Hey The Big Ten Network tweeted about us | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hey The Big Ten Network tweeted about us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sure thing. That is why we don't have one and no one is interested in bringing one here. Because anyone with any knowledge knows it would be such a raging success.
That's why they are pumping up UConn, right?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I almost remember the whole story as if it were yesterday. I became a Patriots fan in the mid-80s. People can say it was a ploy, but financially, a move to Hartford made sense. The NFL didn't want to leave another "large" market after they lost Los Angeles and Houston.

Aren't you describing a ploy? Go get great deal. Use it for leverage for a deal you wanted from somewhere else that wasn't motivated until you had an offer.

It's not people saying it was a ploy. It's the definition of a ploy.

Reaction Score
Who? What?

whaler this is another one that you should try to stay away from arguing with... you make your points, he makes A point then goes completely off track (because he's a moron, who gets proven wrong on here time and time again). its an exercise in frustration.

Reaction Score
I almost remember the whole story as if it were yesterday. I became a Patriots fan in the mid-80s. People can say it was a ploy, but financially, a move to Hartford made sense. The NFL didn't want to leave another "large" market after they lost Los Angeles and Houston.

Moving to a smaller market impacts the value of the franchise eventually, no matter how much dough you get initially. and, since the Rams had already flirted with Hartford, it wasn't clear that the Patriots would retain territorial rights over Boston. So, he could've given up rights to Boston by moving, which is clearly not a smart idea.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
whaler this is another one that you should try to stay away from arguing with... you make your points, he makes A point then goes completely off track (because he's a moron, who gets proven wrong on here time and time again). its an exercise in frustration.

Of course you are right, but I was hoping he'd suggest that Morgan Bulkeley would rise from the dead and bring Hartford an MISL team.

Reaction Score
Moving to a smaller market impacts the value of the franchise eventually, no matter how much dough you get initially. and, since the Rams had already flirted with Hartford, it wasn't clear that the Patriots would retain territorial rights over Boston. So, he could've given up rights to Boston by moving, which is clearly not a smart idea.
I am aware of franchise valuation, as well. But the Patriots would still have been a New England team. I very much doubt the NFL would have let anyone move into Boston if the Patriots moved to Hartford. I am sure you know franchise relocations have to be approved by the leagues.

Matt (Chicago)...don't you have some bon bons to eat and some Oprah to watch? Did you notice I walked away from arguing or didn't care to argue? Drama queen.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
On the Whalers, (I'll switch back my avatar if I must).

Team was forced on the NHL in the merger as it was the strongest franchise. Boston (where've we heard that) didn't want them.

Team underperformed on the ice and in the front office (thanks EJ), but sold most of it's tickets in what became an undersized building. Attendence was not the issue.

There was little to no ancillary revenue from the skyboxes (too few and too few sold), concessions or parking. That was a major problem.

The other major problem was a horrible TV deal. All rights were local back then and the Whalers didn't get much from.theirs.

So, after EJ gutted the team, and they missed with Pronger, Zalapski, Cullen, Coffey, and Shanahan, the team was weak in the standings and on balance sheet. When the NHL started looking south and west, along comes an industry insider, Cap'n Ponytail, to convince Bettman to allow him to buy and move the team.

A new arena was batted around, but he was determined to move.

With the current revenue sharing and salary cap, a Hartford hockey team would do just fine with a new arena. It has about 10-15 years before you'd have to rebuild the fanbase from scratch.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Here's an interesting article about Hartford's most recent foray into pro sports and the city's most recent attempt to get back in. Supposedly, Kraft was saying in March of 1997 that the Whalers should accept the state's offer.

http://nesn.com/2013/01/patriots-wo...mbolize-difficult-period-in-hartford-history/

The only reason we have no pro franchise is being sandwiched between NYC and Boston. Not hard to grasp. The Whalers leaving was about spreading interest in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom