Here's a shocker - the TV contract will suck. | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Here's a shocker - the TV contract will suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On a good year Rutty will get $35mm conf rev and have home fball games with 2 of some combo or PSU, Mich, OSU, Neb or Wisc.

On a good year UConn will get Conf rev somewhere < $10mm and hopefully get 2 home games with UCF, USF, Houston or Cincy. #shortstraw

Reaction Score
On a good year Rutty will get $35mm conf rev and have home fball games with 2 of some combo or PSU, Mich, OSU, Neb or Wisc.

On a good year UConn will get Conf rev somewhere < $10mm and hopefully get 2 home games with UCF, USF, Houston or Cincy. #shortstraw

And this is relevant how?

By the way, you need to add UConn's tier3 and licensing for coach's shows and the like to UConn's take. In the B1G, that is all owned by Delany's crew.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Four honest questions on TV deal:

1. If this ends up being the deal, what options are there to get rid of Aresco. His salary would almost be the same share as UConn's and as a percentage higher than probably any other league commission;
2. Do the new members get the same cut as USF, Cinci, UConn? If so, why?? No other league allows new members to get full share up front, not even Nebraska.
3. Why would NBC low-ball so significantly knowing that ESPN can match and get a sweet-heart deal. They need to be aggressive: they need content, and if they aren't going to get it they should at least make their competitor pay;
4. I'm assuming this is for 2014...any news on the contract next year?

PS. I am pissed with this news. NBC Sports would get to up their fee in CT and essentially earn almost the entire $23M on CT cable sets alone. What a ing joke. WM better be looking at some other options.

I'll add to your list of questions with an additional question. It was reported quite recently that FOX was the furthest along with the Big East in terms of contract negotiations (see link below):

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...uld-be-worth-as-little-as-60-million-per-year

So the question I have is; Is FOX (or another media outlet) still making their bids for the league?

Obviously it doesn't help that the NBC bid has come out this painfully low, as it might influence other bids. But could it be that the expectation out of the Big East was that the other networks would have better deals? Perhaps this is me being "glass 1/5 full", but NBC was suspiciously not named in the Dennis Dodd report linked above, and I haven't heard anything about a FOX or CBS offer. Wondering if those still have yet to come in, before the final ESPN bid...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is nothing to stop anyone from bidding on the contracts.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
In fact, they don't stand a chance in hell of adding BTN to NYC cable. Not a chance.

I felt that way until I was told that they way the BTN contracts with cable carriers are written, the fee goes from $0.10 to $1.00 per sub if a team is added to the conference that is within the DMA.

It's in the contract.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Sorry I don't believe this for a minute. More spin and bull crap from the media who has destroyed the Big East...Man do I hate ESPN the ......

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Dude, he didn't actually say that.

You need to be a lot faster on the uptake.

But, no question, ESPN took the Big East for a ride, left the gun and took the cannoli.

I like to wood chipper the entire ESPN complex the rat bastords

Reaction Score
let me hit you right between the eyes so this doesnt fly over yor head... rutgers is the definition of mediocre.
they are a good school, in a great location, that has a long history. and now they are sitting on the winning lottery ticket. do not confuse any of that with any meaningful success on the field in any sport.

Nice try to minimize my school...but I don't agree.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Not weird. Rutgers was a Co-Winner of the Big East. Louisville won the tie-breaker which determines who goes to the BCS game...but RU gets a championship nonetheless. Weird, UCONN has two co-championships in football....so I would think you would be familiar with how this works.

Yeah two compared to one. I know how it goes

Reaction Score
I felt that way until I was told that they way the BTN contracts with cable carriers are written, the fee goes from $0.10 to $1.00 per sub if a team is added to the conference that is within the DMA.

It's in the contract.

Rutgers isn't in NYC.
What is the DMA for New Brunswick?
Because I'll tell you this, whatever DMA Centre County, PA. is in, it's not doing squat for half the state of PA. which hasn't gone to max payout on BTN. Penn State can't pull them in. But Rutgers can?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
And this is relevant how?

By the way, you need to add UConn's tier3 and licensing for coach's shows and the like to UConn's take. In the B1G, that is all owned by Delany's crew.

Our take will likely be north of $15M for everything - that includes IMG and SNY, assuming that those deals are not impacted by the collapse of the Big East.

The current Big East deal is no peach, so it's not like we're dropping a significant amount. The difference, really, is that the gap between us and more rewarded conferences is increasing like one of us is tied to a rocket.

The Big Ten's Tier I deal is actually pretty freaking lousy for the times...when that pup gets done, they're off and running again. (Irony...the Big Ten Network was the Big Ten's response to ESPN refusing to rework their contract half a decade ago.)

zls44

Reaction Score
Rutgers isn't in NYC.
Because I'll tell you this, whatever DMA Centre County, PA. is in, it's not doing squat for half the state of PA. which hasn't gone to max payout on BTN. Penn State can't pull them in. But Rutgers can?

NYC

Reaction Score
The Big Ten's Tier I deal is actually pretty freaking lousy for the times...when that pup gets done, they're off and running again. (Irony...the Big Ten Network was the Big Ten's response to ESPN refusing to rework their contract half a decade ago.)

The thing is, I can't blame ESPN. That's how I'd play it, conservatively. Eventually the balloon is going to pop, and someone is going to get left holding the bag. Media is moving so fast these days, it's so saturated. What's coming next is full virtual reality and then no one is going to want to leave the holodeck. OK, I'm joking. But someone is going to be left holding the bag, and I think that someone is Fox, and maybe the B12 and the B1G who will have to shell out for Rutgers, Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue, Maryland and Northwestern for perpetuity!

zls44

Reaction Score
Heerrrgggh? Huh?

The DMA of Rutgers is New York City. I'm shocked you didn't know that. Everything yellow on this map is their DMA...by the language of the BTN TV contracts, any cable provider carrying BTN in this yellow area will go from $0.65-0.85 to $1.00 (earlier $0.10 was off).

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360555780.003737.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360555780.003737.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 45
Reaction Score
The DMA of Rutgers is New York City. I'm shocked you didn't know that. Everything yellow on this map is their DMA...by the language of the BTN TV contracts, any Cale provider carrying BTN in this yellow area will go from $0.65-0.85 to $1.00 (earlier $0.10 was off).

Interesting. How long are the contracts? It's also a beaut that Rutgers is worth this much when they can't even get people in football crazy PA to pay up for BTN!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Is there a court of appeals we can appear before to get Fairfield deeded to our DMA?

Seriously.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Just answer plainly: in your opinion does ESPN have it out for UConn specifically, such that they would spend tens of millions of dollars to cripple the university?

I think that qualifies as an extraordinary claim indeed, and you know what they say about extraordinary claims...

Occam's Razor says UConn is collateral damage, unanticipated, and certainly not intentional.
No, ESPN did not have it out for the University of Connecticut, but in planning to protect their monopoly on college sports, they killed the Big East and did so for complete disregard for the devistating effect that destruction would have ont he university. If this is the new value for the league. ESPN need to pony up enough cash so that our addition to another league does not dilute value, or alternatively, it needs to give us our own so that we have competitive earnings with every other big time university. Until that happens, they are personal non grata. They get nothing from this state, ever.

By the way, if ESPN's machinations has caused the value of our university's TV rights, including football to be less than that C7's bb only contract, we should litigate. That's a huge cash stream that has been lost to the people of this state.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Please, enough with the litigation - it's a non-starter.

ESPN doesn't have a monopoly on anything - there is a marketplace and while they are the largest player, they are far from the only player.

While they certainly helped push the Big East towards the cliff, other conferences and indeed our own members actually kicked the body over the side. Wasn't nice, wasn't pleasant, certainly cowardly on a pair of fronts and there are piranhas that are more trustworthy than our former partners, but in the end, it was just business.

Tomorrow, every business on earth will wake up with a plan to do harm to their competitors. Ours' just happened to manage to pull their plan off - can't sue over that.

zls44

Reaction Score
Is there a court of appeals we can appear before to get Fairfield deeded to our DMA?

Seriously.

Wishful thinking, but they'd sooner split Hartford/New Haven into two markets and put New Haven and Fairfield together.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Rutgers isn't in NYC.
North Jersey is very densely populated and Rutgers does well there. With the B1G athletic cash that they'll eventually get and their affiliation in the CIC boosting their research opportunities they are on an upward trend while we are fighting for our athletic lives. It sucks, but that doesn't make it untrue.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You know what, duck* that.

According to that little DMA thingy, the Danbury Fair Mall is in Rutgers' designated market. And if you look, you'll notice that UConn is not actually located within the Hartford/New Haven market.

Reaction Score
North Jersey is very densely populated and Rutgers does well there. With the B1G athletic cash that they'll eventually get and their affiliation in the CIC boosting their research opportunities they are on an upward trend while we are fighting for our athletic lives. It sucks, but that doesn't make it untrue.

But north Jersey is no more dense than Philly. That's the point I was making. And I guarantee you that PSU is more popular in Philly than Rutgers is in North Jersey. I was harangued by neighbors of my in-laws when I made fun of JoePa's coke bottle glasses and high waters. It was a joke. They were dead serious. And these were 60 something professionals. I seriously doubt a joke about Schiano's helicopter would elicit any response from random people in a neighborhood in north Jersey. OK, so that's a meaningless anecdote, but I still bet PSU is 10x more popular in Philly than Rutgers in north Jersey.

Reaction Score
Media markets shouldn't even count any more now that you have cable. And we still measure these things as though everyone is using rabbit antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom