Houston’s Ambition Cut by What It Can’t Offer: A Spot in the Power 5 (Nocera@NYT) | The Boneyard

Houston’s Ambition Cut by What It Can’t Offer: A Spot in the Power 5 (Nocera@NYT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the Article, the most telling paragraphs outside of not being in a P5 conference are:

Jed Hughes, a former coach who now works at the search firm Korn Ferry, said that the track record of those with experience leading programs was better than those who had been only high-profile coordinators before stepping into top jobs.

“If you’re talking about the elite schools, the success of coordinators with no head-coaching experience going in isn’t very good,” he said, adding: “These large elite jobs are not for on-the-job training. It’s too complex; it’s too complicated.”

Seem like we over bought for HCBD. Did we use Korn Ferry as the search firm? I don't remember but probably not.

Reaction Score
From the Article, the most telling paragraphs outside of not being in a P5 conference are:

Jed Hughes, a former coach who now works at the search firm Korn Ferry, said that the track record of those with experience leading programs was better than those who had been only high-profile coordinators before stepping into top jobs.

“If you’re talking about the elite schools, the success of coordinators with no head-coaching experience going in isn’t very good,” he said, adding: “These large elite jobs are not for on-the-job training. It’s too complex; it’s too complicated.”

Seem like we over bought for HCBD. Did we use Korn Ferry as the search firm? I don't remember but probably not.

They used Parker Executive Search for both Diaco and Benedict. Korn Ferry was used by UT to grab Charlie Strong in 2014 though.

Reaction Score
That was a good read shedding light on how things went down in the Big 12 cattle call and also the type of programs we are up against in this conference. We need to get our act together big time and get the best OC on the planet.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Sheds a lot of light on Renu Khator as well. That lady is a rock star. Showed up at Purdue barely able to speak English and worked her way through a master's program while learning a new language. She seems tough as nails and is super-involved with the sports programs at UH. They're lucky to have her.

Reaction Score
Sheds a lot of light on Renu Khator as well. That lady is a rock star. They're lucky to have her.
With all due respect to Ms Khator, I wouldn't trade Susan Herbst. It's not even a close call.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
With all due respect to Ms Khator, I wouldn't trade Susan Herbst. It's not even a close call.
Where did anyone say we'd trade Herbst for her. She is 100% right here though, nothing wrong with being honest to your supporters at this point

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Where did anyone say we'd trade Herbst for her. She is 100% right here though, nothing wrong with being honest to your supporters at this point
Ditto.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Speaking of the coaching seach firms... anyone else feel like a group of us on here could easily do this job for like a faction of the cost?? lol

I always thought it was a waste of money. Like if you follow CFB and understand the landscape and what your school's needs and budget are- then how could you not have a short list of guys to bring in or at least contact?? Hell- we've made lists on this board for years for new position coaches, corrdinators and even HC's. lol

Reaction Score
Khator has massively mortgaged UH's financial future by spending on athletics in such a way that only a P5 invite will return the investment they made. Yes, their facilities are strong and they tried to pay Herman a huge salary, but they were spending money they don't have.

UH banks on joining big leagues to 'sustain' athletics spending

Khator admits as such in an email the article quoted: "it will be difficult for us to sustain it" if they don't get into a major conference. She's done a great job of getting everyone behind the effort to get into a P5 conference, but they're spending money they literally do not have.

C

Chief00

Khator has massively mortgaged UH's financial future by spending on athletics in such a way that only a P5 invite will return the investment they made. Yes, their facilities are strong and they tried to pay Herman a huge salary, but they were spending money they don't have.

UH banks on joining big leagues to 'sustain' athletics spending

Khator admits as such in an email the article quoted: "it will be difficult for us to sustain it" if they don't get into a major conference. She's done a great job of getting everyone behind the effort to get into a P5 conference, but they're spending money they literally do not have.

She is a leader with onions - - good for here

Reaction Score
She is a leader with onions - - good for here
She's taken some risky, risky financial bets. Five to 10 years from now we'll see what their financial and conference status is.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Speaking of the coaching seach firms... anyone else feel like a group of us on here could easily do this job for like a faction of the cost?? lol

I always thought it was a waste of money. Like if you follow CFB and understand the landscape and what your school's needs and budget are- then how could you not have a short list of guys to bring in or at least contact?? Hell- we've made lists on this board for years for new position coaches, corrdinators and even HC's. lol

I'd be willing to handle clock management for the team free of charge. Just pay my airfare from Dallas every weekend.

Reaction Score

Dude I could not agree more. I don't understand why a D1 Athletic Director needs to hire a search firm. Shouldn't he/she be able to conduct themselves. I feel like this is one of those stupid procedure things.

Reaction Score
Dude I could not agree more. I don't understand why a D1 Athletic Director needs to hire a search firm. Shouldn't he/she be able to conduct themselves. I feel like this is one of those stupid procedure things.

It's not really for identifying candidates - it's for everything else that goes w/ on-boarding a high salary high visibility person. Better access and back channels for background screening, etc... Few do it in house, it's a CYA thing for the most part.

Reaction Score
It's not really for identifying candidates - it's for everything else that goes w/ on-boarding a high salary high visibility person. Better access and back channels for background screening, etc... Few do it in house, it's a CYA thing for the most part.

Bla Bla Bla sounds like a lot of BS to me.

Similar to when in think in 2011 UConn paid some consulting firm to figure out how the athletic department could make more money. Surprise they told them to raise ticket prices.....

I swear sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69