or even more important to The Horns. If Texas handles things poorly they could end up watching OU play neutral site games against LSU, A&M, or other name programs within Texas every year as opposed to playing the Red River. The idea that OU would become another Arkansas because they were playing in The B1G or SEC is comical at best.

Why is it necessary for me to have to prove you wrong?
Here is the record for the Texas vs Oklahoma games in the 110 times they played each other:
Winsipedia - Texas Longhorns vs. Oklahoma Sooners football series history
Red River Showdown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So based on the information provided in the links above, you want to claim Oklahoma was the superior program? Wrong!
Oklahoma couldn't even get into the Pac 12 when it attempted to go there without Texas.
Yes, the SEC gave OU an invitation once just like it gave Texas an invitation once. OU's invitation ended up at Missouri. The SEC has no need for Oklahoma State and that is unfortunate for OU.
If OU decides to leave (without Oklahoma State in toll), what makes you think Texas would remain in the conference? Texas is already on record for saying that if it had to give up the LHN, it would be to change conferences.
Oklahoma in any conference (other than the Big 12) would be just another school. It wouldn't be getting top billing like it enjoys now.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
You have it wrong.
Oklahoma initially supported the idea of having Houston in the Big 12. Then OU publicly supported Cincinnati.
Then the OU president said he got ahead of himself after he started all the chit and he makes a statement that OU is committed to the Big 12 (it seems we've heard that before like when OU tried to get into the Pac 12 without Texas, only to be turned away in the end).

And now we have the lunacy coming from Memphis and Houston on why they should be included. Both schools have billionaire supporters. The stupidity, the insufferable arrogance and the sense of entitlement coming from UH fans is beyond belief.
And Colorado State sending brochures to the Big 12: Colorado State's pitch to the Big 12 looks like this 12-page brochure - SBNation.com
The Orlando Sentinel started a video message directed to the Big 12 asking for the conference to consider UCF. Then this happened:
UCF president speaks with Channel 9 about interest in joining Big 12 Conference | WFTV
And before any of this, BYU's Bronco Mendenhall made his public plea for Big 12 membership. Now Bronco coaches at Virginia because he said independence for BYU is not sustainable.

As for Houston, there is absolutely nothing the Texas politicians can do to get the school in the Big 12. Nor should they want to. UH has no clout.

My post was essentially poking fun at the UH fans that I've come across that usually cite to me that I do not understand "Texas politics". I understand one thing: having too many schools in the same state is what has led to the conference problem in the first place. Of course, you Texas supporters don't have to worry about your permanent fixture in a power conference. But the rest of the Texas-based schools do and adding another small fish to feed will only make the problem worse. That's my opinion, anyway.

As for OU, you are right - I do not know the complete history of B12 expansion and who has supported who in the past. I'm just going by what President Boren has said most recently: they want to expand the footprint of the conference so that they can develop a conference network. Adding UH does nothing to move those goals along and, from that standpoint alone, I've got to think that a UH addition will not be to OU's liking (without adding better candidates like UConn, BYU, etc that would add strength to a B12N).

Reaction Score
My post was essentially poking fun at the UH fans that I've come across that usually cite to me that I do not understand "Texas politics". I understand one thing: having too many schools in the same state is what has led to the conference problem in the first place. Of course, you Texas supporters don't have to worry about your permanent fixture in a power conference. But the rest of the Texas-based schools do and adding another small fish to feed will only make the problem worse. That's my opinion, anyway.

As for OU, you are right - I do not know the complete history of B12 expansion and who has supported who in the past. I'm just going by what President Boren has said most recently: they want to expand the footprint of the conference so that they can develop a conference network. Adding UH does nothing to move those goals along and, from that standpoint alone, I've got to think that a UH addition will not be to OU's liking (without adding better candidates like UConn, BYU, etc that would add strength to a B12N).

It seems to me UH fans wish UH had the clout to have an impact on Texas politicians in the numbers that would be needed to cause change.
That is not the case. Heck, the governor of Texas is a University of Texas graduate.
If UH were to be fortunate to get a spot in the Big 12, it isn't going to be because of Texas politics.

You are absolutely right about the problem with having too many schools from the same state. If UH were in the Big 12, almost half the conference would be located in the state of Texas (5 out of 12 schools). I am not even sure the non-Texas schools would support the idea of having the conference be more Texas-centric than what it is now.

Several months ago, there was a lot of discussion on coogfans.com that Oklahoma's president supported having UH in the conference. There were even links provided by some of the posters. Then eventually the discussions seemed to die down, only to be replaced with discussions of Boren giving his support to Cincinnati. Links were provided to support those claims as well.

Boren, being publicly outspoken about what the Big 12 should do (instead of having those discussions behind closed doors), made it appear like he was speaking for the conference. He had to be reprimanded by the Big 12 for doing that.

The other thing that became obvious to everyone was Boren putting Texas on the spot publicly about the Longhorn Network. He later commented that he wasn't trying to do that. According to the Austin American Statesman, however, a top Texas official is now on record for saying that if Texas were to give up the Longhorn Network, it would be to change conferences.

Boren has the idea that having a conference network would help the Big 12 keep up financially with the Big Ten and the SEC. That will never be the case. The Big 12 doesn't have the population in its current footprint to support such a network and even adding more schools, it still wouldn't help the situation. Also, ESPN would never sponsor such a network, especially now that it has been cutting back on expenses and laying off folks and with the current trend of cable subscribers terminating their subscriptions (the cord cutters) in favor of less expensive options.

It is interesting that after Boren started the chain reaction of expansion discussions in the media and among G5 hopefuls, he goes public with saying maybe he got ahead of himself.

And now everyone is sitting on pins and needles, waiting to see what is going to happen in the next conference meeting which starts at the end of this month.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is it necessary for me to have to prove you wrong?
Here is the record for the Texas vs Oklahoma games in the 110 times they played each other:
Winsipedia - Texas Longhorns vs. Oklahoma Sooners football series history
Red River Showdown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So based on the information provided in the links above, you want to claim Oklahoma was the superior program? Wrong!
Oklahoma couldn't even get into the Pac 12 when it attempted to go there without Texas.
Yes, the SEC gave OU an invitation once just like it gave Texas an invitation once. OU's invitation ended up at Missouri. The SEC has no need for Oklahoma State and that is unfortunate for OU.
If OU decides to leave (without Oklahoma State in toll), what makes you think Texas would remain in the conference? Texas is already on record for saying that if it had to give up the LHN, it would be to change conferences.
Oklahoma in any conference (other than the Big 12) would be just another school. It wouldn't be getting top billing like it enjoys now.

You definitely have more all time wins in the series. I don't recall disputing that. I still think that OU is the overall superior program. Higher win percentage, more titles, bowl wins, All Americans, Heisman Winners etc. I certainly didn't claim that OU was a more attractive program in realignment than UT, or that they would have the same options as Texas on the open market.

Why would I, or OU care what Texas decided to do should The Sooners leave The Big 12? They'll already be in a far more lucrative and stable situation then they currently find themselves in now. As far as being just another school, OU would have a chance to write that narrative on the field. They would be among the favorites in either a B1G or SEC West every year. Win enough of the big games on the schedule and they quickly become more than just another team.

Reaction Score
You definitely have more all time wins in the series. I don't recall disputing that. I still think that OU is the overall superior program. Higher win percentage, more titles, bowl wins, All Americans, Heisman Winners etc. I certainly didn't claim that OU was a more attractive program in realignment than UT, or that they would have the same options as Texas on the open market.

Why would I, or OU care what Texas decided to do should The Sooners leave The Big 12? They'll already be in a far more lucrative and stable situation then they currently find themselves in now. As far as being just another school, OU would have a chance to write that narrative on the field. They would be among the favorites in either a B1G or SEC West every year. Win enough of the big games on the schedule and they quickly become more than just another team.

Yeah, what you think and what was and is reality are definitely two very different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom