Hope it's not true | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hope it's not true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How many players has Brenda developed for the WNBA? How many have starred? Why do you suppose that is?

That's IS one reason to select Uconn. WAS a reason to select TN. I believe both schools currently have 11 alums in the WNBA.

That's like comparing apples with oranges. How many top recruits do UConn and Tenn get compared to MD or any other schools. Are you insinuating that if someone like Maya or Candice went to another school other than UConn or Tenn she would not have stared in the WNBA? MD currently has 4 in the WNBA and Langhorne is starring, they all got drafted very high.

Reaction Score
How many players has Brenda developed for the WNBA? How many have starred? Why do you suppose that is?

That's like comparing apples with oranges. How many top recruits do UConn and Tenn get compared to MD or any other schools. Are you insinuating that if someone like Maya or Candice went to another school other than UConn or Tenn she would not have stared in the WNBA? MD currently has 4 in the WNBA and Langhorne is starring, they all got drafted very high.

Both Maya and Candace do well in the WNBA regardless of coach. But coaches the caliber of Auriemma and Summit help mold greatness and allow it to reach it's full potential (yes, even Pat does this despite the showing of the current senior class). I doubt either one of them enters the WNBA as great as they were if they attend Maryland

Reaction Score

Points well taken, but there is an edge in going with the perceived elite programs in the same way the Harvard grad has an advantage over the community college grad when searching for a job. Will not Tiffany Hayes be in a politically better position regarding the WNBA since her former teammates could put in a word? Despite her excellence, there are those who doubt EDD's talent merely because she went to Del. Winning an NC also helps get that WNBA job and the chance is better with an elite program. It's all a matter of degree.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How many Ketia Swaniers are there in WNBA that have come out of MD. The quality of the coaching is less revealed in the Mayas and Candice Parkers than in the players like Ketia, Ashley Battle, Kalana Greene, and Jessica Moore who were not dominant college players. Would they have made the WNBA playing for MD and under Frese's tutelage? I think not.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
How long has Frese been at MD? Ten years? She was 2002 coach of the year and she won a NC in 2006. As she lands more top players she will look better. When was the last time that UCONN or Tennessee won a championship without a super star? You look like a much better coach when you have a super star helping bring home a title.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Having players named Holdsclaw, Taurasi, Parker, Catchings, Charles and Moore make you look like a great coach.

In no way will I EVER diminish Geno's results. He is a great coach, but he has had the luxury of GREAT players with each championship that he has won. Part of being a great college coach is recruiting. You typically are not going to win a championship without a great player or two.

If Mulkey wins one this year she will have had the luxury of having Sophia Young and Brittney Griner in her title runs.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How long has Frese been at MD? Ten years? She was 2002 coach of the year and she won a NC in 2006. As she lands more top players she will look better. When was the last time that UCONN or Tennessee won a championship without a super star? You look like a much better coach when you have a super star helping bring home a title.

She has been at Maryland for 10 years and a head coach for 13. Gets more top players? She has had some of the best players for a decade. Several being players that UConn pursued. Any shortfall is not the talent she is getting.

How long has the WNBA existed? Since 1997 or 14 years. That means that Frese has been a head coach for all but one of those years and 10 of the 14 at MD. UConn did not win its first NCAA until 1995 and didn't win its second until into the WNBA era. During the era of the WNBA UConn has won 6 championships and MD 1. UConn has put 24 players in the WNBA during the history of the league.

Reaction Score
Having players named Holdsclaw, Taurasi, Parker, Catchings, Charles and Moore make you look like a great coach.

In no way will I EVER diminish Geno's results. He is a great coach, but he has had the luxury of GREAT players with each championship that he has won. Part of being a great college coach is recruiting. You typically are not going to win a championship without a great player or two.

If Mulkey wins one this year she will have had the luxury of having Sophia Young and Brittney Griner in her title runs.
Here's the way I think it goes. A young coach with drive, perseverence, smarts and people skills starts off making peanuts at one of the less renowned schools. Through sheer will and hard work, they make some good recruiting choices and turn a program around. They get a reputation and eventually land a job at a school with money that is willing and interested in developing their program. The coach then continues to improve the team until one day the great player is landed. From that time forth, it becomes easier to recruit because everyone wants to play for coach x.

There are young coaches out there who may be just as good or better than the current legends, but they haven't finished paying their dues. Brenda Frese is showing signs of being one of these people and Maryland may become the next Uconn or Tennessee because of her.

There is no doubt that it gets more difficult to rise to the top than ever before. Pat was lucky to be in the game before it became popular enough to attract talented people. It's no longer necessary for the head coach to wash the teams uniforms and today, coaches can make enough money to live on.

Reaction Score
How many Ketia Swaniers are there in WNBA that have come out of MD. The quality of the coaching is less revealed in the Mayas and Candice Parkers than in the players like Ketia, Ashley Battle, Kalana Greene, and Jessica Moore who were not dominant college players. Would they have made the WNBA playing for MD and under Frese's tutelage? I think not.

I thought we were talking about DD here who is far from a nondominant player. I guess your point is that MD doesn't develop players. Have you every heard of Tianna Hawkins? She was ranked 117 her senior year in high school. Last I saw, she had the best scooting percentage (.667) in the country ahead of Grinner. She has a 12.7 ppg average, one of the top rebounders with 9.5 has 31 blocks. Maybe Walz had something to do with this. Whether she gets drafted I don't know, but she has a shot.

Reaction Score
Here's the way I think it goes. A young coach with drive, perseverence, smarts and people skills starts off making peanuts at one of the less renowned schools. Through sheer will and hard work, they make some good recruiting choices and turn a program around. They get a reputation and eventually land a job at a school with money that is willing and interested in developing their program. The coach then continues to improve the team until one day the great player is landed. From that time forth, it becomes easier to recruit because everyone wants to play for coach x.

There are young coaches out there who may be just as good or better than the current legends, but they haven't finished paying their dues. Brenda Frese is showing signs of being one of these people and Maryland may become the next Uconn or Tennessee because of her.

There is no doubt that it gets more difficult to rise to the top than ever before. Pat was lucky to be in the game before it became popular enough to attract talented people. It's no longer necessary for the head coach to wash the teams uniforms and today, coaches can make enough money to live on.

+1

Reaction Score

+1

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought we were talking about DD here who is far from a nondominant player. I don't I guess your point is that MD doesn't develop players. Have you every heard of Tianna Hawkins? She was ranked 117 her senior year in high school. Last I saw, she had the best scooting percentage (.667) in the country ahead of Grinner. She has a 12.7 ppg average, one of the top rebounders with 9.5 has 31 blocks. Maybe Walz had something to do with this. Whether she gets drafted I don't know, but she has a shot.

No we are talking player development. Maya and Tina still greatly improved during their careers at UConn. The ability to develop players, however, is more easily seen in the other players on the list. Tina would not likely be the World Class player she is today if she had not played for Geno. Geno and staff used every skill they had to make sure that Tina did not just settle for being great. Diana and Maya would say the same. Geno takes players who are #1 in the high school class and makes them best in the world, he takes great athletes and makes them world class athletes, and takes good athletes and makes them great.

Reaction Score
She has been at Maryland for 10 years and a head coach for 13. Gets more top players? She has had some of the best players for a decade. Several being players that UConn pursued. Any shortfall is not the talent she is getting.

It's hard to keep up with all of you. One says MD does not get very good recruits and definitely not as good as UConn and this one says they have had some of the best players for the decade.

Here's the skinny. Since their 2006 NC, which had 4 very good players on that team, they have had only 2 players that were ranked in the top 10. Is this some of the best players for the decade? I don't think so. In comparison, how many top 10 players have UConn and Tenn had during that same period?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I read that post but I cannot concieve of anyone saying that MD does not get good recruits.

From her own MD bio, "Nine of Frese's recruiting classes have been ranked in the top-15, including eight rated in the top-10 and five in the top five. The landmark signings of Crystal Langhorne, Laura Harper, Jade Perry and Ashleigh Newman were rated No. 2 in the country, while the class of Marissa Coleman and Kristi Toliver was ranked No. 4 - the core of the Terps' national championship team. Her 2010 batch of Terrapins included four high school All-Americans and a No. 2 national ranking."

Five have been in the Top 5.

Reaction Score
No we are talking player development. Maya and Tina still greatly improved during their careers at UConn. The ability to develop players, however, is more easily seen in the other players on the list. Tina would not likely be the World Class player she is today if she had not played for Geno. Geno and staff used every skill they had to make sure that Tina did not just settle for being great. Diana and Maya would say the same. Geno takes players who are #1 in the high school class and makes them best in the world, he takes great athletes and makes them world class athletes, and takes good athletes and makes them great.

I hate to keep bringing this up, but Alyssa Thomas was not even in a top 5 recruit coming out of high school nor was she picked for the McDonald's all star team. She is now considered the best player from that class. This situation is taking a player not considered #1 coming out of high school and developing her into the #1 player from that group in retrospect. In all fairness I have to admit that Frese has said that she would like to take credit for it, but Alyssa really developed her skills before she came to college. But the point is, she was not hinder at MD.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I hate to keep bringing this up, but Alyssa Thomas was not even in a top 5 recruit coming out of high school nor was she picked for the McDonald's all star team. She is now considered the best player from that class. This situation is taking a player not considered #1 coming out of high school and developing her into the #1 player from that group in retrospect. In all fairness I have to admit that Frese has said that she would like to take credit for it, but Alyssa really developed her skills before she came to college. But the point is, she was not hinder at MD.
Feel free to base your whole argument on a single player in contrast to the broad numbers I gave you.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I read that post but I cannot concieve of anyone saying that MD does not get good recruits.

From her own MD bio, "Nine of Frese's recruiting classes have been ranked in the top-15, including eight rated in the top-10 and five in the top five. The landmark signings of Crystal Langhorne, Laura Harper, Jade Perry and Ashleigh Newman were rated No. 2 in the country, while the class of Marissa Coleman and Kristi Toliver was ranked No. 4 - the core of the Terps' national championship team. Her 2010 batch of Terrapins included four high school All-Americans and a No. 2 national ranking."

Five have been in the Top 5.

And they won a national championship. UCONN had Charles and Maya, two of the greatest players of all time, and won 2. One could argue that they should have won more.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's not what I said, so kindly stop telling me what and what not to post, OK?
Always wondered about this. Telling someone what they can and can't do about telling you what you can can't do. :confused:

Reaction Score
Feel free to base your whole argument on a single player in contrast to the broad numbers I gave you.

I came on here to rebut your ridiculous statement that going to MD was "The potential waste of another excellent college career." You have morphed this statement into a comparison of UConn vs. MD which apparently, it appears you believe shows that it's a waste of a career to go to MD. I am not going to address your comparison issue because imo I don't think it has anything to do with your original statement. No one compares favorably to UConn's records but that doesn't mean it's a waste to go to another school. I and a few others (thanks to those others for joining in) have shown that it is not a waste of ones career to go to MD, since they have done some good things like win a NC and develop some pretty good talents. No, it's not as much as UConn has done but that's beside the point. There has been some good stuff at MD. Since I don't think there is any way to convince you differently, I'll just leave you with one last thought.

Crystal Langhorne chose MD over UConn and was criticized by fans severely for doing so. She stated that she could have gone to UConn and surely won a NC, but she chose MD because she wanted the challenge to get a NC from a school that never had one. It was all about challenge to her. She got her NC at MD and got great satisfaction because of it. So much satisfaction that she stated "Look who's laughing now, baby!" Do you think Crystal thinks she wasted her college career?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And they won a national championship. UCONN had Charles and Maya, two of the greatest players of all time, and won 2. One could argue that they should have won more.
They did win two National Championships and made it to the FF all four of Maya's years in school including making it there last year when Maya had two freshmen starting and the the team had lost the starting point guard to an ACL injury. During Maya's time we lost 4 games including one semi-final to ND and one NC game. Not sure that anyone has had a four year run like that son expecting more would be a bit foolish given for two of those years with Tina and Maya they never lost a game. MD was never close to threatening those numbers.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I came on here to rebut your ridiculous statement that going to MD was "The potential waste of another excellent college career." You have morphed this statement into a comparison of UConn vs. MD which apparently, it appears you believe shows that it's a waste of a career to go to MD. I am not going to address your comparison issue because imo I don't think it has anything to do with your original statement. No one compares favorably to UConn's records but that doesn't mean it's a waste to go to another school. I and a few others (thanks to those others for joining in) have shown that it is not a waste of ones career to go to MD, since they have done some good things like win a NC and develop some pretty good talents. No, it's not as much as UConn has done but that's beside the point. There has been some good stuff at MD. Since I don't think there is any way to convince you differently, I'll just leave you with one last thought.

Crystal Langhorne chose MD over UConn and was criticized by fans severely for doing so. She stated that she could have gone to UConn and surely won a NC, but she chose MD because she wanted the challenge to get a NC from a school that never had one. It was all about challenge to her. She got her NC at MD and got great satisfaction because of it. So much satisfaction that she stated "Look who's laughing now, baby!" Do you think Crystal thinks she wasted her college career?

As you said they were lucky to win that title. I don't believe I ever said wasted her career but rather wasted her talent. Specifically, she would be an even stronger player today if she had chosen CT. My posts have been directed at player development. Kids have many reasons for choosing the colleges they chose. See Elena Delle Donne. I'm glad for Langhorne to have won that title if her goal was to help MD win their first. I do not believe she became the player she might have a UConn. DD may well have excellent reasons to choose MD, the opportunity to maximize her considerable talents in not one of them and I think there are, also, there are additional better choices besides UConn as I already named above. One thing she will learn at UConn that has yet to be done at MD is learn to play defense. Year in and year out that is one of UConn's most consistent traits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom