Hoopfeed: “Young and hungry” Connecticut Sun open camp with energy and a new attitude | The Boneyard

Hoopfeed: “Young and hungry” Connecticut Sun open camp with energy and a new attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Greene may have coined a slogan for the team’s season when she said “it is nothing but up from here; everyone’s positive, everyone’s working hard. A lot of great personalities and everyone’s ready to play, excited to play. Young and hungry, that should be our slogan for the year. Well, except for KT (Douglas) being old.”

I came away impressed with the new “Young and hungry” Connecticut Sun after media day.

You can read about it here on Hoopfeed

http://j.mp/1o3SE9o

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So predictable. In fact it was predicted two weeks ago. See post #16 in this thread that stated - Job 1 for hacks is to stay employed for as long as possible. The way they do that is to blow up the current team usually smearing the top player in the process. That buys them at least two years "for rebuilding" while the fans will be asked for "patience" with their "young and hungry" team.

Reaction Score
THough I don't follow pro ball, I did check this thread (obviously), and an interested to know why Bone is not in camp yet. And of you folks have any info on that? Not that I'm surprised to read that about her, just curious.

Reaction Score
No one is asking for patience. In fact Sienko said the goal is playoffs this year, as did Ogwumike and Douglas.

We get it, you are mad about the Tina Charles trade, but why won't you give this group a chance?

No one said they are going to be world beaters, but at least they want to be there and will give 100% effort..

Reaction Score
THough I don't follow pro ball, I did check this thread (obviously), and an interested to know why Bone is not in camp yet. And of you folks have any info on that? Not that I'm surprised to read that about her, just curious.

Just finishing in Turkey; will be here shortly along with a few others finishing up.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
My feeling is don't get down on the players because we may or may not like the coaching staff/management. I'm all for giving the team a fighting chance this year, and letting them prove it with their game. It could be a good mix of new/veteran and mature/rookie players that may pleasantly surprise us. That said, I will still enjoy seeing the UConn alumnae come thru on other teams as well. I just like to watch good bball games....and it's a loooong way until the next UConn games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No one is asking for patience... .

Maybe not, but they did smear their top player on the way out the door didn't they? That post was pre-smear. But why are you responding like that? You didn't like it when I said water carrier back then, but if it walks like a duck...

Reaction Score
I just started watching the WNBA last season so I don't know what went on before that.

I think that almost every team in the league has a fighting chance and everyone's on a pretty level playing field except for maybe Seattle. Chicago and Tulsa could be hurting too- all due to their main post players missing the season for one reason or another.

The Sun look like they could have a good season.

Reaction Score
Awesome post IMO, ChicagoGG.

There was just such an overall difference yesterday from last year in the air. It just felt it.

Reaction Score
Maybe not, but they did smear their top player on the way out the door didn't they? That post was pre-smear. But why are you responding like that? You didn't like it when I said water carrier back then, but if it walks like a duck...

We differ on opinion on the Charles departure somewhat. While I don't know if it's necessary to tell the public what may (or may not) have happened, but when a player forces management's hand like that, I feel you have to take the bad with the good.

Remember, this is a franchise that just was forced to deal a local hero, a UConn legend and sell it to UConn (and other) fans. So if they felt to make it more explainable they needed to make it known how Tina forced a trade, she's a big girl, she can take it.

I replied to your post because it seems like you're dooming the team to mediocrity and no success with your comment about the young and hungry/rebuilding. If the problem is indeed management, trust me, they'll hear about it from their bosses.

Not sure about the water carrier thing; I don't remember that post/thread.

All I'm saying is there is talent there. Douglas, Ogwumike, Thomas, Bone, Montgomery. Let's let the season start before we sentence them to next year's lottery.

Reaction Score
I just started watching the WNBA last season so I don't know what went on before that.

I think that almost every team in the league has a fighting chance and everyone's on a pretty level playing field except for maybe Seattle. Chicago and Tulsa could be hurting too- all due to their main post players missing the season for one reason or another.

The Sun look like they could have a good season.

It's going to be a lot more fun ball to watch. Even Katie Douglas said there's something about the energy of youth that charges the system. And Ogwumike and Thomas in particular have a LOT of energy!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I HATE that Coach T was fired. Terrible move on Management's part. I HATE that Tina left, but as I said elsewhere on this board, it was going to happen someday soon anyway, and I'm glad we got something for her besides an empty locker.

I was at the practice that was held after media day and to some degree I agree with DishNSwish... there's some energy there that was clearly missing last year and maybe even late the year before. As I have already laid my money down on season tickets again, I will embrace the new look and see what this season brings (although it will be PAINFUL to see Tina in a NYL uni... 7 frickin' games).

At the Sun practice I saw Alex Bentley looking very comfortable as a vocal presence on the team... she might end up being a great pick up.

I saw Kelsey Griffin working with Cheney on the offensive sets... she offered CO direction, and on more than one occasion I saw Cheney ask her questions.

Not surprisingly, Kelly Faris was killing it on the defensive end and hustling like mad. Kelly needs her offense to come around. Did not put up great numbers overseas.

KT has the stroke... if her body holds up it'll remind us of the good old days... glad she's here.

Cheney will be an interesting story. Can the double-double machine carry over at this level? Honestly, my first impression of her standing at floor level was "no way she's 6'4"! Tina is a legit 6'4" not so sure with Cheney. No doubt a talented, high energy player, though.

To my eye, the biggest things missing here is quality size and a mid range game from the post. If Thomas (who has a really odd shooting motion, BTW) and Cheney can develop as mid-range threats, that would be helpful as I can't see KT surviving playing small forward very long.

Kelsey Bone does not have to be the next Tina Charles but she does have to work her but off and play smart. She seems to have had a really good season overseas and I hope it can carry over.

Anyway, the best thing about sports is that its just a game, and there's always next year. Does that provide cover to bad managers and coaches? At times, yes. But its a great game, and this is a good bunch of woman who are worth watching. As long as they put out max effort, they have my support.

Reaction Score
Great post psconn.

First time I ever met Alex Bentley; the kid is a pistol. Great sense of humor, very confident.

I agree that Bone will be key to their success as that actual center with size and post game.

Today the Sun cut Keisha Hampton and Shenneika Smith.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Great post psconn.

First time I ever met Alex Bentley; the kid is a pistol. Great sense of humor, very confident.

I agree that Bone will be key to their success as that actual center with size and post game.

She is indeed. Loved having her at PSU.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Great post psconn.

I mean, how can I not love this team - 3 Hoosiers vying for time. (Faris, Douglass and Bentley).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
in Turkey, she's up 2-1 in the final against "Angel" and Cappie... along with Hollingsworth

Reaction Score
I'm going to the game Sunday...front row, Baby!

Gotta see at least one CT Sun game up close and personal. I'll be able to see and hear everything that goes on right behind the benches. It'll be interesting to hear how Charles and Laimbeer are greeted.

Reaction Score
Great post psconn.

Oh!

The cuts begin...

Reaction Score
FWIW: I looked closely at Chiney when she stood next to Kayla Peterson and they were both the same height. Kayla is listed as being 6' 4".

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
DC: Interesting. Any news on how she did in the game or in the season? Thanks again for update.

In 19 games:

22.7 min/gm
5.8 rpg
10.1 ppg shooting 52% 4th scorer on team behind Shavonte Zellous, Alba Torrens and Sancho Lyttle
<1 bs, st, as per game

Reaction Score
PSC: thank you. Sounds like a nice season Am not a fan of the pros (nor have I been a fan of Bone and her mother) , but we have quite a history with Bone, and I do wish our state pro team well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom