Herbst raises the white flag | The Boneyard

Herbst raises the white flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/28/2429545/apnewsbreak-big-east-presidents.html

University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst says the presidents of the Big East member schools will discuss the future of the conference at a meeting this weekend.
Herbst, in an email to The Associated Press, says the meeting in Washington on Sunday is a confidential gathering for conference presidents only and will not involve other university officials.
Herbst wrote: "We have to talk about the future and how to go forward as a strong Big East."

White flag is UConn giving up on the Big East...There was a power play among some schools to get the AD's to meet at the same time, according to VU Hoops...​

Reaction Score
There isn't an ounce of concilliatory speech in that quote, what white flag?

She's working toward keeping the big east strong, as she should be. She's working toward getting UConn into a more stable situation (the acc), as she should be. She is one of the few involved that is being largely forthcoming. Quse wanted in the ACC, had to wait, but got in. I believe that we'll follow a similar path. We should be considering adding 1 or 2, but they have to come with a top 25 ranking or the discussion stops because we need to keep BCS status since the already poor big east football brand is taking a big hit.

Nobody in the conference wants to hear it, but everybody knows it's the truth, UConn wants out. But we may not get it, so we should be doing what we can to strengthen the conference.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Jeff Hathaway needs to find a new job fast

hating Susan on a message board is just not healthy

Reaction Score
That isn't a white flag. Step 2 of this process is to show everyone that the remaining schools are ready commit to the Big East. If other conferences want some of its remaining members, they need to act quickly. Honestly, I think the number of fans rethinking how bad they want out of this conference is growing daily. The initial panic has been replaced with more even thinking and the realization that the culture of our respective programs would be gone for good and replaced with a southern leadership and ideology. It isn't that a move to the ACC is necessarily bad or good, its just the reality that BC has been screwed by this and now Cuse, Pitt, UCONN, Rutgers, WVU, Ville and Cincy are dying to get out. What if getting out doesn't turn out to be good? Again, its probably the safest path to long term security, but is it going to give us what we want as fans?

Reaction Score
She is just doing what's best for UCONN. She explored the ACC option but the timeline for ACC is out of her control. She is doing what's within her control which is to make the BE as stable as possible if it is possible. Even if we do leave in the future, we would help provide a home for our other current conference mates that might be left behind. Unlike CUSE and Pitt, we are doing this out in the open vs. behind the scenes in the shadow.

Reaction Score
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/28/2429545/apnewsbreak-big-east-presidents.html

University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst says the presidents of the Big East member schools will discuss the future of the conference at a meeting this weekend.
Herbst, in an email to The Associated Press, says the meeting in Washington on Sunday is a confidential gathering for conference presidents only and will not involve other university officials.
Herbst wrote: "We have to talk about the future and how to go forward as a strong Big East."

White flag is UConn giving up on the Big East...There was a power play among some schools to get the AD's to meet at the same time, according to VU Hoops...​

I have no idea if I disagree with this or not because I have nary a clue as to what you are talking about.

Reaction Score
I have no idea if I disagree with this or not because I have nary a clue as to what you are talking about.
Safe bet is just to disagree with me. :) There were schools pushing to have AD's attend the meeting. For whatever reason, President Herbst felt compelled to explicitly mention that the meeting was for Presidents only. Kind of pointed...This was by email, so one would assume it was not just an off the cuff meaningless set of words.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is the right move. I am a little surprised about no AD's at the meeting, but Luck has been enough of a bozo in this process that maybe that is the best course. That piece of information sounds a little fishy. I think they have to be there.

Reaction Score
This is the right move. I am a little surprised about no AD's at the meeting, but Luck has been enough of a bozo in this process that maybe that is the best course. That piece of information sounds a little fishy. I think they have to be there.

Something is defintely going on. Early this afternoon Brian Ewart reports schools are pushing to send AD's. Then we get this email. Why would Herbst go out of her way to state no other officials?

Reaction Score
How many presidents will be pledging to rebuild and will still be taking and making calls in their own school's best interest? Answer: The majority.

Reaction Score
Safe bet is just to disagree with me. :) There were schools pushing to have AD's attend the meeting. For whatever reason, President Herbst felt compelled to explicitly mention that the meeting was for Presidents only. Kind of pointed...This was by email, so one would assume it was not just an off the cuff meaningless set of words.

O.K. And that has what to do with waving a white flag?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Safe bet is just to disagree with me.

I DISAGREE! Wait no that means I agree... but I'm disagreeing, but..

damn.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how you implied that by saying that she wants to strengthen the Big East Susan is raising the white flag? Playing a double agent role is not equivalent to surrendering...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I we hire Herbst five years ago the BEwould have very little to worry about (but those unwilling to put forth an acceptable level of effort would have been steanrolled).

Reaction Score
I am so glad she is our leader. She is so well spoken and she doesn't put up with any nonsense. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom