Herbst Talk's UConn's Path Forward In The Face Of Uncertainty | The Boneyard

Herbst Talk's UConn's Path Forward In The Face Of Uncertainty

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Wow, this continued mantra that Herbst isn't student-friendly boggles the mind. The comments even point to this.

She's clearly trying to upgrade UConn into very rarefied air when it comes to peer universities. How a student could actually ask about "value of degree" and think they're a hero is really astounding.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Wow, this continued mantra that Herbst isn't student-friendly boggles the mind. The comments even point to this.

She's clearly trying to upgrade UConn into very rarefied air when it comes to peer universities. How a student could actually ask about "value of degree" and think they're a hero is really astounding.

For the most part- the students I dealt with before graduating in 2015 that didn't like her were the ones with "humanities" type degrees and feel as though she is "ignoring" them and their degrees in favor of other ones (which she is and quite frankly should be doing). These kids don't understand that the STEM and Business programs bring a lot more national recognition than the theology program (or something equivalent) and therefore get mad over every little thing that happens. Its quite frustrating.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
For the most part- the students I dealt with before graduating in 2015 that didn't like her were the ones with "humanities" type degrees and feel as though she is "ignoring" them and their degrees in favor of other ones (which she is and quite frankly should be doing). These kids don't understand that the STEM and Business programs bring a lot more national recognition than the theology program (or something equivalent) and therefore get mad over every little thing that happens. Its quite frustrating.

You mean, like journalism? :) (yes I'm taking the leap that the reporter was a journalism major).
This was a clear hatchet job. I'd also take the leap that the reporter was from Litchfield County.

Reaction Score
She should have just answered the questions instead of attacking the reporter. Poor kid.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She should have just answered the questions instead of attacking the reporter. Poor kid.
Not sure if you are flaming here, Pal, but I'm going to say it wasn't a good look for Susan. Now we don't know what set it up. Was he late? Did he stray from an approved script? We know he didn't do the prep that she requested. In the end though, she got played but a student reporter. Not horribly, but she was maneuvered into looking authoritarian and dismissive.

The rules for an interview is to always be polite and engaged. You can move people off a topic but be polite in doing so. Think Patrick Swayze from Roadhouse:

I get the sense that Susan is not the type of person to make the same mistake twice. So she'll either "be nice" next time or there won't be next time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She could have handled this much better. I hate to agree with the ad guy, but he's right -- the last thing you want to do is be dismissive. If you don't like the questions or the kid's tone (which I can guarantee you was aggressive and accusatory), just give the fluff answer and move on.

Reaction Score
You mean, like journalism? :) (yes I'm taking the leap that the reporter was a journalism major).
This was a clear hatchet job. I'd also take the leap that the reporter was from Litchfield County.

I'm guessing there is some history here...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The kid looks dopey here.

Do the interview straight down the middle. It's either a transcript or it's not - the addition of his interpretation of her reactions is self-serving.

Reaction Score
Keeping in mind that unedited transcripts usually are tough reading, that was one of the worst I have ever read. The reporter's questions were almost filibusters and on many of her answers Herbst sounded more like a truck driver than the president of a major university.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom