HOT off the Presses KLS Ready to Score | The Boneyard

HOT off the Presses KLS Ready to Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I think we are all counting on Lou to have a break-out season. Yes we will need her offense but she is going to have to do a lot more. Rebounding like Stewie would be nice. Can't wait for the season to start so I can drive every one in my house crazy on game day.

Reaction Score
Great article and great vote of confidence from Geno!

I like this: "I had quite a roller coaster freshman year and a slower start than I wanted to"
That could just be the sign over the women's locker room at Werth along with: "Abandon all hope, all ye freshmen who enter here."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think we are all counting on Lou to have a break-out season. Yes we will need her offense but she is going to have to do a lot more. Rebounding like Stewie would be nice. Can't wait for the season to start so I can drive every one in my house crazy on game day.

This baller has grit to spare. You play 14 minutes on a broken foot and do what she did. She'll impress the Hades out of you this year.

Reaction Score
They'll need more then 60 points per game from from Lou, Kia Gabby and Napheesa to be a competitive offensive team this year.................can they do that yes...................will they do that..................we shall see

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Last year, three players stood out, and basically carried/led the team all year, from the first tip to the final buzzer. Carnac says.......three players will do the same again THIS year. The $64,000 question is who will be the three? Which 3 players will lead the team in scoring? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They'll need more then 60 points per game from from Lou, Kia Gabby and Napheesa to be a competitive offensive team this year.......can they do that yes....will they do that...we shall see

Very unlikely. Last year the big 3 + KLS only combined for 56.7 pts per game.

Reaction Score
Very unlikely. Last year the big 3 + KLS only combined for 56.7 pts per game.

It may be unlikely but it will probably be necessary as I would think they will give up 8-10 more points per game then in the past few years because of the loss of MJ and BS's unique defensive abilities.....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It may be unlikely but it will probably be necessary as I would think they will give up 8-10 more points per game then in the past few years because of the loss of MJ and BS's unique defensive abilities.....

I don't think anyone every called her BS 'til just now Charlie! :p

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This season there are alot of question marks for UConn.....and every other team. IMO Butler down low and Lou up front and teams will have problems scoring. Lou will have to move around on defense and challenge opponents scorers while our other 3 players rake havoc on defense. We have speed and athleticism and Nurse Gabby Crystal Collier and Chong will have to pressure opponents offenders. Butler down low and KLS out front much like Tuck and Stewie.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Lou will be the best "team" player she can be. She didnt come to UConn to be the highest scorer, although she might wind up that. She came to UConn for the way UConn has, and will always play basketball. Lou knows the name on the front of the jersey means everything, as it did when she was on Team USA or Mater Dei HS or Cal Swish.

Reaction Score
This season there are alot of question marks for UConn.....and every other team. IMO Butler down low and Lou up front and teams will have problems scoring. Lou will have to move around on defense and challenge opponents scorers while our other 3 players rake havoc on defense. We have speed and athleticism and Nurse Gabby Crystal Collier and Chong will have to pressure opponents offenders. Butler down low and KLS out front much like Tuck and Stewie.

I appreciate your wishful thinking but don'see KLS and Butler having the same defensive presence as BS and Tuck...............I'd settle for 50% as good............

Reaction Score
Lou will be the best "team" player she can be. She didnt come to UConn to be the highest scorer, although she might wind up that. She came to UConn for the way UConn has, and will always play basketball. Lou knows the name on the front of the jersey means everything, as it did when she was on Team USA or Mater Dei HS or Cal Swish.

She better be the team's high scorer.................if not her who???

Reaction Score
There were more than a few times last season when Lou and Napheesa (partners in crime) had a really good two-man game going: pick and rolls, high-low, etc. Even though they weren't in the game that often together, it happened enough to make me think this is going to be a large part of the offense this year.

There's going to have to be a lot of movement without the ball this year (there always is, of course, but maybe even more so this year without as many veteran shot makers). So, we'll see a lot of two-man sets, I think.

Reaction Score
I appreciate your wishful thinking but don'see KLS and Butler having the same defensive presence as BS and Tuck.....I'd settle for 50% as good..
I agree here Charlie. 50% would be great. If the pace of the games are fast they'll be fortunate to get a good 20 minutes per game out of Butler. I expect regular foul trouble and fatigue issues. Without a goalie like Stewart they're going to be vulnerable inside. Being in position and keeping their hands up isn't going to cut it. They need at least that one shot blocking presence like Stewart and Stokes without fouling or the big clubs are going to be a problem.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I appreciate your wishful thinking but don'see KLS and Butler having the same defensive presence as BS and Tuck.....I'd settle for 50% as good..
Charlie nobody is going to replace Stewie and Mojeff but KLS and Butler will serve as respectable replacements. I will continue to say no body compare this years team to last years record breaking 4 NCs in a row team.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Last year, three players stood out, and basically carried/led the team all year, from the first tip to the final buzzer. Carnac says..three players will do the same again THIS year. The $64,000 question is who will be the three? Which 3 players will lead the team in scoring? :rolleyes:
Those three were seniors. As sophomore's and juniors they did not lead the team all season. The players this season are sophomores and juniors except for Chong. Uconn will need four or five players to carry the team, imo.

Reaction Score
Charlie nobody is going to replace Stewie and Mojeff but KLS and Butler will serve as respectable replacements. I will continue to say no body compare this years team to last years record breaking 4 NCs in a row team.

Only natural to compare the teams but there is no comparison.......I look forward to seeing what kind of identity this group forges................I think Collier will be the main shot blocker on this year's team..........her timing is excellent and she tends to not fall for ball fakes like Butler does

Reaction Score
They'll need more then 60 points per game from from Lou, Kia Gabby and Napheesa to be a competitive offensive team this year.......can they do that yes....will they do that...we shall see

No one had to tell us Katie LOU will be a scoring/rebounding influence this year--Geno was beating on her to do that last year. But this year will be more--Katie Lou is great-she is wonderful--the carrot after the Stick.
Can they score and be competitive??? Katie Lou and Kia have shown in big games (KIA in Olympics/Pan Am), as a frosh at years end Katie Lou was averaging 20 per.
Question is can Gabby or Collier score---the answer is yes--But you say--they didn't do much last year--Golden 3 says it all-
Collier in HS and USA BB scored well--Gabby showed hints of her scoring last year-
Then we are leaving out Butler --she has a great touch and a great eye. Add to this the 3 shooting of Crystal and Molly(I hope)--As I've posted in other threads--YOU"LL be surprised!!

Reaction Score
Last year, three players stood out, and basically carried/led the team all year, from the first tip to the final buzzer. Carnac says..three players will do the same again THIS year. The $64,000 question is who will be the three? Which 3 players will lead the team in scoring? :rolleyes:

I would assume that the big four KLS, Kia, Gabby and Napheesa will carry the scoring load.........for me the wild cards are Saniya and Crystal.............if they can add some production, especially from 3 pt land that will open things up for everybody else.......................

Reaction Score
I agree here Charlie. 50% would be great. If the pace of the games are fast they'll be fortunate to get a good 20 minutes per game out of Butler. I expect regular foul trouble and fatigue issues. Without a goalie like Stewart they're going to be vulnerable inside. Being in position and keeping their hands up isn't going to cut it. They need at least that one shot blocking presence like Stewart and Stokes without fouling or the big clubs are going to be a problem.

Geno---jumped on Steff to slim down and move better--she did. Do you think he will do less to Butler?? Yet your point is valid--Butler won't play 30 minutes in any game--selective subbing is something Geno used before--and it works. All of this is predicated on Butler actually playing big number--10 or more. If she does not play long minutes or play hard---it's going to be a long year.. Unless Kyla is ready to go. (I doubt that)

Carnac

Reaction Score
She better be the team's high scorer.......if not her who???

She'll get lots of opportunities to do so, A lot like KML did. Open set shots from the perimeter. They'll run the plays now for Lou that they ran for KML & Stewie. Lots of teams still play a zone defense, which is a spot up shooter's best friend.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Those three were seniors. As sophomore's and juniors they did not lead the team all season. The players this season are sophomores and juniors except for Chong. Uconn will need four or five players to carry the team, imo.

OK, I understand your point. Geno does not have 3 seniors this season, so he's going to have to play the hand he is dealt. Last year, all 5 starters could shoot, however most of the plays called for Stewie, Morgan & Lou.
Mo and Kia were not the primary shooters in his offense. Sure, they took shots throughout the game, but plays were not run for them exclusively. If the ball was in their hands as the clock was running down, or the play broke down, they would take the shot, or drive it to the basket, if the defense broke down, and/or they were wide open. Geno want to take the best shot available each time down the court. If Mo or Kia had the best shot on any particular trip down, they had the green light to take it.

I'm saying the same thing will no doubt happen THIS year. Of course Geno is going to need contributions from everyone he puts on the floor. Right now, we don't know who's going to do what. We can guess, imagine and assume, but we don't know for sure yet. I completely agree with you that no 3 players on this year's team can carry the entire team. Who knows, Maybe Saniya Chong will emerge as one of the top scorers before season's end.

Remember, there are no returning All Americans on this team. Donalddoowop, I'm not trying to cross you up. My question was and remains, who in your humble opinion will be the three leading scorers this year for the Huskies? At the end of the year, all of the players will be ranked top to bottom in order from first to last in scoring. I'm simply asking who will be the top 3?

I'll give you a clue. You can start with the four players Geno has targeted as expected to fill significant rolls. Who are the leaders? Kia Nurse, Katie Lou Samuelson, Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA