Hospital Tower Ushers In New Era At UConn Health | The Boneyard

Hospital Tower Ushers In New Era At UConn Health

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Malloy said it was exceeding targets set for 2030. It had $4m in revenues and is running a $25m operating loss not to mention the unfunded pension and healthcare obligations for more unecessarry Union jobs.

Good thing it was 220 and republican approved.

Reaction Score
Malloy said it was exceeding targets set for 2030. It had $4m in revenues and is running a $25m operating loss not to mention the unfunded pension and healthcare obligations for more unecessarry Union jobs.

The real problem is paying pensions to doctors and professors who make way over $100,000.00. These people make more than enough to save for their own retirement. When you bring in all the Bureau Chiefs, Directors, Deputy Commissioners and Spokesman there is a reason the State is bankrupt. When you add overtime to pensions of everyone else the jig is up. Malloy, Osten, Walker, Bye, Merrill, Sullivan, Sharkey, and Looney, good God we are screwed! I sure hope they preserve Okajians retirement.

Reaction Score
Or maybe they should be capped for everyone regardless of salary, that would eliminate that whole highest 3 year gimmick. Work more like SS where the taxes are capped and so are the benefits.

The real problem is paying pensions to doctors and professors who make way over $100,000.00. These people make more than enough to save for their own retirement. When you bring in all the Bureau Chiefs, Directors, Deputy Commissioners and Spokesman there is a reason the State is bankrupt. When you add overtime to pensions of everyone else the jig is up. Malloy, Osten, Walker, Bye, Merrill, Sullivan, Sharkey, and Looney, good God we are screwed! I sure hope they preserve Okajians retirement.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Not sure how Connecticut works, but in Massachusetts the public employee pensions are self funded. At least for teachers anyway. I paid 11% of my gross pay into the MTRS.

I'm sure the taxpayers may kick in something for some divisions, but it isn't much, if anything.

Reaction Score
Not in CT. Minimal employee funding and state and local taxpayers fund majority and well as free healthcare for life. Nice gig.

Not sure how Connecticut works, but in Massachusetts the public employee pensions are self funded. At least for teachers anyway. I paid 11% of my gross pay into the MTRS.

I'm sure the taxpayers may kick in something for some divisions, but it isn't much, if anything.

Reaction Score
Burned who? Republicans have a small minority, they can't do anything. Fastrak is a joke, it was another fabricated thing like the report about the convention center. That was a huge waste of $400m.

Burned him Scott, man!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Burned who? Republicans have a small minority, they can't do anything. Fastrak is a joke, it was another fabricated thing like the report about the convention center. That was a huge waste of $400m.

Pollute one thread at a time with this garbage.

Reaction Score
Burned him Scott, man!

I'm not pro or con either way. There is a ton of disinformation about the busway though that I wish the administration cared to clarify. Like these idiots protesting at the state house saying that we could've closed the budget gap by eliminating the busway. Thats just a dumb remark, as dumb as them putting their heads in the sand on these budget issues.

Also, please show me a public transportation initiative that has a positive revenue. 21 million a year loss...yeah thats brutal but I need to see it in context of traffic reduction, HRQOL, food deserts, etc. To Malloy's fault, they need to start putting that information out in the next few years.

Reaction Score
Also JSM, I don't know if you are pro or con the Uconn Health Tower.

However, JDH is one of the biggest welfare babies out there. They consistently operate at a loss even without having to pay any taxes to the state. However, overall, it can be argued that the hospital operating at a loss is still a net positive for the state. I'm young but still think one of the biggest mistakes the state ever made was building it in Farmington in the first place. The state and Hartford probably could have been better served putting the MedSchool in Hartford and sharing the residents between HH and St. Fran.

That's neither here nor there. However, we spent 350 million on a tower for a hospital that always operates a loss. $220 million for a busway that operates at a loss as well. The benefits overall to the state need to be measure by more than just net loss for operating revenue. Done with opinion on this. A little bias as I work for a competing health system.

Reaction Score
Mass transit like MetroNorth makes sense. The busway is stupid, who uses it exactly?

Also JSM, I don't know if you are pro or con the Uconn Health Tower.

However, JDH is one of the biggest welfare babies out there. They consistently operate at a loss even without having to pay any taxes to the state. However, overall, it can be argued that the hospital operating at a loss is still a net positive for the state. I'm young but still think one of the biggest mistakes the state ever made was building it in Farmington in the first place. The state and Hartford probably could have been better served putting the MedSchool in Hartford and sharing the residents between HH and St. Fran.

That's neither here nor there. However, we spent 350 million on a tower for a hospital that always operates a loss. $220 million for a busway that operates at a loss as well. The benefits overall to the state need to be measure by more than just net loss for operating revenue. Done with opinion on this. A little bias as I work for a competing health system.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Not in CT. Minimal employee funding and state and local taxpayers fund majority and well as free healthcare for life. Nice gig.

It all averages out in the end. Most of the teachers I know paid into SS, but won't be eligible for full benefits because of the double dipping law (or the windfall thing).

Some, myself included, will not be eligible for any SS benifits because they went into teaching as a second career, and didn't earn the quarters. They won't get that money back, nor will their former employers who matched the contributions. That's free money into the SS system that benefits everyone but the teachers.

In Massachusetts, and other states with pension programs, municipalities don't have to pay the matching ~ 7%, saving the taxpayers a great deal.

As for insurance ... I retired in January, and will pay $130/month until Medicare kicks in, for an individual BCBS plan with moderately high deductibles.

Personally, I would have preferred to opt out of SS and the state pension plan. I would have been much better off.

My biggest pet peeve with the Mass system is the spousal benefit. Basically, the benifits last until the surviving spouse dies.

Reaction Score
#2.jpg

Reaction Score

This isn't totally correct. Although earlier retirees did get free healthcare, there are now many variations, depending on date of hire. Most are paying into their pensions, and healthcare is not free for life.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

This is factually incorrect currently. Pensions were that way prior but things have change due to current budget climate, free healthcare for life isn't true either. You love spewing this hate for state employees, you must have tried to be one and failed.

Reaction Score
Tried and failed? Honestly, that would be so easy. I wish I had thought of that. But at the time never planned or wanted to stay in CT. In hindsight a nice fat pensions, 35 hour work week with 3 hour liquid lunches and free healthcare sounds pretty good. Retire and spend my CT pension dollars in FL or South Carolina. Nice!

This is factually incorrect currently. Pensions were that way prior but things have change due to current budget climate, free healthcare for life isn't true either. You love spewing this hate for state employees, you must have tried to be one and failed.

Reaction Score
Tried and failed? Honestly, that would be so easy. I wish I had thought of that. But at the time never planned or wanted to stay in CT. In hindsight a nice fat pensions, 35 hour work week with 3 hour liquid lunches and free healthcare sounds pretty good. Retire and spend my CT pension dollars in FL or South Carolina. Nice!

Yeah tell me about it. Those lazy state troopers, firefighters and first responders going out for liquid lunches and living in their mansions.

Man, if I have to watch one more public school teacher drive around in a Mazerrati, I'm going to lose it.

Listen up, Hannity, this hatred that you are spewing towards the men and women who work for our state is misguided and offensive. These are public servants who, for whatever their motivation, have spent their life serving the public good whether you value what they do for a living or not.

These are people who are make a fraction of what their private sector neighbors make and in many cases haven't gotten a raise or COLA adjustment in years.

Connecticut's problems aren't solely due to state worker pensions and healthcare plans and it's completely disingenuous to throw it all at their feet.

Why don't you go take this BS to a Trump rally and just be happy that our state university is seeing the value in investing in hospitals and healthcare delivery?

Oh, probably because you think the doctors and nurses who kill themselves every day saving lives are a bunch of slackers because they happened to be state employees at the UConn Health Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom