(Hopefully) OT: KC Keeler as broadcaster | The Boneyard

(Hopefully) OT: KC Keeler as broadcaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it just me or did KC Keeler consistently talk about UConn as if he were the coach. Lot's of 'we are looking for' and the like?

Sorry if this was brought up already. Just was a little weird. Though I shouldn't be surprised because he did the Towson game as if it were a Towson broadcast.

Reaction Score
I definitely noticed that too. He kept saying "we", and sounded genuinely deflated when the pick 6 happened.

He did that against towson too.

Reaction Score
He seemed more familiar with the UCONN program, but probably only because he did the previous game. He seems like a solid TV analyst to me.

We'll never know what he would have done here if he got the job but it probably would have been better than P. He would have given us a more modern offense that is for sure. No GDL would have been a big plus.

Reaction Score
He seemed more familiar with the UCONN program, but probably only because he did the previous game. He seems like a solid TV analyst to me.

We'll never know what he would have done here if he got the job but it probably would have been better than P. He would have given us a more modern offense that is for sure.

...but is there a reason he is in the broadcast booth and not coaching somewhere?

Reaction Score
...but is there a reason he is in the broadcast booth and not coaching somewhere?

He got fired by an AD who just got hired last year. I just did a search and couldn't find anything scandalous.

Reaction Score
He got fired by an AD who just got hired last year. I just did a search and couldn't find anything scandalous.

I guess I was thinking, if he was any good, he wouldn't be in the booth. Not that he's so bad...but no one snagged him up for at least a coordinator's position?

Maybe UConn is his dream job and he's holding out.....:cool:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
he seemed like he cared more than pp that night

Comments like this make me with there was an "agree" button instead of a "like" button. Because I definitely agree with what you wrote more than I like it.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately for him Warde can't hire a guy who just got fired by Delaware. Warde would look like a fool if it didn't work out. I wouldn't rule him out, but he is far down the list at this point and I wanted Keeler 3 years ago.

The two guys who had the most support in the Boneyard were Keeler and McGee. Neither has distinguished himself since then.

Reaction Score
I guess I was thinking, if he was any good, he wouldn't be in the booth. Not that he's so bad...but no one snagged him up for at least a coordinator's position?

John Madden worked in the booth. It was his choice. Could be the same for Keeler.

Reaction Score

first of all I think he was fired late in the year, if I recall correctly. Secondly I think he had a deal somewhat like Hathaway's where he gets paid this year unless he coaches. And I don't think he has much desire to be a d-backs coach at Rowan or something. so he took some tv gigs, i think he;s doing some work for the NFL Scouting bureau or whatever its called, and he'll be on the market for the 2014 season. I always thought he would be a solid hire as a head coach. I think if a change were to be made mid-season, seeing him come aboard as "interim" Offensive Coordinator isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
From his wikipedia page, here's his record:

Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens (Atlantic 10 Conference) (2002–2006)
2002Delaware 6–6 4–5 T–6th
2003 Delaware 15–1 8–1 T–1st W NCAA Division I-AA Championship
1​
2004 Delaware 9–4 7–1 T–1st (South) L NCAA Division I-AA Quarterfinal
7​
2005Delaware 6–5 3–5 3rd (South)
2006Delaware 5–6 4–5 T–4th (South)
Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens (Colonial Athletic Association) (2007–2012)
2007 Delaware 11–4 5–3 T–3rd (South) L NCAA Division I Championship
2​
2008 Delaware4–8 2–6 5th (South)
2009 Delaware6–5 4–4 T–4th (South)
2010 Delaware 12–3 6–2 T–1st L NCAA Division I Championship
2​
2011 Delaware7–4 5–3 T–5th
17​
2012 Delaware5–6 2–6 8th
Delaware: 86–52 49–41
Total:
174–73–1
National championship Conference title Conference division title

To me he's a bit up-and-down. Didn't show he could maintain success for 3, 4 years in a row. Maybe that's harder at that level due to fewer schollies, but we also want someone who can recruit and win consistently against the likes of Rutgers, Cuse, BC while we're in the AAC. Keep in mind the I-AA overall record will include playoff wins, so the conference record (in red) is maybe a better measure.

Reaction Score
Keeler joining the interim staff next week is not a bad idea. He actually did seem like he was rooting for UCONN last week. There was that audible groan on Maryland's long TD run. Maybe the high school coaches have already talked to him.

Reaction Score
I do think that some things in 1AA do make consistency year to year a bit difficult. Scholarships is one factor. Another is the transfer rule. A team can essentially load up on 1A transfers and quickly improve its status year to year. It also means you never know year to year who is available. it is a real balancing act. I'm not pushing Keeler, though I liked him last time around, he became a bit of a celebrity at UD during his time there, which I think we need to regenerate some excitement, but I think the fact that he was able to win a championship and get to the finals 2 other times indicates that he can continually rebuild. He never really had a long losing streak either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom