Holly Warlick press conference | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Holly Warlick press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Even if the players totally bought into the PHS/Holly system, they would be buying into an outdated and outmoded system that is not going to win consistently today against teams with more advanced concepts of both offense and defense. This is probably one reason theat they are not buying into it. I have not seen any UT games this year, but from reading the comments of UT fans, the basic problem seems to be one of lack of team play and cooperation, both on offense and defense. This COULD be because of diva personalities on the part of the players, or it COULD be because of the "system" they are being taught in practice. Or a combination of the two. Pat was able to put enough fear into her players that they would go out and play to the absolute extent of their abilities, which covered a lot of faults in strategy. Holly seems to just not have that ability to strike fear into their hearts. It has been posted many times that Pat's "system" consisted of chucking up shots, hitting the boards, and ferocious man-to-man, one-on-one defense, and this is undoubtedly true. But there was also the factor of "you get out there and bust your butt or you will answer to me", which Pat had and Holly does not. Or so it seems.

Reaction Score
:p
Gd pt- but the more info I have heard about that situation- it was a bit unique because of Billy's personal demons, and drinking issues , among others I think.
George actually had a bigger heart than we/ I knew at the time. Even though I despised him during that time as well. He gave Billy 2nd chances and I think he showed the same compassion w/ Strawberry. But Mattingly was our only shining star for 15 yrs+~ during some dark days. I think hiring Donny Baseball and having to fire him would have created another Yogi Berra situation IB- as always- there is a really Gd chance that I'm way off as usual! :)
Exactly! You're not as way off this time as you usually are! :p

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
??? Don't remember that one...?
We beat Louisville by 30-40 in the NC her sr season. They may have been FF team her Jr yr? Angel was a prolific game changer, with the quickest hands I've ever seen. Similar to Kelly's hands!

Reaction Score
It's just possible that the talent on hand will be strong enough for them to play essentially without coaching
DD, aside from her BB skill, is no dummy, and she's getting a crash course in observing how not to coach
I think they'll be formidable next season.
With the cast of characters they have, they better be, or I think changes will be made.

Reaction Score
I think, and this is just a guess, that the feeling was having her around would be good for the players Pat recruited, and also for future players that are being recruited. It's great to have a legend around. Imagine if UCONN was able to have an icon like Dee or Sue or Maya around (I know it's not identical), but it certainly couldn't hurt recruiting...

Also of course it was to honor her for her dedication and accomplishments at the University...

Yes..... Point well taken Eric...... and ordinarily I would think that this is a great gesture and LV program would benefit..... but in this particular instance, where you have one of her followers taking over from her...... then the current coach has a tough time moving away from anything counter to anything-Pat-Summit...... no matter the issue...... CHW subscribes to the omnipresent question WWPD?,,,, What would Pat do? ..... and she does not have the personal gravitas to pull it off...... Holly has a tough enough time with the job as it is in general..... and the individual pieces of it..... wow.... I am sure Pat ... even in her worst years.... would be able for example to direct her team to assume the proper physical defensive stance on the floor..... I see Pat's separation from the program as a statement essentially...... "We are Tennessee basketball, and we are charting our new beginning..... " ..... but that will not happen.... I am sure they will hold on to anything Pat Summit..... and one more thought..... we all know Pat didn't retire at the height of her effectiveness..... even with sensitivity to her affliction..... she herself said she went to the Mayo that last year of her coaching tenure because she only then started to feel things weren't right..... but the wheels were starting to fall off earlier for her..... Parker covered for a good bit..... but losing in NCAAs decisively to ........ Ball State......., perpetuating an antiquated coaching philosophy which worked in 1985 yet was tired by 2010...... having your guard play so bad that you guaranteed a high school senior a starting position, and openly advertising that to her team.....

all these things..... and all is perpetuated by having her legacy glorified.... it is perhaps just my opinion that this continued attachment to the program hinders the current coaching staff, who are running toward and embracing her past teachings when they should be working on charting their own course..... again, JMO

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Gd pt- but the more info I have heard about that situation- it was a bit unique because of Billy's personal demons, and drinking issues , among others I think.
George actually had a bigger heart than we/ I knew at the time. Even though I despised him during that time as well. He gave Billy 2nd chances and I think he showed the same compassion w/ Strawberry. But Mattingly was our only shining star for 15 yrs+~ during some dark days. I think hiring Donny Baseball and having to fire him would have created another Yogi Berra situation IB- as always- there is a really Gd chance that I'm way off as usual! :)
Absolutely. There are plenty of Dodger fans who would gladly fire Mattingly. ;) Heck, the Red Sox might be willing to hire him just so they CAN fire him.

Reaction Score
Great thoughts by all, Tenn has always been a team that could not shoot a lot of 3's even in their hayday. They lok lost as a team and the game against Texas was the only time that I watched them this season and they are lost..............WOW!!!..They have some talent that is not use or is playing up to the capabilities..........Is Holly the worng coach for UT..Was she too close to PHS to make her own impression and coaching style.......Maybe is time to clean out all the old PHS folks and start a new.........I hope PHS is doing well and is enjoying her retirement...........Great lady.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
jsloanjr said:
Great thoughts by all, Tenn has always been a team that could not shoot a lot of 3's even in their hayday. They lok lost as a team and the game against Texas was the only time that I watched them this season and they are lost....WOW!!!..They have some talent that is not use or is playing up to the capabilities.....Is Holly the worng coach for UT..Was she too close to PHS to make her own impression and coaching style..Maybe is time to clean out all the old PHS folks and start a new....I hope PHS is doing well and is enjoying her retirement......Great lady.

It seems like the first coach that initially follows the 'legend' is often unsuccessful in sports, and that top programs don't recover til at least the second replacement. Problem for UT is the AD doesn't appear to be one who would get out there and swing for the fences in an attempt to bring in a top caliber coach for the LVs. That would take not only significant $$ but a tenable story about 'a supportive environment/climate for womens' sports at the university.' Neither of which sounds like the trajectory they're on right now.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The idea that TN could bring in 'anyone' to coach WCBB is pretty naive - the only program that has really gone out and bought a WCBB coach is Texas, tempting Gail away from Duke. And I would say that was a mistake for both parties! And Texas has more money than anyone else so they can afford a prestige gesture in WCBB - no other AD is going to throw money at WCBB. The other 'name' coaches out there at D1 powerhouses have built their programs and are being paid very well already - why would they want to leave the program they built to make a parallel move to a program someone else built. Maybe a coach like Cole at OK might consider a move based on recruiting issues? but Kim or Jeff or Mitchell at KY - I just don't see it.

It is much more likely to tempt a good mid-major coach to make a move up in class or attract a smart assistant - Dawn and Jeff being the ones that jump to mind in that category. And Texas seems to have gotten right the second time around.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I posted early (right after Holly was hired and Pat was anointed with sainthood) and occasionally later that "Holly has the worst head coaching job in wcbb." It was not possible for her to succeed to Pat's former standards nor could she ever enjoy Pat's adulation from the fan base.

Think of it this way. Imagine the reaction had the British Admiralty reserved a cabin on The HMS Bounty for Captain Bligh after his successor assumed command.

Reaction Score
The idea that TN could bring in 'anyone' to coach WCBB is pretty naive - the only program that has really gone out and bought a WCBB coach is Texas, tempting Gail away from Duke. And I would say that was a mistake for both parties! And Texas has more money than anyone else so they can afford a prestige gesture in WCBB - no other AD is going to throw money at WCBB. The other 'name' coaches out there at D1 powerhouses have built their programs and are being paid very well already - why would they want to leave the program they built to make a parallel move to a program someone else built. Maybe a coach like Cole at OK might consider a move based on recruiting issues? but Kim or Jeff or Mitchell at KY - I just don't see it.

It is much more likely to tempt a good mid-major coach to make a move up in class or attract a smart assistant - Dawn and Jeff being the ones that jump to mind in that category. And Texas seems to have gotten right the second time around.
Sherri makes $1 million/year base plus fringes & incentives at OU, so why would she leave a program SHE built? No one is going to be able to get TN back to the dominant position where Pat once had them. That IS the expectation of the fans, though, so it's a lose-lose coaching opportunity.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sherri makes $1 million/year base plus fringes & incentives at OU, so why would she leave a program SHE built? No one is going to be able to get TN back to the dominant position where Pat once had them. That IS the expectation of the fans, though, so it's a lose-lose coaching opportunity.
I agree that it is unlikely, but ... she has had trouble recruiting lately and I wonder if part of that is not tied to the location and the school - Uconn isn't exactly the greatest location, but it is I think better than OK. TN is still at the top of a lot of recruits' lists. That was the only reason I 'excepted' her.
( I had at least some question about Kim post Griner as the sort of rolling controversy dragged out - but I don't see her leaving any more.)

Reaction Score
I agree that it is unlikely, but ... she has had trouble recruiting lately and I wonder if part of that is not tied to the location and the school - Uconn isn't exactly the greatest location, but it is I think better than OK. TN is still at the top of a lot of recruits' lists. That was the only reason I 'excepted' her.
( I had at least some question about Kim post Griner as the sort of rolling controversy dragged out - but I don't see her leaving any more.)
I went to OU as an undergrad, and lived in CT 20 years, so I can vouch for UCONN location being better than OK - heh heh. But I've been to Knoxville too, and doubt that TN is on the top of recruit's list because of "location" (other than locals who don't want to go too far from home). In any case they would have to pay Sherri (or Kim, of Jeff, etc.) a lot more than they're paying the combination of Holly & Pat.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I went to OU as an undergrad, and lived in CT 20 years, so I can vouch for UCONN location being better than OK - heh heh. But I've been to Knoxville too, and doubt that TN is on the top of recruit's list because of "location" (other than locals who don't want to go too far from home). In any case they would have to pay Sherri (or Kim, of Jeff, etc.) a lot more than they're paying the combination of Holly & Pat.

And that just ain't gonna happen.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I seem to recall a little fella from out UVa way who hasn't done too shabby as a Head Coach...unless you're talking about staying at the same school...Then, I agree with your point.
Good assistant coaches often are not good head coaches.

Kevin Ollie.

Unless it's different in the women's game (I don't think it is). If you can coach, you can coach. Though it's not an easy ask to follow a legend.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Again I said often. Also, Ollie did not have a long career as an assistant.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The interesting thing is that people (both UCONN and Tennessee fans) are talking like there's even a possibility that Holly will get the boot. 2 kids she recruited aren't playing at the moment (Tucker and Russell), Harrison is also out and Deshields transferred over, and Tennessee landed what they believe is the PG of the future in T'ea Cooper.

There is nothing wrong with the recruiting Holly has been doing. In fact, I think her recent recruiting has been better than Pat's towards the end of Pat's career. Holly actually landed top 3 recruit Russell, got Diamond to transfer, and landed T'ea Cooper. However, I am of the opinion that the other players she recruited, even if they were top 10 according to certain recruiting sites, are solid but not spectacular players.

Tenn fans want to point to Moore, Middleton, Dunbar, Jones, and Reynolds as "really really good" players, when in reality they are no better than Ekmark or Sadie Edwards. My point is not that these kids aren't "good", but that they are likely solid role players and if they end up being starters, it's either because they far exceeded early expectations, or something else went wrong.

Anyway i'm sort of rambling but bottom line I think Holly has been recruiting relatively well all things considered and given the quality of players she has coming in (DD and Cooper) I think her job is safe for the next few years at the very least. Now if she can't coach those players up when they get there, that's a different story.

Reaction Score
There is nothing wrong with the recruiting Holly has been doing. In fact, I think her recent recruiting has been better than Pat's towards the end of Pat's career. Holly actually landed top 3 recruit Russell, got Diamond to transfer, and landed T'ea Cooper. However, I am of the opinion that the other players she recruited, even if they were top 10 according to certain recruiting sites, are solid but not spectacular players.

I think her job is safe for the next few years at the very least. Now if she can't coach those players up when they get there, that's a different story.
I agree there is nothing wrong with Holly's recruiting if you just go by rating service opinions. If you go by her team's needs and her talent evaluation of the available recruits, I feel she is lacking. Combine that with her apparent inability to develop players, and you have a hot mess on your hands.

Landing Russell is a good example of inability to analyze a player. Did she take the foot problems into consideration? There is a good chance Russell will have a difficult future and that Holly should be preparing for that eventuality. Diamond is another question mark, that was a Holly miss. Yes, she got her on the rebound, but failed the first time around. The big question in my mind is how well Holly will do handling DD.

I have a feeling that Holly will retire soon on her own volition. What she's going through can't be fun. How much longer can she withstand the criticism of Tenn's own fan base? Besides, the failure of her successor will bring a belated support for Holly from the fickle fan base, making her a hero in the end.

Reaction Score
Again I said often. Also, Ollie did not have a long career as an assistant.
That's a good point. The only long time assistant I think of at the momnt that did a good was UNC's Bill Guthridge and recruiting slipped during his time at UNC.

Reaction Score
I agree UT will hang onto Holly for a good while yet...... as long as she wins (which she will), she will be safe...... of course i am sure she will not win to the standards set by the LV faithful...... but that is a change the base will have to accept I think, unless the AD shows the LV program some love..... It seems he is singularly focused on football......

And yes, I agree that Holly has recruited fairly well...... but she is having trouble developing her people..... the classic example is her players will not listen to her when she is teaching them the defensive stance..... she says they don't want to do it..... well that is her responsibility..... to have them follow her on direction...... this is her 4th season...... including the year she was running the team Pat's last year...... and she should have garnered a certain amount of respect by now.... but I do not think she has.....

Yes, Guthridge following Dean.... I never thought he was a good coach..... but others may disagree..... I think back to when Gene Bartow followed Wooden..... now THAT was difficult..... he struggled, but eventually found his water level as a successful coach at UAB

By the way, I saw 60 minutes sports last night, and the story on Tyler Summit..... I thought it was impressive..... painted a very good picture of him... I am anxious to see him coach in a game.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom