Highlight of the Diaco Era | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Highlight of the Diaco Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
"The game of football is like a fine meal that we all eat together as brothers. And before you get eat, you have to 'set the table' right? So that's what we're doing, and that's great, except that there was no table when I got here. So you are all ready to eat but there is no table. And that table is preparation, the table is hard work, the table is the love that we feel for one and other, but there is no table so what are you going to do, not eat? No, you have to eat, so we are building that table, one leg at a time and maybe its wobbly at first, right? But that doesn't mean that you throw it away. No, you work to level the table using love, and working hard and soon you have a table on which you can eat okay? Then, you can set the table and cook the meal and whatever until you get to eat. So we're hungry, right? Kevin Ollie has hungry Huskies and so do we, so we're hungry and we want to eat, so we're building that table, with love and support, one leg at a time. Oh and there's a football because that's the game we play, that's what its all about right? And its gold because gold is the most precious medal and football is precious to us and we're precious together, so yeah that's what we're doing we're building a table of love, support, and golden footballs. What could be better than that?"

Some teams have the likes of Tommy Trojan and Traveler, a flaming spear thing. We had Graham Stewart waving a table leg like a battle axe... and golden footballs, ah yes, golden footballs.
That was mine and I think I was among his biggest defenders his first year.
You realize that I just made up that quote right? The funny part he actually said crazier [excrement]. #fishcakes

Reaction Score
Was the actual table leg actually explained? I remember seeing shots of it on the sideline and thinking WTF is that?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
1. Redefining the red zone as being the 22 yard line - goal line. I was relieved to hear it wasn't the 21 yard line.

2. Adamantly stating Donavan Williams would retain his redshirt through the year. 5 days later, he is starting (and overwhelmed) against a good Temple team.

3. Consistently calling 30 point blowout losses "competitive" or "exciting".

4. No punt returns. When you have the worst offense in FBS, the last thing you want to do is gain free yards and field position by doing something silly like catching a punt and falling forward for 5 gimme yards.

5. Clock management. I always enjoy a good wasted timeout but Diaco upped the ante by often burning them in the team's very first series (when most teams script plays) or even after long TV/replay timeouts. Well done.

6. Classic press conferences. Why use 10 words to say something when 1,000,000,000 will do? And not a single one of those 1,000,000,000 words offered a single point of substance to the topic discussed or could be trusted as fact. But boy they were cute!

7. Attention to medical details. I've long said that attached ribs are overrated in a QB. It's about time we had a coach here who understood that dislodged bones are no deterrent to 3 runs up the middle and a punt.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The highlight was Boyles lateral to Anderson not getting picked off and returned for a touchdown which allowed Anderson to make that option pass.

I was halfway though an expletive by the time it floated over the outstretched fingertips of the defender.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
1. Redefining the red zone as being the 22 yard line - goal line. I was relieved to hear it wasn't the 21 yard line.

2. Adamantly stating Donavan Williams would retain his redshirt through the year. 5 days later, he is starting (and overwhelmed) against a good Temple team.

3. Consistently calling 30 point blowout losses "competitive" or "exciting".

4. No punt returns. When you have the worst offense in FBS, the last thing you want to do is gain free yards and field position by doing something silly like catching a punt and falling forward for 5 gimme yards.

5. Clock management. I always enjoy a good wasted timeout but Diaco upped the ante by often burning them in the team's very first series (when most teams script plays) or even after long TV/replay timeouts. Well done.

6. Classic press conferences. Why use 10 words to say something when 1,000,000,000 will do? And not a single one of those 1,000,000,000 words offered a single point of substance to the topic discussed or could be trusted as fact. But boy they were cute!

7. Attention to medical details. I've long said that attached ribs are overrated in a QB. It's about time we had a coach here who understood that dislodged bones are no deterrent to 3 runs up the middle and a punt.

Winning post.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
OMG. Second Matt's Winning Post quote of Dooley.
3 years in a quick 2 minute read and the rib quote? Spit my drink. LMFAO.

Reaction Score
You realize that I just made up that quote right? The funny part he actually said crazier [excrement]. #fishcakes
Yeah, you spelled metal as medal. yours was the best laugh I had in three years here. That, was gold!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yeah, you spelled metal as medal. yours was the best laugh I had in three years here. That, was gold!
Believe me that's not my first nor my last typo on the board. :confused:

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Here's my highlight:
Joining Husky HQ tailgate.
Without a doubt the best decision my wife and I have made in the past few years. The friendships we have made and continue to make in this group will go on well after RE 2.0 has retired.

Reaction Score
While I agree AD David Benedict HAD to let Diaco go because it because crystal clear he does not have the skill set to run a program at this time, he did some good things here:

1) The culture has been changed for the good.
2) I do think the roster is dominated by high character guys (I won't use RKG because its a "Diacoism")
3) Getting your body in the best shape to perform is now a priority (Yes, we are too slow now in the box on both sides of the ball, but that was a recruiting thing, I think. I'm hoping the new staff can train some nimbleness into them.)

Unfortunately the inability to attract a good OC combined with a hands-off approach to offense, the wackiness, and the mindnumbingly stubborn resistance to change did him in. But when we look back later, after all of the anger has passed, I think we will acknowledge it was not 100% bad. There will be positive aspects to the Diaco legacy. I can't say that about Pasqualoni.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
While I agree AD David Benedict HAD to let Diaco go because it because crystal clear he does not have the skill set to run a program at this time, he did some good things here:

2) I do think the roster is dominated by high character guys (I won't use RKG because its a "Diacoism")
3) Getting your body in the best shape to perform is now a priority (Yes, we are too slow now in the box on both sides of the ball, but that was a recruiting thing, I think. I'm hoping the new staff can train some nimbleness into them.)

Unfortunately the inability to attract a good OC combined with a hands-off approach to offense, the wackiness, and the mindnumbingly stubborn resistance to change did him in. But when we look back later, after all of the anger has passed, I think we will acknowledge it was not 100% bad. There will be positive aspects to the Diaco legacy. I can't say that about Pasqualoni.
True story

Reaction Score

Either a very mature outlook or somebody has been down to the Newport dispensary. What I see is - mountains of young men molded into the strongest physical shape with docile temperaments of Girl Scouts consistently dominated by smaller, weaker players. Men like Knappe were literally put on their time and time again. They couldn't even move a pile a half yard. So, for me we are down to a change in culture, and I'm afraid upon further reflection we will discover that Diaco's hyper positivity was a false culture creating conditions for losing.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The 1st and goal at the 2 yard line, the time out, the plunge into the line wasting the final 17 seconds. I guess it is ironic that Diaco's ship started to sink while playing Navy.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

Here is the sad thing- most of the really good players we had were recruited by Pasqualoni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom