Hey Ken Davis - go away | The Boneyard

Hey Ken Davis - go away

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
UConn AD Vows To Improve Mentality Of Husky Fan Base - Today's U

The Rent doesn’t provide home field advantage these days. It has become devoid of enthusiasm, unlike most college football stadiums. There is little pageantry and only small instances of crowd support. UConn’s games have more closely resembled polite scrimmages stage for family members and friends. There is little to no interest in spring football, which is annually obscured by the men’s and women’s basketball teams running deep in the NCAA tournaments. Average attendance last season was 28,224.

UConn fans do enjoy tailgating. They arrive early and set up early for the social activities. But they are in no hurry to be in their seats for the opening kickoff. Some never enter the stadium. Many are in a rush to leave after the third quarter – either tired of the losing or trying to avoid traffic.

It’s possible Griffin would no longer recognize the joint.

devoid of enthusiasm - you mean like your 2 bit website? Go away...

Reaction Score
I got news for Mr. Benedict. Playing Friday night games against East Carolina and SMU will result in a devoid of enthusiasm. You have one way to fix that and that will be known possibly this week.

Reaction Score
I got news for Mr. Benedict. Playing Friday night games against East Carolina and SMU will result in a devoid of enthusiasm. You have one way to fix that and that will be known possibly this week.

But you see that's exactly the point, they don't want the "if you invite us we will come" promise, they want the fans to support the team regardless of the opponent, good times and bad, prove we belong. As much as I am indifferent about Ken Davis there's nothing in that article that we don't spout off about here daily. And if we just grab on to that snippit we're missing the point entirely.

Reaction Score
But you see that's exactly the point, they don't want the "if you invite us we will come" promise, they want the fans to support the team regardless of the opponent, good times and bad, prove we belong. As much as I am indifferent about Ken Davis there's nothing in that article that we don't spout off about here daily. And if we just grab on to that snippit we're missing the point entirely.
Fine, then at least give us some damn offense. I'm sorry, you at least need to put up some points against these boring opponents. As long as we're finishing games against Tulane 13-10, you're not filling the stands. It's painful to watch.

Reaction Score
Fine, then at least give us some damn offense. I'm sorry, you at least need to put up some points against these boring opponents. As long as we're finishing games against Tulane 13-10, you're not filling the stands. It's painful to watch.
Can't argue with that at all, all signs right now are saying that the O is getting better, still work to do. Sometimes I wish we could be one of those teams that can figure it out quickly, we just haven't been that way for whatever reason under any of our coaches in D1

Reaction Score
I'd say the minute we are in the Big 12, the stadium comes back to life in a big way. Big time college football will draw the next tier of fan base that dissipated with the ACC raid and BE implosion. Simply put, we were competing at a national level, the rug was pulled out and an utter dolt took over the program and drove it into the gutter. The fans in Connecticut are not stupid and know a good product when they see it. They also won't pay up to see second tier conference play packaged up as something it isnt. Make no mistake, Connecticut fans will be louder and prouder than ever with a shot to return to a national stage. From where I sit, that make our fans truly special because they demand and expect excellence. That is the difference between UConn and every other program being considered. We contend for championships and won't stop until we do. In 5 years UConn will be in the top tier of the Big12 by force of will. In the meantime, until we get to the promised land, the hard core 28,000 hold the fort, and those 28,000 are amazing given the undeserved hard kicks in the pants this program has received. To sum up. Please don't tell us what we need to prove. You don't the first thing about UConn or its fans.

Reaction Score
I'd say the minute we are in the Big 12, the stadium comes back to life in a big way. Big time college football will draw the next tier of fan base that dissipated with the ACC raid and BE implosion. Simply put, we were competing at a national level, the rug was pulled out and an utter dolt took over the program and drove it into the gutter. The fans in Connecticut are not stupid and know a good product when they see it. They also won't pay up to see second tier conference play packaged up as something it isnt. Make no mistake, Connecticut fans will be louder and prouder than ever with a shot to return to a national stage. From where I sit, that make our fans truly special because they demand and expect excellence. That is the difference between UConn and every other program being considered. We contend for championships and won't stop until we do. In 5 years UConn will be in the top tier of the Big12 by force of will. In the meantime, until we get to the promised land, the hard core 28,000 hold the fort, and those 28,000 are amazing given the undeserved hard kicks in the pants this program has received. To sum up. Please don't tell us what we need to prove. You don't the first thing about UConn or its fans.

Fans that only show up under specific conditions aren't fans of the team they are fans of the event. I don't need a top tier opponent or a P5 conference to get me to the games on time cheer loudly and stay till the end. All that stuff is great, and would be welcome if it happens, but I'm a fan of the teams and the University and it doesn't come with stipulations.

Reaction Score
Like almost all of this, but 5 years might be a little quick to make top tier in any P5.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Fans that only show up under specific conditions aren't fans of the team they are fans of the event. I don't need a top tier opponent or a P5 conference to get me to the games on time cheer loudly and stay till the end. All that stuff is great, and would be welcome if it happens, but I'm a fan of the teams and the University and it doesn't come with stipulations.
Ok, Biggest Fan cookie for you... But in reality, quality matters. Quality of the team and quality of the opponent. These matter to all those "lesser" fans who used to have butts in seats and who we need back.

Reaction Score
I'd say UConn fans suck. We are failing our FB team.
Have to stop blaming our attendance problems on SMU, Memphis and Coach PP. People would rather do something else, even if you gave them the ticket for free.

Reaction Score
Ok, Biggest Fan cookie for you... But in reality, quality matters. Quality of the team and quality of the opponent. These matter to all those "lesser" fans who used to have butts in seats and who we need back.

Their not lesser fans, and I'm not looking for recognition, hardly the point actually, those types of people are just not fans of the team, they are their for the event, the same people who need to be seen waving across the stadium, wander around the concourse the entire time leave early to get more tailgating in or to beat the traffic. Yes we need the casual fans, but don't try to claim that we deserve better simply because we are successful in other sports and that when we get better opponents we will show up. We have to fight our stigma not embrace it.

Reaction Score
Have to stop blaming our attendance problems on SMU, Memphis and Coach PP. People would rather do something else, even if you gave them the ticket for free.
Too many times I have been turned down when I have offered a free ticket to friends. Too much stuff to do in the fall, kid stuff and getting ready for winter I guess. A woman I worked with who was transferred up from Florida and bought a condo said "you guys don't realize how much you do to get ready for winter". I think for me the HD DVR has been a revelation since I can watch it on my time. As for me I retired 4.5 years ago. I was part of a small group of 5 members who tailgated together that has disbanded due to the death of our good friend and Ticket administrator. There were a total of 19 seats in preferred seating that used my friend's standing since he also had tickets for women and men's BB. For whatever reason none of the other 14 seats wanted to renew and so for the 1st time in 13 years I will not have seasons tickets. I will go to the occasional game when I not biking or working my part time job in a nearby Vineyard. I know I'll take some heat but so be it. I only had 2 out of the 19 seats. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!

Reaction Score
For whatever reason none of the other 14 seats wanted to renew and so for the 1st time in 13 years I will not have seasons tickets. I will go to the occasional game when I not biking or working my part time job in a nearby Vineyard. I know I'll take some heat but so be it. I only had 2 out of the 19 seats. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!

And so the heat begins!!

Why let your friends control what you do? Buy the 2 tickets you owned. Make new friends. Join in with other tailgates. Most anyone I know would be happy to have another new person join their tailgate. You can join our's if you'd like. But don't use the excuse that my friends did not renew so I can't. I went alone for years. You can do it. Don't give up now. Especially this year. Not a good year to give up. Every ticket is critical.

Reaction Score
This reminds of the conversation prior to going 1A. Critics were saying that UConn was only drawing 6,000 people to games at Memorial Stadium, it was unrealistic to believe we would draw (the projected) 25,000 at a new stadium.

It changes fast when Oklahoma comes to town. We need to expand the stadium, now.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Their not lesser fans, and I'm not looking for recognition, hardly the point actually, those types of people are just not fans of the team, they are their for the event, the same people who need to be seen waving across the stadium, wander around the concourse the entire time leave early to get more tailgating in or to beat the traffic. Yes we need the casual fans, but don't try to claim that we deserve better simply because we are successful in other sports and that when we get better opponents we will show up. We have to fight our stigma not embrace it.
I don't think it's a matter of "deserve" so much as we've proven that we respond to moderate success against teams we care about. Our attendance was pretty great during the Edsall years at the Rent, largely for those reasons. It can be great again if we fix those. To Benedict's credit, he's leaving no stone unturned - make the game day experience better, tip the overall value proposition so that UConn Football is the event that people don't want to miss as opposed to apple picking or whatever. It's just that much harder to do while in the league that we are in.

Reaction Score
They screwed the pooch with the P hire, followed by the empty cupboard mantra the school put out through the media to defend P&D. It's starting to bounce back from that debacle. But bad, boring, uninspired football is not going to be supported by any fan base for too long. It's bouncing back, but the idea that a loyal fab base is going to show up and enthusiastically cheer on a team that struggled to gain 1st downs is silly.

Reaction Score
UConn has a good FB team and a great upcoming schedule, season tickets still low. Excuses aren't working anymore, UConn FB fans are poor

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This reminds of the conversation prior to going 1A. Critics were saying that UConn was only drawing 6,000 people to games at Memorial Stadium, it was unrealistic to believe we would draw (the projected) 25,000 at a new stadium.

It changes fast when Oklahoma comes to town. We need to expand the stadium, now.
We'll get there but it takes time, just as building a football team takes time. The key, in my opinion, is getting the students 1) to the game and 2) in there seats before the opening kickoff and 3) staying there until the final gun. It's tough to reeducate the old farts, but the kids are just building habits now. If they learn that you watch the game from start to finish and make football home games, at least, a priority, attendance and the game day experience will build over time.

We are at a big disadvantage, at least as far as the students go, by having an off campus stadium. We need to make an effort to correct that. I suggest the following:

1) Cheap tickets that include transportation and a pre game tailgate and give away in a dedicated student area.

2) Buses that arrive before the game starts and leave after the game ends. If you want to do things differently, you're on your own.

3) Shut down the 'student tailgate' with enough time for everyone to head into the Rent and in their seats before the start of the game

4) Pre game give aways, or "Husky points" to reward students who are in their seats before kick off.

5) Post game give aways activities for students to kill time to have them leave after the crowd, (No waiting on the bus for cars to leave.)​

Reaction Score
I don't think it's a matter of "deserve" so much as we've proven that we respond to moderate success against teams we care about. Our attendance was pretty great during the Edsall years at the Rent, largely for those reasons. It can be great again if we fix those. To Benedict's credit, he's leaving no stone unturned - make the game day experience better, tip the overall value proposition so that UConn Football is the event that people don't want to miss as opposed to apple picking or whatever. It's just that much harder to do while in the league that we are in.

But there in lies the problem, I agree we respond well to even moderate success, and that the Edsall years were pretty decent, many great memories were had. But Benedict is giving us the keys to the car, it's on us. If you want the better opponents we can't wait until we are invited, we have to show up now, yes even against opponents we don't really care about. Because those doing the inviting are watching and they don't give a rats ashtray if we like the opponent, they want to know we support the program. So some can get on the path that it's just not going to happen for them if we're in this conference, fine by me either way because I'll be there, but you can't complain later if we don't get out of this snow hole.

Reaction Score
But there in lies the problem, I agree we respond well to even moderate success, and that the Edsall years were pretty decent, many great memories were had. But Benedict is giving us the keys to the car, it's on us. If you want the better opponents we can't wait until we are invited, we have to show up now, yes even against opponents we don't really care about. Because those doing the inviting are watching and they don't give a rats ashtray if we like the opponent, they want to know we support the program. So some can get on the path that it's just not going to happen for them if we're in this conference, fine by me either way because I'll be there, but you can't complain later if we don't get out of this snow hole.

Reaction Score
jerry27: You couldn't be more correct. Nothing is going to be handed to us....as we've seen in the past. This is a make or break football season in many ways. Either we want a football program or we don't. We've got to be part of making good things happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom