"Historic Day for CFB" | The Boneyard

"Historic Day for CFB"

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I saw that there was a thread just started on the CR board but thought I'd bring it here for those smart enough not to venture over there :)

The P5 have spoken and full cost of attendance has passed 79-1. Shockingly the 1 was BC! Interesting. If we thought the UAB shut down was shocking, I have a feeling we're going to see a whole heck of a lot more football programs closing shop after this in the near future. Every non-P5's clock is ticking now to find those last few hidden golden tickets out of G5 purgatory.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-cost-attendance-measure-ncaa-autonomy-begins

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I will say the same thing I said on the CR board. Why would any G5 program continue to sponsor football after this? To be honest, I can't figure out why about 200 of the D1 basketball schools continue to fund basketball? There is absolutely no way a non-P5 school will be able to compete at all.

And if you are a player, you would rather sit the bench at P5 than play at G5. I expect this resolution to result in the elimination of over 10,000 scholarships, maybe 20,000 once you factor in Title IX impact.

Where am I wrong?

Reaction Score
I will say the same thing I said on the CR board. Why would any G5 program continue to sponsor football after this? To be honest, I can't figure out why about 200 of the D1 basketball schools continue to fund basketball? There is absolutely no way a non-P5 school will be able to compete at all.

And if you are a player, you would rather sit the bench at P5 than play at G5. I expect this resolution to result in the elimination of over 10,000 scholarships, maybe 20,000 once you factor in Title IX impact.

Where am I wrong?

Full cost of attendance is not as expensive as you make it out to be. One hedge fund billionaire can easily cover that cost for the school. I do expect the non revenue sports to be put under the microscope, they will fold before the revenue sports fold.

BTW an operating loss in athletics can be justified as a worth while marketing expense.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Full cost of attendance is not as expensive as you make it out to be. I do expect the non revenue sports to be put under the microscope, they will fold before the revenue sports fold.

The kicker for me was "borrowing against future earnings". What is that? Could Nolan borrow $100k against his future NBA earnings? Because between you and me, Nolan isn't getting any future NBA earnings so paying him that many is not a loan but a grant.

I don't think any item by itself is a show stopper, but when you put them together, why would any school bother to compete at the same level as the P5 schools? All but a handful of G5 athletic programs are running $5MM or greater holes in their budget. Why would they continue to do that when no one goes to see most of them, no network is willing to pay anything reasonable to broadcast them, there are structural restrictions on accessing the football postseason, and similar restrictions on basketball are likely, and now the cost of even fielding teams is going up dramatically? We can't be that far from a tipping point where schools just say "F it", and start bagging sports altogether.

Reaction Score
T
We can't be that far from a tipping point where schools just say "F it", and start bagging sports altogether.

That may happen, Fans of Western Michigan football should be worried. Long term UCONN football may drop to FCS, but we are probably years away from that, let the thing play out and fight the good fight. Surrendering in 2015 when there is much to be gained from a P5 invite would be dumb.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That may happen, Fans of Western Michigan football should be worried. Long term UCONN football may drop to FCS, but we are probably years away from that, let the thing play out and fight the good fight. Surrendering in 2015 when there is much to be gained from a P5 invite would be dumb.

"Staying in the game" for a P5 invite will cost UConn over $100 million over the next few years before we find out if we will ever get an invite. That level of spending on something that seems like a long shot feels irresponsible for UConn. Imagine what the calculus looks like for a Western Michigan. There is absolutely no reason for a MAC school, with their tiny long term TV deal, to invest another nickel into their athletic programs. Why do they bother?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"Staying in the game" for a P5 invite will cost UConn over $100 million over the next few years before we find out if we will ever get an invite. That level of spending on something that seems like a long shot feels irresponsible for UConn. Imagine what the calculus looks like for a Western Michigan. There is absolutely no reason for a MAC school, with their tiny long term TV deal, to invest another nickel into their athletic programs. Why do they bother?

Nothing has changed for Western Michigan. They never could take recruits from the Big 10.

Are you on the record saying that UConn will lose $100 million on athletics in the 'next few years'.

Can you please define 'few' so we can mock you when it's off by tens of millions?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nothing has changed for Western Michigan. They never could take recruits from the Big 10.

Are you on the record saying that UConn will lose $100 million on athletics in the 'next few years'.

Can you please define 'few' so we can mock you when it's off by tens of millions?

You are right, nothing has changed in college football in the last couple of years. What are we so worried about?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are right, nothing has changed in college football in the last couple of years. What are we so worried about?

Seriously is your game this weak?

You said UConn is going to lose $100 million in the next few years.

Define 'few'. You used the word. Tell us what it means.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Seriously is your game this weak?

You said UConn is going to lose $100 million in the next few years.

Define 'few'. You used the word. Tell us what it means.

How much of the athletic budget comes from student or university fees or other university source?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How much of the athletic budget comes from student or university fees or other university source?

Like almost every other school too much.

I'm compelled to ask. Do you even like college football and basketball? Do you live in some fantasy land where the coaches make 6 figures and the revenue covers the cost?

Reaction Score
This is nothing but economic warfare by p5 schools intended to drive second tier schools into oblivion. By eliminating market competition, they grab even a greater share of media dollars. Here is the sad part. By expanding parity and opportunity, more talented kids get to play rather than being stockpiled and put on ice with a pay check. The NCAA blew it big time and was more interested in protecting its wallet than protecting and promoting the game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Like almost every other school too much.

I'm compelled to ask. Do you even like college football and basketball? Do you live in some fantasy land where the coaches make 6 figures and the revenue covers the cost?

Given the nature of my conference realignment posts, do I sound like I live in a fantasy land? I am a UConn grad first, and do not want or expect the university to do something stupid financially just because a few thousand fans like myself like to party on a runway a few days each fall. So, expecting that the school is a rational actor, it will recognize that it can not remotely compete with the P5 anymore with the way the cartel is acting. It has to figure out a way to deliver a product fans want while doing it within a budget that UConn can afford. Fans want wins, so that means the university has to spend enough to compete in football on some level with the middle and lower level P5 schools over the long-term, and be one of the top basketball programs in the country for men's and women's.

That means we need more revenue. There are no invitations coming from a P5 conference in any time frame that would be useful to UConn, so UConn needs to find revenue now. Fans also don't care about this southern mid-major league we are in. The whole athletic program will unravel quickly if UConn does not find a better solution soon. Low revenue leads to bad product leads to lower revenue. It is a vicious cycle.

As far as I can tell from Manuel, there is no plan. I am not clear that UConn is willing to fund 7-8 years of $15MM/year losses to see if a P5 conference adds us. Maybe the AAC has received assurances from ESPN that the next contract will be $5MM or $7MM or something manageable per school because ESPN is losing so much content to the Pac 12, SECN And BTN. Maybe UConn is just running out the string of Big East exit fees and then will begin the process of downgrading. I have no idea. Do you?

I do think that given the amount of money I give to the University and the fact that I have been a football season ticket holder since the Rent opened, I deserve to know the school's long-term strategy for the program.

Reaction Score
another UCONN grad hear: the plan or stratagem you allude to is heir apparent: fiasco edict is to chuck clumps of arrays of at rent walls to calculate, prioritize, study, matriculate, vampirize, standardize, restratacize, kembasize, regurgitize, theaurasize his dont stink or stick on rent to causate a groundswell in season ticket holders to skyrocket from 17 in toto to max fifty to match new toopay on ad noggin boggin

Reaction Score
chapwilvaug72 said:
another UCONN grad hear: the plan or stratagem you allude to is heir apparent: fiasco edict is to chuck clumps of arrays of at rent walls to calculate, prioritize, study, matriculate, vampirize, standardize, restratacize, kembasize, regurgitize, theaurasize his dont stink or stick on rent to causate a groundswell in season ticket holders to skyrocket from 17 in toto to max fifty to match new toopay on ad noggin boggin

Has there been worse shtick on this board? Ever?

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Has there been worse shtick on this board? Ever?
people still read that cr@p? I blocked him so long ago I forgot about him... though I used to see comments on the Courant that made me say, "I know who that nut-job is"...

Reaction Score
chapwilvaug72 said:
Try the writing center. If you're a grad, they're embarrassed you slipped through the cracks. Unbelievable that you and I graduated from the same institution.

Reaction Score
Try the writing center. If you're a grad, they're embarrassed you slipped through the cracks. Unbelievable that you and I graduated from the same institution.

There's no way he graduated, attended or even was accepted to UCONN with that grammar. I'd be surprised if he even graduated high school.

Reaction Score
I missed badly on my prediction that the "cost of attendance" thing would not be all that it was cracked up to be. Because cost of attendance is a federally regulated number that each school is required to post on websites, FOR ALL STUDENTS, I never imagined that this number would rise above the $2k that most schools were posting to comply with federal regulations.

After all, who would want to advertise to parents that they were required to shell out $5k more than tuition, room & board, fees and books?

Well, I was wrong. Amost all the P5 colleges are now showing projected costs for ALL STUDENTS in the $4-5k range. This is crazy stuff, if you ask me. You are advertising very high costs for your real customers, and these costs are well above what students actually pay.

$4-5k for what? We're talking extra expenses of travel to/from school. If students go home once a month, that's 8 trips. Most of them by car or bus. Say 5 outside meals a week (athletes obviously get all the food they want so this isn't even a concern anymore). Entertainment: beer money and a movie.

Many of the schools in the black can justify this. I sympathize with BC's problem, as hard as that it is for me to say. They are already taking money from kids that pay full tuition and they are spreading it around to lower income students. They are trying to combat a monoculture there. Tuition is already almost double the actual expenditure per student. An upper income student will look at what's going on at BC and they will conclude that they are subsidizing a lot of it. This absolutely hurts the privates more than it does the publics, even though it's also true that schools like BC and Wake Forest would not have the national attention they get without sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom