Holly As A Coach: 30 Seconds To Oblivion | The Boneyard

Holly As A Coach: 30 Seconds To Oblivion

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I read on the Boneyard about Tennessee's loss to Auburn, so I had to go on ESPN3 and see it for myself. I have now watched the first three quarters. In the third quarter, there was a possession that (to my eyes) provides incontrovertible proof of Holly's complete inadequacy as a head coach.

One of Tennessee's 22 turnovers occurred when they committed at shot clock violation with 6:21 remaining in the third quarter (in case you want to watch it and see what I'm talking about). This was not a typical shot clock violation where someone is scrambling to get free and throws up a desperation shot attempt that fails to hit the rim. No, this was a case where the Tennessee players were passing the ball around the perimeter without the slightest awareness that the shot clock was about to run out. When the buzzer sounded, they were all completely surprised that it even occurred.

But this is the kicker: At the bottom of the screen, you could see Holly standing in front of the Tennessee bench during this entire possession. She was at the same end of the floor as her players, with the game right in front of her. She was as oblivious as her players to the fact that the shot clock was about to expire. I can't imagine any other WCBB coach who would fail to notice that. The worst coach in the AAC (or her assistants) would be hollering and gesturing to her players to get a shot up because there were only a few seconds left. Neither Holly nor her assistants were doing anything of the kind. This was at a point when Tennessee was down by about 9 points after leading in the first quarter by as much as 17, but the game was by no means out of reach for them at that point.

After the turnover, Holly looked disgusted with her team and turned around and continued to pace as she had been. She could have used a mirror at that point.

How can she expect her players to have their heads in the game when she herself is failing to pay attention to such a critical detail?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I remember that play and agree. In some cases, one of the players is obvlivious, which is a problem if it is the player with the ball, and others are trying to get her to shoot. In many cases, it is clear they know they are running out of time, but can't get free in time, but in this case, no one seemed to have a clue.

You said you haven't seen the fourth quarter. Watch for the play where the TN player bounces the ball off the Auburn players head. Not because the Auburn player ran into the passing lane. It looks like the TN player was passing to the Auburn player, who needless to say wasn't expecting that. I didn't have the ability to rewind (it was on ESPN3), so tell me if I'm mischaracterizing it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I remember that play and agree. In some cases, one of the players is obvlivious, which is a problem if it is the player with the ball, and others are trying to get her to shoot. In many cases, it is clear they know they are running out of time, but can't get free in time, but in this case, no one seemed to have a clue.

You said you haven't seen the fourth quarter. Watch for the play where the TN player bounces the ball off the Auburn players head. Not because the Auburn player ran into the passing lane. It looks like the TN player was passing to the Auburn player, who needless to say wasn't expecting that. I didn't have the ability to rewind (it was on ESPN3), so tell me if I'm mischaracterizing it.

seemed like that to me

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
One of Tennessee's 22 turnovers occurred when they committed at shot clock violation with 6:21 remaining in the third quarter (in case you want to watch it and see what I'm talking about). This was not a typical shot clock violation where someone is scrambling to get free and throws up a desperation shot attempt that fails to hit the rim. No, this was a case where the Tennessee players were passing the ball around the perimeter without the slightest awareness that the shot clock was about to run out. When the buzzer sounded, they were all completely surprised that it even occurred.

But this is the kicker: At the bottom of the screen, you could see Holly standing in front of the Tennessee bench during this entire possession. She was at the same end of the floor as her players, with the game right in front of her. She was as oblivious as her players to the fact that the shot clock was about to expire.

That shot-clock violation was so bizarre, I had to rewind it and watch it again to make sure I didn't miss something. It was as if not a single player or staff member for Tennessee, on the court or on the bench, realized the shot clock was expiring. Usually the teammates on the bench will start counting down the last 5 or so seconds, or the coach will holler something. It was just bizarre.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom