Hoping Tennessee Wins | The Boneyard

Hoping Tennessee Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It would be great to play them again. It's been a long time. But, the rivalry is still alive. They have a huge fan base which will be in Tampa if they win tonight.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Forgetting past rivalries, the question ends up being would UConn be better off facing a good offensive team or good defensive one. Normally, I side with playing offensive teams but Maryland isn't bad defensively.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO its not good for WBB if there's a Lady Vol vs UConn semi-final match up. All Attention will be on that game and both South Carolina and Notre Dame will not receive any National Media Attention, especially by ESPN.

There should be a UConn vs Lady Vol match up in the near future, but let it be in the Regular Season or during a regional.

Would love to see a Thanksgiving or Christmas Day Game scheduled @ MSG or similar venue with proceeds going to Kay Yow Foundation for the first renewal game. Heck wouldn't mind it being held at TBA where there would be 26K people in attendance as long as proceeds went to charity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How can you not relish the thought of playing Tennessee? Rooting for the Lady Vols to make the Final 4 :) :)

Reaction Score
Will create much more hoopla. Far more exciting to beat them.
I am a careful what you wish for kind of guy... Having said that I stated in a earlier post I would hope Tenn does not get the displeasure of playing us until they extend the olive branch and ask for it.
I will be surprised if they get by The Turtles...

Reaction Score
This is my first post. I was a 40 year resident of Connecticut and my wife got her Grad degree from UConn, so I have been a fan for a long, long time. I moved to Tennessee 2.5 years ago and have gone to several UTenn games during that time. I know I am "supposed" to cheer for my local team but damn I can not support the Rocky Toppers. It may be that I have been brainwashed over the years into disliking and fearing The Lady Tenners, but I do not believe that Tennesee is good enough this year to be a final four team, never mind able to challenge UConn in any way. That said, I certainly hope they win tonight so I can watch them against UConn in the Final 4.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
IMHO its not good for WBB if there's a Lady Vol vs UConn semi-final match up. All Attention will be on that game and both South Carolina and Notre Dame will not receive any National Media Attention, especially by ESPN.

There should be a UConn vs Lady Vol match up in the near future, but let it be in the Regular Season or during a regional.

Would love to see a Thanksgiving or Christmas Day Game scheduled @ MSG or similar venue with proceeds going to Kay Yow Foundation for the first renewal game. Heck wouldn't mind it being held at TBA where there would be 26K people in attendance as long as proceeds went to charity.

I'd enjoy either matchup. If it's Maryland, though, there would be more tickets available for USC fans to gobble up, and I know a lot of people who have already found tickets.

Since USC and ND both have large fan bases I doubt they will forget about our game. If the attention was a little less then I am ok with less pressure on our team in their first (NCAA) Final Four. Everyone has forgotten we were in an AIAW Final Four.

TBA shrank their capacity when they converted part of their upper deck into boxes. I think their capacity is ~21,000 now.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I'm all in for Maryland in this one. But not Maryland's next one.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Wow...I'm shocked at so many of you actually pulling for us. I'll take it. We need all the help we can get. And if we get passed MD tonight, I'll gladly take our beating from you guys in the FF! :) It's an important step for us, IMO.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
You're hoping for it.... ESPN is PRAYING for it! The ratings for a UConn/Tenn match-up would be huge. They are already happy figuring that the Final matchup will be UConn vs SC or ND... either way a game that will be easy to hype even though UConn beat both teams by double digits already this year.

If Tenn plays like they played the last 11 minutes of their last game, they'll win. But that's a big if. And I wouldn't expect Maryland to fold like Gonzaga did.

But UConn needs to take care of business tonight.... the rest is out of their hands.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think Maryland wins tonight.. and I hope they do.

I live in NC..... and if UCONN were to beat Tenn in the final 4..... especially by a significant margin... the cries... screams... and wails coming outta TN and down the Smokey Mountains into my state will definitely be heard 200 miles away here in the Triad. It would startle us residents... and distress the dogs.... and my neighbor's dogs make enough noise as it is.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMHO both South Carolina and Notre Dame will not receive any National Media Attention, especially by ESPN.
I disagree ESPN will promote both games equally. I mean I am not in advertising but I could write this ad: Sign Morgan Freeman for the voice over: On one side of the bracket you have two teams that have no recent bad history, but clashing for a chance to avenge 1 of only two losses this past year. On the Other side expectantly and old rival emerges with bad intentions of crashing the re-Coronation of the reigning queens of the court. Assuming UCONN prevails you will either have a rematch of last years' Final or a rematch of the most anticipated game this past year. There will be plenty to hype with this.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm not sure who to pul for between Tennessee and Maryland. UT is an SEC team so what's good for the SEC is good for USC, but my brother, sister-in-law and one nephew graduated from Maryland, so I have family ties there. I honestly don't have a great feel for how good Maryland is because the Big Ten doesn't seem particularly strong this season.

Reaction Score
You know, I keep reading how HUGE the ratings will be for UConn Tenn if that matchup comes about I really wonder.... the nostalgia folks, of which I am one, will certainly watch, but wasn't Tenn UC so long ago, and wasn't the allure primarily Geno vs Pat? If it happens it will be interesting how many folks watch. You know ESPN will hype it incredibly, but how many viewers will that filter down into?

Reaction Score
The Final Four is a big deal. I'll be rooting hard for UT to fail until they apologize to Geno and UConn.
You hit it right on the head!
And Muffet to retract what she said about WCB without Pat without class!

Reaction Score
God no. Maryland all the way. Tennessee is going to be really good next year.... Wait till then to have them in a final four. Besides beating Brenda would be so awesome

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
This is my first post. I was a 40 year resident of Connecticut and my wife got her Grad degree from UConn, so I have been a fan for a long, long time. I moved to Tennessee 2.5 years ago and have gone to several UTenn games during that time. I know I am "supposed" to cheer for my local team but damn I can not support the Rocky Toppers. It may be that I have been brainwashed over the years into disliking and fearing The Lady Tenners, but I do not believe that Tennesee is good enough this year to be a final four team, never mind able to challenge UConn in any way. That said, I certainly hope they win tonight so I can watch them against UConn in the Final 4.
I have been hoping for the opportunity to punish TN for a very, very long time and will therefore be pulling for them tonight. They will therefore choke (perhaps unconsciously, or perhaps intentionally), lose and avoid their appointed date with destiny!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Yeah maybe we can beat TENN by 40 so they can blame it on the refs.

Reaction Score
TENN is horrible. They have started out well against Maryland and is just begging Maryland to catch them and blow by them. At first I wanted TENN so we could play them but they would not be as to hang with us at all.....so I think I will take more pleasure blowing out Brenda Frese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom