Herbst: UConn is "sought after" | The Boneyard

Herbst: UConn is "sought after"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Some good reporting from the CT Post these days:

With all of the shuffling of conference affiliations that has already taken place and the moves that are about to be made, there is some concern by UConn fans that their Huskies will get left behind.

But UConn President Susan Herbst says that's not going to happen.

"No. It's because we're so sought after," Herbst said Monday. "Our season this year, into the spring, is hard to compete with. We have a huge influence over the New York media market. We have not just men's and women's basketball, football has really come up, we have baseball, soccer. We're so deep and we're so wide that we're really attractive to a lot of conferences. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about us getting it right for UConn, not that we'd be left out."

And Gov. Malloy appears to be involved, too:

Speaking to The Associated Press prior to a building dedication on campus, Malloy said the school will not be left out as the major conferences choose new alliances in the wake of Syracuse and Pittsburgh's departure from the Big East for the Atlantic Coast Conference.

"There are clearly people who want UConn in their organizations," he said, "and I think we're going to have options."

Reaction Score
I read that as not just the ACC talking to her. Wishfull thinking? Maybe....

Reaction Score
Actuall after I posted I realized she probably was also talking about the Big 12, not the dream conference.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
It won't be the MAC, CUSA that's for sure!!! No Sun Belt either!!

Reaction Score
Some good reporting from the CT Post these days:

With all of the shuffling of conference affiliations that has already taken place and the moves that are about to be made, there is some concern by UConn fans that their Huskies will get left behind.

But UConn President Susan Herbst says that's not going to happen.

"No. It's because we're so sought after," Herbst said Monday. "Our season this year, into the spring, is hard to compete with. We have a huge influence over the New York media market. We have not just men's and women's basketball, football has really come up, we have baseball, soccer. We're so deep and we're so wide that we're really attractive to a lot of conferences. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about us getting it right for UConn, not that we'd be left out."

And Gov. Malloy appears to be involved, too:

Speaking to The Associated Press prior to a building dedication on campus, Malloy said the school will not be left out as the major conferences choose new alliances in the wake of Syracuse and Pittsburgh's departure from the Big East for the Atlantic Coast Conference.

"There are clearly people who want UConn in their organizations," he said, "and I think we're going to have options."

Neil does a nice job

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
In a startling move UConn announces that they are joining the PAC-12.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Big 10 is becoming more and more likely. I am confident in our ability to get into a conference.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Cincy wants us.

Herbst? I don't know. If she goes to an ACC meeting she might end up looking like Carrie at the prom

6072_3363049.t.jpg

Reaction Score
Thanks for the Article
Wishful thinking...ND and UConn going to the B10
UConn adding 15,000 seats to the Rent. Then the big boys would come.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
By virtue of what?

I doubt we are being targeted by the Big 12, SEC, or PAC-12. Likewise, I doubt Herbst would be bragging about receiving interest from the MAC or C-USA. That leaves two viable options: the ACC and the Big 10. Frankly, I feel we offer the Big 10 a lot more than we offer the ACC. We are culturally similar to Syracuse in the sense that we take football seriously, but emphasize others sports as well. The Big 10 network would love to broadcast our soccer, baseball, and women's basketball teams when nothing else is available...

The ACC already has many schools that have the same values that UConn has, with Syracuse, Maryland, Duke, UNC, and Virginia being prime examples. The non-football sports in the Big 10 need enhancement. Also notable is that we have a hockey team, which might be something the Big 10 takes into consideration.

I understand that expansion is about football, but UConn might be the exception to the rule.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Thanks for the Article
Wishful thinking...ND and UConn going to the B10
UConn adding 15,000 seats to the Rent. Then the big boys would come.
A fella can dream, can't he?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Nope. Not to be a dick, but if men's basketball isn't a factor in any of this, then saying women's basketball or baseball is just ridiculous.

Reaction Score
People really need to stop bringing up women's basketball.

Our women's basketball team could have just lost 95 in a row, it wouldn't make a difference to the issue at hand.

Reaction Score
I doubt we are being targeted by the Big 12, SEC, or PAC-12. Likewise, I doubt Herbst would be bragging about receiving interest from the MAC or C-USA. That leaves two viable options: the ACC and the Big 10. Frankly, I feel we offer the Big 10 a lot more than we offer the ACC. We are culturally similar to Syracuse in the sense that we take football seriously, but emphasize others sports as well. The Big 10 network would love to broadcast our soccer, baseball, and women's basketball teams when nothing else is available...

The ACC already has many schools that have the same values that UConn has, with Syracuse, Maryland, Duke, UNC, and Virginia being prime examples. The non-football sports in the Big 10 need enhancement. Also notable is that we have a hockey team, which might be something the Big 10 takes into consideration.

I understand that expansion is about football, but UConn might be the exception to the rule.

So to translate, "the Big Ten is becoming more and more likely" not based on anything you've heard but because you are thinking more and more that it should want us. Interesting use of words and logic, but let's hope you're right.

Reaction Score
Please let it be the Big Ten. Imagine the recruiting advantage we would have over Syracuse and BC.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Please let it be the Big Ten. Imagine the recruiting advantage we would have over Syracuse and BC.

Would it help when we fade into irrelevancy? An Eastern school, that gets beat up every week by Midwestern powerhouses?

Trust me, if the BIG offered, we'd have to accept it, I just don't like our chances of ever being more than a middle of the pack-or lower-football team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know I'm probably in a minority, but I'd rather be in the ACC than the Big 10. Being the Eastern most outpost in a midwestern league is not attractive to me.

If you want to recruit football players you need to be in a league in the Southeast. The UConn administration may be more interested in the Big 10 due to the academic implications, but I'd much rather be in a league where the long term demographics are much more favorable. Throw in the fact that you'd have Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Boston College to renew rivalries with and I don't see why anyone would prefer the Big 10.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
So to translate, "the Big Ten is becoming more and more likely" not based on anything you've heard but because you are thinking more and more that it should want us. Interesting use of words and logic, but let's hope you're right.

That is correct. Everything is coming together nicely.

Reaction Score
I know I'm probably in a minority, but I'd rather be in the ACC than the Big 10. Being the Eastern most outpost in a midwestern league is not attractive to me.

If you want to recruit football players you need to be in a league in the Southeast. The UConn administration may be more interested in the Big 10 due to the academic implications, but I'd much rather be in a league where the long term demographics are much more favorable. Throw in the fact that you'd have Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Boston College to renew rivalries with and I don't see why anyone would prefer the Big 10.

we agree on something

Reaction Score
Would it help when we fade into irrelevancy? An Eastern school, that gets beat up every week by Midwestern powerhouses?

Trust me, if the BIG offered, we'd have to accept it, I just don't like our chances of ever being more than a middle of the pack-or lower-football team.
C'mon, Temple almost beat Penn State last week. We could do well in that conference. Our recruiting would pick up big time and the Rent would be expanded. We'd be playing big boy football and Cuse and BC would be playing basketball league football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom