Hockey on deathbed in Carolina. Or is it just coma? | The Boneyard

Hockey on deathbed in Carolina. Or is it just coma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I assume if Karmanos sells the team the new owners either pay him or the State the remaining $ owed thru 2024. Big money likely but still something that could be factored into a pro franchise's price. Although IF the lease has an occupancy/keep playing in arena clause then they'd have damages to pay & more likely be stuck.

They had a nice honeymoon stage there, if the team stunk I could see fans losing interest in the sport and team but given all the northern transplants and the fact that despite what the linked article says they ARE in the playoffs maybe attendance isn't that bad? They had 11,500 for their last game but over 16K for previous vs Rangers. I'd bet once CBB is over their crowds get consistently bigger and they sellout the playoffs.

Reaction Score
The Hurricanes are not going to be in the playoffs. They have 86 points with only two games (max. 90 points) remaining while Philadelphia is in the last playoff spot with 91 points. As for the Rangers game, a large percentage of that 16K was rooting for the visitors. The "Let's Go Rangers" chants could be clearly heard even on the TV broadcast.

Reaction Score
I thought everyone made the playoffs in the NHL ;) , I looked quickly and saw they were above .500 so figured they had to be in - who knew!

Understood about the Rangers, but isn't that the strategy, sell tix to Bruins, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Flyers etc.. to the transplanted northerners? I guess they are dead last in home attendance and at 64% capacity the only team below 78% plus 23/30 are over 95%. So their number is comparatively terrible.

Reaction Score
I thought everyone made the playoffs in the NHL ;) , I looked quickly and saw they were above .500 so figured they had to be in - who knew!

Understood about the Rangers, but isn't that the strategy, sell tix to Bruins, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Flyers etc.. to the transplanted northerners? I guess they are dead last in home attendance and at 64% capacity the only team below 78% plus 23/30 are over 95%. So their number is comparatively terrible.

That's because the Hurricanes aren't really above .500. They are 35-29-16, which under the old system was over .500 (35 wins, 29 losses and 16 ties). Under the new system that is 35 wins, 29 losses in regulation and 16 losses in OT. In other words, they are really 35-45 but there are two classes of losses (0 points in regulation and 1 in OT) so they have to be listed separately. Only the NHL could come up with a system like that. Then again, it makes everyone look like a winner so that's probably what they wanted.

Reaction Score
That's because the Hurricanes aren't really above .500. They are 35-29-16, which under the old system was over .500 (35 wins, 29 losses and 16 ties). Under the new system that is 35 wins, 29 losses in regulation and 16 losses in OT. In other words, they are really 35-45 but there are two classes of losses (0 points in regulation and 1 in OT) so they have to be listed separately. Only the NHL could come up with a system like that. Then again, it makes everyone look like a winner so that's probably what they wanted.
Yep that's really dumb - so the total wins in the league are actually greater than total losses?! Yet another reason why I pay little attention until the playoffs. They don't use the point system to decide playoff series do they?! (rhetorical)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We could offer them a renovated XL. Heck we might even be willing to clean up the smell of the fry grease for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom