Hmmm, sounds like UConn to the ACC? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Hmmm, sounds like UConn to the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yawkey. Time for you to update that prescription on your contact lenses/glasses. I have been living in greater Boston the last 15 years and I see more and more people repping UConn gear than ever before. I feel like it got exponentially better as our branding did as well. When I walk around this area, I laugh as the amount of BC bumper stickers and gear worn seems to go down each year and UConn is on the upswing.

Reaction Score
You Sir are a moron! Your at a baseball game and your wearing college gear, what???
No. I'm not saying I do. ( its " you're", not " your ", by the way ) I'm saying that I see hundreds, if not thousands, of people at both Fenway Park and JetBlue Park all the time with college gear on. All the time. Now maybe you don't frequent Fenway Park as a former season ticket holder such as myself does. Or you don't frequent SW Florida for Red Sox Spring Training games all that much. If you did, you would not incorrectly conclude that people that go to these games do not wear college gear in very noticeable, very sizeable numbers at each and every Red Sox game. They do. Some even wear college T's, college parkas, college sweatshirts, jogging pants, shorts, etc along with their Red Sox caps. Some students from the 125 schools right outside of the gates at Fenway Park, are from schools that do not even field football teams too. But some wear their their college gear to these Red Sox baseball games anyway... way more than you apparently believe too.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am not evolving my position. I didn't bring up Iowa (@upstater did). I didn't say we couldn't sell out the stadium (nobody did). I didn't bring up BC and them blocking us (you did).

I'm responding to people accusing me of saying things I didn't say.

A couple posters @ConnHuskBask and @Sea Goat who actually read my explanation now understand that we're on the same page.

Some are responding to arguments I didn't make, or creating strawman so they can shout me down. Somehow that's my fault.

Then there's you who believes it's his responsibility to educate me. Every time I say UConn deserves to be in a P5 because we're worthy, you ignore it and alter my opinions to fit your narrative.

Want to talk about BY etiquette?

How about @Marty Jackson jumping into a conversation to ridicule while bragging about not bothering to read from the beginning so he could understand the context? He literally "educated" me on things I had just said in a prior post. Is that proper BY etiquette?

How about @mavblues and @IMind not using the quote function while posting in absolute disgust claiming someone made comments that were literally never made? Is that proper BY etiquette?

I'm still waiting for someone to quote the post where I said we couldn't sell out the stadium.

If you got off your high horse you might realize that I'm a huge fan, but that I don't mind discussing and addressing shortcomings that we have to overcome. I also don't mind helping overcome them when I can. I've donated to help posters on this board go to football games. I've also organized tailgates to get fans to go to their first UConn football game, and am always trying to bring them back. There are people who have done much more, kudos to them.

I don't believe we should hide from areas in need of improvement. If people don't want to discuss them, they are free to move on to other threads.

The mob mentality here keeps a lot people from posting, and keeps us from having more productive conversations.

TLDR

Reaction Score
Ft Myers has plenty of UConn Alum and Fans. Plenty.
Central Florida is well represented by UConn Nation as well.
Central Florida however is not " SW Fl " ( as I'm sure you are aware ). I will accept your assessment that Orlando region has " plenty of Uconn Alums, Fans ", as I have only flown into Orlando maybe only 7-8 times in my whole life, mostly when my kids were little (for Disney ) and thats not a long enough time to ascertain the levels of concentration of either BC, or Uconn Alums and/ or fans in the central Florida region of Florida. I think I'm pretty knowledgeable however about both Boston, Ft. Myers, Fl regions, and simply gave my personal assessment of what I generally routinely encounter... which can be accepted or rejected by others here. Either way, its fine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yawkey. Time for you to update that prescription on your contact lenses/glasses. I have been living in greater Boston the last 15 years and I see more and more people repping UConn gear than ever before. I feel like it got exponentially better as our branding did as well. When I walk around this area, I laugh as the amount of BC bumper stickers and gear worn seems to go down each year and UConn is on the upswing.
There are probably more BC bumper stickers on cars in Manhattan, Singapore, etc than the streets of Boston. Thats because BC is no longer a commuter school for the Catholic, Blue Collar, Working Class, of Massachusetts. Its students now come from all over the world now, not just from Massachusetts. And a sizeable number return to there there after graduation. I also see far,.. FAR,.. more Umass gear and bumper stickers around Boston, and Greater Boston than Uconn gear or car bumper stickers ( for obvious reasons, of course ). Umass will have far more alums living in Massachusetts than Uconn will from now until eternity. No matter what happens to Uconn football ( or Umass football, for that matter ). But I don't know what relevancy this far more Umass ( or Mass. State College System ) car and windshield bumper stickers has in Massachusetts over Uconn has much to do with anything, frankly.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure if this was posted already but the Tar Heel blog made a pretty strong case why we should be added to the ACC as #16.

UNC has endless possibilities with new ACC Network
It's not an uncommon topic, and UCONN is always mentioned as a possibility. In fact they were a strong candidate during the original rounds of re-alignment but Boston College blocked them from joining because of some dormant ill-will and the desire to own the New England market. But it's time to stop being a petulant child, because truth be told, going winless in ACC football and basketball isn't helping anybody. Adding UCONN helps everyone.
Good to see this recognized by other fans. Too often it is forgotten, sometimes even by our fans.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was posted already but the Tar Heel blog made a pretty strong case why we should be added to the ACC as #16.

UNC has endless possibilities with new ACC Network
Unfortunately I don't think they move again until ND is forced out of the playoff and into a conference. And I'm not sure that will ever happen. It would be hard to imagine that the other schools would allow FSU and BCU to keep us out if ND is all-in. I have to think the rest would point to BCU's historically bad season and recognize what we all already know. BCU isn't capable of being New England's team.

Reaction Score
UConn to the ACC?

It would be like renting from the neighbor who burned your house down.

I get it...ya gotta do watcha gotta do....the other former Big East teams developed amnesia so I suspect that memory wiping is part of the selection process.

BB - hope all is well...
Get your e-f-f-i-n-g meds checked!

Reaction Score
If anybody listened to UNC, they'd be no ACC league today. UNC , basketball centric world there in Tobacco Row, had no interest in voting in Miami, Virginia Tech, and fought their inclusion tooth and nail.
Since 2005, BC football has won more football games ( 77 ) than UNC has ( 75 ). So maybe the ACC can replace UNC with Uconn. I'd be in favor of that. Besides, Uconn looks to me like they are getting more serious about students there taking real courses... not like the hayseed courses that UNC still allows many of its fraudulent student- athletes there to coast by on.( and where still way too many UNC football and basketball players at the end of 4 years get a... " thank you very much for taking up a class space and playing ball " letter from UNC , before kicking them outside to the curb, instead of a valued 4 year degree from the school. )

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are probably more BC bumper stickers on cars in Manhattan, Singapore, etc than the streets of Boston. Thats because BC is no longer a commuter school for the Catholic, Blue Collar, Working Class, of Massachusetts. Its students now come from all over the world now, not just from Massachusetts. And a sizeable number return to there there after graduation. I also see far,.. FAR,.. more Umass gear and bumper stickers around Boston, and Greater Boston than Uconn gear or car bumper stickers ( for obvious reasons, of course ). Umass will have far more alums living in Massachusetts than Uconn will from now until eternity. No matter what happens to Uconn football ( or Umass football, for that matter ). But I don't know what relevancy this far more Umass ( or Mass. State College System ) car and windshield bumper stickers has in Massachusetts over Uconn has much to do with anything, frankly.

I live in the heart of the Silicon Valley, and I see more UCONN fans here than BC fans. I went to UCONN against Stanford for men's and women's basketball games last year at Maple Pavilion, and there were at least 1,000 UCONN fans at each of the event.

Reaction Score
The Red Sox play BC ( and Northeastern ) Baseball every season now in Ft. Myers, Florida. So theres lots of these schools gear found around town. I've seen lots of ND gear at Red Sox Baseball games at Fenway Park over the years too. They are not showing off ND Baseball support. I see lots of college gear.. mostly local colleges... at Fenway Park. Some of those college gears we'd see, the schools don't even field a football team. Just sayin'

You are arguing against demographics with anecdotes. Former CT residents and UCONN alumni live in greater Boston, and in great number. And everyone can see this but you.

Reaction Score
You are arguing against demographics with anecdotes. Former CT residents and UCONN alumni live in greater Boston, and in great number. And everyone can see this but you.
no, he sees it too.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
To a poster that keeps going on and on and on........you can only beat a dirty rug for so long,after that it is useless beating it on and on and on!

Reaction Score
You're full of crap. I've lived here for 5 years, and I see UConn fans all the time. You can't find a seat at the UConn bars when they're playing. There are more UConn fans than any other college fan in this town.

Agreed. And I think only OSU is even close. An educated opinion from someone who has done way too much bar hopping.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
This Yawkey Way dude sucks... BC is regretting going to the ACC and is rotting away and losing games and recruits (to schools like us) left and right, Boston is and always will be a pro sports town, not a college sports town. They are a laughable player in the national college football landscape. UConn on the other hand is the only game in town here in CT and dominates our headlines and sports fan base in the state. It's always been my arguement that UConn Football could and should be the biggest/hottest ticket in this state if invested in! Diaco is the man to get us back to national recognition and sure, Benedict seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and CR can certianly help with that- plus winning of course.

Two other points:

1. The game in Chesnut Hill this year is going to be crazy- maybe the offcial start of a new rivalry "Clean Old Fashion Hate- North Edition"? (Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

2. One thing on the ACC... Can you imagine us like turning down an invite to the Big XII holding out hope for a ACC invite (fits better geographically, rivals, etc.) and then them deciding on not expanding and us getting stuck in non-P5 hell for a decade or more? I can...

Reaction Score
I live in the heart of the Silicon Valley, and I see more UCONN fans here than BC fans. I went to UCONN against Stanford for men's and women's basketball games last year at Maple Pavilion, and there were at least 1,000 UCONN fans at each of the event.

I've been to Chicago, Denver, Singapore, and never saw a Uconn bumper sticker. But did see BC bumper, and windshield stickers. But geez, what these distant places 2-20,0000 miles away from Boston ( or Hartford ) has to do with anything of substance escapes me.

Reaction Score
. UConn on the other hand is the only game in town here in CT and dominates our headlines and sports fan base in the state. .

Of course Uconn does. Its the only game in town, just as you said. Even the NHL pulled out of Hartford, and the NFL's Kraft ultilized Hartford as leverage to get a better deal for himself in Massachusetts. Nobody said here that Uconn isn't big in Connecticut either. ( although winless BC had more in home attendance last season than Uconn football did, so its not like Uconn football is awash and currently swimming in this huge football interest in the state at the moment, so don't flatter yourelf, you know ?)

Reaction Score
I believe I made this offer before but how much would I have to donate to the Jim and Pat Calhoun Cardiology Center for the admins to ban Yawkey?

Reaction Score

Who actually cares about s small quasi Catholic School in Boston?
I wish all references to that institution would cease on this board then maybe you would go away. Frankly I cringe when your school is mentioned knowing you can't be far behind.

Reaction Score
If the thought process at the time Louisville was taken, was "UConn will always be there" and it was a "power" move to keep Louisville from going to the BigXII, then why wouldn't the ACC be scrambling to keep the BigXII out of the Northeast and their territory now?

Reaction Score
someone please kill this thread. it's an abomination.

If the thought process at the time Louisville was taken, was "UConn will always be there" and it was a "power" move to keep Louisville from going to the BigXII, then why wouldn't the ACC be scrambling to keep the BigXII out of the Northeast and their territory now?

because that thought process was always stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom