Hot Stove: Maryland to B1G? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hot Stove: Maryland to B1G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
MD is the easiest B1G target that falls into what they want. Big market location, very solid academics, big school with a wealthy donor a la Phil Knight willing to pump money into the school, no latch on state school to worry about (UNC-NC State, UVA-VT, etc.), not a huge geographic outlier, at least no more so than PSU, and good enough on field performance. Certainly a good basketball addition, and they probably feel with some revitalization (read: new coach) and stadium upgrades, they can get football on track as well. There really are no roadblocks to MD, as there would be with just about every other ACC public school.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Ha... I read that too quickly and thought you meant MD's revitalization was coming from Randy, instead of from Randy being fired and replaced.

Reaction Score
Posted this on the board as well...

Maryland was pissed about having Notre Dame shoved down their throats. And they were not the only ones. If the B1G took Maryland, they will probably take another.

So let's entertain the following, even if it is far fetched and unlikely.

1. Maryland and another ACC School get sucked in the the B1G

2. The ACC subsequently has to replenish and they take UConn and Rutgers.

3. The Big 12 pulls the trigger on Louisville and Cincy.

4. The "New" Big East collapses as a football conference.

Even more far fetched and unlikely.

1. Maryland and UConn move to the B1G together.

2. Rutgers goes to the ACC.

3. The Big 12 expands again and takes Louisville and Cincy.​
images

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Question would be how many schools would the B1G take? It's been speculated on before but that's all it's ever been... speculation. What I can imagine is that if UConn winds up getting a B1G invite with 3 other schools, it would be slightly preferable having other eastern seaboard states involved, namely NJ/Rutgers, Maryland and one other , maybe UVA. Of course UConn would jump at any invite, and any B1G expansion would be driven by whether the profits for the BTN would be worth the costs of dividing the money further. On the other scenario, it would be slightly less attractive for UConn to be in an ACC minus Rutgers and Maryland than an ACC with RU/MD in it, but again not enough to stop UConn from jumping.

Any scenario is only a remote possibility and the events are out of our hands. But if the rumors gain steam, it'll be #BegHarder time again.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ohio State board is all over this too. Some think it is a bunch of baloney. Others wondering who the other team is. Mostly people think Rutgers, although one really smart guy suggested UConn. Unanimous view that they do not want Louisville, Cincy or Pitt.

If true, it's a win for UConn no matter how you slice it. I doubt that the B1G comes that far east and then doesn't add another eastern team, which would be RU or UConn. If RU, then UConn is a lock for the ACC to replace Maryland. We simply can't lose in this scenario.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Ohio State board is all over this too. Some think it is a bunch of baloney. Others wondering who the other team is. Mostly people think Rutgers, although one really smart guy suggested UConn. Unanimous view that they do not want Louisville, Cincy or Pitt.

If true, it's a win for UConn no matter how you slice it. I doubt that the B1G comes that far east and then doesn't add another eastern team, which would be RU or UConn. If RU, then UConn is a lock for the ACC to replace Maryland. We simply can't lose in this scenario.

Exactly. The only scenario in which we lose is relegation to Division I-AA, a/k/a, the New Big East.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
all we need is 1 moving east coast slot

Reaction Score
The big picked Nebraska a school with a great athletic tradition, they won't take Maryland a school that hasn't even been relevant in their own conference. The whole world would laugh at the Big 10, Big 12 gets West Virginia, Notre Dame moves to ACC and Big responds with Maryland. That would really sit well with Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St, Penn St, Wisconsin, Nebraska bring in an ACC afterthought.

Reaction Score
The big picked Nebraska a school with a great athletic tradition, they won't take Maryland a school that hasn't even been relevant in their own conference. The whole world would laugh at the Big 10, Big 12 gets West Virginia, Notre Dame moves to ACC and Big responds with Maryland. That would really sit well with Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St, Penn St, Wisconsin, Nebraska bring in an ACC afterthought.

Please, The BIG has Illionois,Indiana,Minnesota,Iowa,Northwestern and Purdue. It's not about being stocked with powerhouses. For Every "Nebraska" they have a school that is a Maryland or lower.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
The whole world can laugh at the Big Ten, but they can take solace in their swimming pool full of money.

scrooge-mcduck.jpg

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

No we're doomed, doomed I say, DOOOOMED.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
pretty pretty please b10 commish...

neb/wisc/minn/msu/mich/iowa/pur/ill/nw
unc/uva/md/ruty/uconn/psu/tosu/nd/ind

junglehusky

Reaction Score
pretty pretty please b10 commish...

neb/wisc/minn/msu/mich/iowa/pur/ill/nw
unc/uva/md/ruty/uconn/psu/tosu/nd/ind
Let ND rot in the ACC. And though I'd love playing UNC every year in bball, let's assume they're the least likely to leave the ACC, so that leaves us with an even 16 (I think).

Reaction Score
The B1G absolutely has to expand to areas that have more "stable" populations in order to keep up with the Joneses. Might sound crazy, but if they took in Texas, Oklahoma, Rutgers and UConn, we'd be part of a college football paradise.

Every single state in the Big 10 is growing except Michigan

Reaction Score
The big makes moves based on their TV network, not on field performance. Adding DC adds money.

pj

Reaction Score
The big makes moves based on their TV network, not on field performance. Adding DC adds money.

Yes. So does adding New Jersey and Connecticut.

They took Nebraska for football brand, there aren't many football brands available on the market, but the northeast markets are up for grabs.

B1G: Md / Rutgers / UConn / Kansas please!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if the big went to 18 with unc/uva/md/ruty/uconn/nd these tv mks would all be locks in the b10Network

1)ny
3)chi
4)phili
7)boston
9)dc
11)det
15)min-stp
17)clev
21)stl
23)pitt
24)char
25)indy
26)balt
27)rd
30)hart-nh

thats 15 of the top 30...

Reaction Score
if the big went to 18 with unc/uva/md/ruty/uconn/nd these tv mks would all be locks in the b10Network

1)ny
3)chi
4)phili
7)boston
9)dc
11)det
15)min-stp
17)clev
21)stl
23)pitt
24)char
25)indy
26)balt
27)rd
30)hart-nh

thats 15 of the top 30...
They won't, and we're not going to the B1G.

Reaction Score
why not? and why not?
18 is an odd number, they'd go to 16 if anything, no need to go up to 18 and have odd-numbered divisions. Our football program simply is just not good enough to get in there. Yes, we have the market share stuff and all of that, but plain and simple, we're still too new, we have virtually no track record in football, we have not shown consistent fan support (read: no one cares to watch us on TV - mostly what B1G cares about), our stadium is too small and there's not enough demand to expand it, we're not a realistic candidate for the B1G. I'd love to be wrong, but it's simply not the case. If we're going anywhere, it's likely the ACC.

Reaction Score
Just to throw my hat into the ring......my Austin connection in the University of Texas Athletics department has heard jack about anyone leaving the ACC but, since Texas was blindsided by the ND move, this really means nothing.

I am getting all kinds of people emailing me Maryland to the ACC rumors, and the scenarios which develop because of this move. Hell, Scott Van Pelt from ESPN (Maryland alum), even jumped in the middle of a twitter conversation I was having with some other folks to give his perspective on what Maryland brings to the Big 10. LOTS of buzz around this.....

I communicate with a lot of connected alums across the country, guys who run prominent message boards and other people with insider connections like the one I have in Austin. People still fell that, ultimately, the big 4 conferences will go to 16 teams.

The most likely additions seem to be:
Big 10 - Maryland, UVA, Rutgers, UConn
SEC - North Carolina (I'm told the SEC has been working behind the scenes for year on UNC) and VaTech
Big 12 - FSU, Miami, NC State, Ga Tech, some combo of Louisville/Pitt/Syracuse/BC for the final 2
Pac 12 - BYU (yes, concessions are made), Boise State and who knows......

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Yes, we have the market share

If we had the market share we would be in a conference. UCONN is in/near big markets but doesn't pull much of a share at all.

Reaction Score
MD would need a partner to give them an even # of teams. rutty? I read today taht the breakdown of the playoff $$ includes a clause that the more teams you have in conference, the greater % of the $$ you get. If true, does it make sense to expand? split the conference TV money but get a bigger piece of the national TV pool.

Not if PSU gets tossed ;)

Or voluntarily moves to ACC?? Craziness abounds:

A move to the ACC could bring all Penn Staters together

http://blog.pennlive.com/pennstatef...ng.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Reaction Score
If we had the market share we would be in a conference. UCONN is in/near big markets but doesn't pull much of a share at all.
that's what i meant to say, we're in/near big markets but in football don't command them at all.

pj

Reaction Score
that's what i meant to say, we're in/near big markets but in football don't command them at all.

We have a share of these markets but more important we'll grow the markets for other B1G teams.With Michigan / Ohio State / Penn State etc visiting CT / NY / NJ / MD, their northeast fan bases will grow, and the B1G network will get a lot more cable networks to pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom