Hockey East to stay at 11 teams in 2017-18 (for now) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hockey East to stay at 11 teams in 2017-18 (for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Quinnipiac? Football? Challenging at best, especially given Quinnipiac officials and students alike have apparently PO'd locals and town officials so much they can't even get zoning approvals to expand existing sports' practice fields.

Mt. Carmel residents = Mansfield residents...

Reaction Score
Such a lack of humility on this board. Clarkson was in the NCAA regionals in Rochester about 6 or 7 years ago as I recall. And in the 1990s they were regular visitors to Worcester and Albany. They are simply in a down cycle related to coaching. You can look it up. Last I checked, our beloved Huskies have not yet achieved this. And I have blogged on UConn hockey for 20+ years.

Reaction Score
Such a lack of humility on this board. Clarkson was in the NCAA regionals in Rochester about 6 or 7 years ago as I recall. And in the 1990s they were regular visitors to Worcester and Albany. They are simply in a down cycle related to coaching. You can look it up. Last I checked, our beloved Huskies have not yet achieved this. And I have blogged on UConn hockey for 20+ years.
Two tournament appearances since 1999 and one Frozen Four in the last 46 years is hardly a down cycle related to coaching. They've fallen way behind and were never anything resembling an elite program. Yes, they made the NCAA Tournament every year in the 90s except 1994, but won a combined three tournament games over all nine of those appearances. That's not good.

Reaction Score
Two tournament appearances since 1999 and one Frozen Four in the last 46 years is hardly a down cycle related to coaching. They've fallen way behind and were never anything resembling an elite program. Yes, they made the NCAA Tournament every year in the 90s except 1994, but won a combined three tournament games over all nine of those appearances. That's not good.
Still head and shoulers better than UConn who should be do lucky to get to that level in the next decade. Go back 50 years instead of 46 and Clarkson lost in the championship game to Michigan State after beating them away in the regular season.

Reaction Score
Still head and shoulers better than UConn who should be do lucky to get to that level in the next decade. Go back 50 years instead of 46 and Clarkson lost in the championship game to Michigan State after beating them away in the regular season.
I know, but this wasn't a comparison of UConn and Clarkson. They were brought up in the context of QU seemingly rejecting an invite to Hockey East, and I made the argument that QU is making a mistake choosing to continue to align itself with middle of the road small D3 programs like Clarkson, SLU, etc. who are in danger of being left behind by the growth and trajectory of the sport, thereby putting QU at risk of also being somewhat left behind in the same category, while larger schools in HE like UMass, UConn, and UVM with D1 athletic budgets who currently have inferior programs to QU have an open door to pass them. The crux of the argument is, if you want to continue to grow your program, recruit against the best and against Canada, and continue to compete at the top of the level, staying in a conference with D3 schools and non-athletically focused Ivies isn't the best way to achieve that.

Reaction Score
Colgate shouldn't have a problem with it's new rink. They do have a fanbase. So that's QU and Colgate with new facilities, at the very least. The other ECAC schools do still get good players, obviously. As for scouts, I know of at least Ron Hextall being at a Yale game last season.

Reaction Score
Was gonna drop the Holy Cross to Hockey East story here but figured it deserved it own's thread...

Reaction Score
Also: (read these from bottom to top)
  1. Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 2h2 hours agoPeabody, MA
    I don't think HE will be in a rush to add anyone until realignment begins to shake out.

0 retweets0 likes

2. Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 2h2 hours agoPeabody, MA
    If I were to guess, I think we see HE stay at 11 teams for 1-3 years and then HC joins. Just my gut feeling.

0 retweets0 likes

3. Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 2h2 hours agoPeabody, MA
    URI didn't appear to be interested in elevating it's program to D1.

1 retweet2 likes

4. Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 2h2 hours agoPeabody, MA
    Also told that HC was one of several things discussed, including remaining at 11 & there are plans in place for that.

1 retweet0 likes

5. Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 2h2 hours agoPeabody, MA
    Re: Holy Cross, HC is not on the verge of happening but has been discussed by HE members. League meets again next week.

Reaction Score
I root for UConn because it's home state U. That's unless they are playing one of the schools I attended (RPI and Cornell). I think the program has tremendous potential, although it's hard to be good at multiple sports during the same season because of division of resources and UConn basketball isn't going anywhere. Recent results have been mixed, with some nice wins in recruiting and on the ice but still second division status, and a capital plan that originally included what most expected to be a beautiful new rink but may ultimately be a renovated Freitas. In the end, however, I expect the program to continue improving and, potentially, turn the Big 2 of HE into a Big 3.

That said, it's out and out arrogance for UConn fans to look down at schools that have been contributing to college hockey for many decades and have far exceeded the Huskies in performance. Sure, UConn is now in what is arguably the best league in the country (albeit one with a losing record last year versus the ECAC), but they haven't really achieved anything yet. UConn to HE is roughly equivalent to Rutgers to the Big 10. Both were picked for expanding a league's demographics and potential growth in the future, not for anything they'd actually accomplished in competition or any commitment that had been exhibited to that point.

Reaction Score
Also: (read these from bottom to top)
  1. Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 2h2 hours agoPeabody, MA
    I don't think HE will be in a rush to add anyone until realignment begins to shake out.

0 retweets0 likes

2. Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 2h2 hours agoPeabody, MA
    If I were to guess, I think we see HE stay at 11 teams for 1-3 years and then HC joins. Just my gut feeling.

0 retweets0 likes

3. Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 2h2 hours agoPeabody, MA
    URI didn't appear to be interested in elevating it's program to D1.

1 retweet2 likes

4. Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 2h2 hours agoPeabody, MA
    Also told that HC was one of several things discussed, including remaining at 11 & there are plans in place for that.

1 retweet0 likes

5. Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 2h2 hours agoPeabody, MA
    Re: Holy Cross, HC is not on the verge of happening but has been discussed by HE members. League meets again next week.

That perspective makes sense. Holy Cross is Colgate, but located in a medium sized city. I used to live in Worcester, and few of the locals climbed the hill to attend basketball or hockey games at the Hart Center (which really is not designed in a way to facilitate expansion). I'm a massive sports fans and I might go to one or two of each per year. There is very little interaction between HC and the community, except for weekend student visits to downtown bars. HE should give HC some criteria to meet, including showing that they can draw significant crowds to the DCU Center. I have my doubts.

Reaction Score
HC would be a really stupid move at this point. There's absolutely no rush to add them, they aren't getting invited elsewhere where they'd turn down a HE invite. 11 teams certainly isn't ideal for HE, but there appears to be upcoming realignment in the hockey landscape, mostly out west. It'd be best for HE to sit still for a few years, see how things play out in the WCHA, NCHC, and B1G as well as where ASU ends up and evaluate their decision from there. No HE school is at risk of being poached, HC isn't going anywhere, and isn't nearly good enough right now to warrant immediate inclusion. Sit tight for a bit, see how QU feels as the landscape shifts, see if any other eastern programs make significant gains (Bentley is building a new arena), see if a major eastern school such as a Syracuse starts up a program, and if none of that happens, reconsider Holy Cross. But adding them now would be akin to the SEC ending up with an odd number of teams and rushing to add someone at the level of Rice to get back to even numbers. It makes little sense.

Reaction Score
Hart Center is currently undergoing a huge renovation and expansion.

The Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex | College of the Holy Cross

Yes, but very little of it seems to impact the hockey program. New locker rooms and offices are nice, but the rink appears unchanged. It's bleacher seating on one side of the rink (the outside wall) and there's really no way to expand the inner side of the rink to add seats. There's no way that it makes sense for them to build a 4,500 seat on-campus rink (at a private school with an enrollment of less than 3,000) so HC and HE would be making a long-term commitment to the DCU center.

HC would be a really stupid move at this point. There's absolutely no rush to add them, they aren't getting invited elsewhere where they'd turn down a HE invite. 11 teams certainly isn't ideal for HE, but there appears to be upcoming realignment in the hockey landscape, mostly out west. It'd be best for HE to sit still for a few years, see how things play out in the WCHA, NCHC, and B1G as well as where ASU ends up and evaluate their decision from there. No HE school is at risk of being poached, HC isn't going anywhere, and isn't nearly good enough right now to warrant immediate inclusion. Sit tight for a bit, see how QU feels as the landscape shifts, see if any other eastern programs make significant gains (Bentley is building a new arena), see if a major eastern school such as a Syracuse starts up a program, and if none of that happens, reconsider Holy Cross. But adding them now would be akin to the SEC ending up with an odd number of teams and rushing to add someone at the level of Rice to get back to even numbers. It makes little sense.

This is so clearly the logical approach for HE. If we can't get our target now just wait to see if it or a better option becomes available. I'm sure they've been talked to, but they can read the tea leaves too and HC must know they are a long shot. That article sounded like a plant by HC to test the broader public waters and see if they could generate greater interest.

As for UConn, look at it this way. For once, ND's laser focus on its own self-interests finally paid off for the Huskies. Five years ago the NCHC was a question mark and ND didn't want to get into a discussion of joining the Big 10 (the league undoubtedly would have used its leverage at that time to push full membership that didn't interest the Irish). Once they had the leverage of being in HE it enabled them to negotiate a better deal with the Big 10. However, that interim period enabled the Huskies to make a hockey jump they couldn't have otherwise (certainly not without a firm new arena fund-raising and construction plan in place).

P.S. Bentley's new arena will be far too small for HE standards (similar to Colgate's new 2,000 seat or so facility). They are hoping HE will poach someone from the ECAC so they can take the open slot. RIT would be their likely competition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That article sounded like a plant by HC to test the broader public waters and see if they could generate greater interest..
Makes sense. It could also be the opposite, a plant from HE as a way to signal to QU that the door is potentially closing on their admission to the conference. Once we're at 12 with no schools (like ND was) who would have any reason to leave, QU is shut out.

Reaction Score
I think QU is quite happy where they are. The ECAC is clearly the equal of HE at the moment. And all the non-Ivies like playing in a league with the Ivies. I would be surprised if HE pulls anyone out of the ECAC.

Reaction Score
Makes sense. It could also be the opposite, a plant from HE as a way to signal to QU that the door is potentially closing on their admission to the conference. Once we're at 12 with no schools (like ND was) who would have any reason to leave, QU is shut out.

Good point. That is probably the more likely scenario but I don't think it will work. HC doesn't really fit Hockey East's profile so I'm not sure how seriously QU would take that threat and I can't see HE going through with it to prove a point. I suppose they could give HC an offer contingent on meeting a series of requirements, but then everyone looks bad if they fail.

Who would have thought multiple leagues would be competing for Quinnipiac? The athletic and academic administrations (law school, med school, engineering program, facilities growth, etc.) have done an outstanding job building out that school over the last 20 years. In an era when I think a lot of second and third tier privates will go out of business (how do they justify their costs in competing with the state university system much less a flagship university like UConn), they've put little Quinnipiac on a path for continued growth. Now if they could just put in a gondola between the two Hamden campuses......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom