Hell of an interview | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hell of an interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
My only qualm about the "he gets the best players" argument is that it's a little disingenuous to use the "so we got two All-Americans what about the other 22" argument because UConn gets the #1 player in the country about half the time. There is a big difference between having the #1 player and a #20 player. On balance, UConn does have the best talent in the nation. But it's not such a huge disparity that UConn should always win.

The Stanford game is proof that, as good as his players are, they *can* get beaten by good teams if they don't execute well. All of which is to say, even with the best players, winning 3 straight NCs and losing one game in the last 2 seasons is pretty insane and why Geno is a coaching legend.

The number 1 player in each class is not always a program changer. Tina Charles was a program changer. Maya Moore was a program change. Breanna Setwart is a program changer. Those players are around for 4 years so even if you don't get the number 1 player the next couple of years, you have that incomparable player for fours years, which definitely gives you an advantage and makes coaching a bit easier. Geno has made a statement about the correlation between recruiting and coaching, although I can't remember the quote off the top of my head.

Once again, I point to EDD. Had she not left basketball UCONN would have won four titles during her time there and Maya would not have exited her senior year without a title. Those two together would have been unstoppable.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
He's right, but the language he uses doesn't do him any good.

The podcast "encouraged" him to use profanities according to the Courant article about this. Any Podcast or media outlet encouraging that is apparently trying real hard to get juicy soundbites so they can make a name for themselves.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
My only qualm about the "he gets the best players" argument is that it's a little disingenuous to use the "so we got two All-Americans what about the other 22" argument because UConn gets the #1 player in the country about half the time. There is a big difference between having the #1 player and a #20 player. On balance, UConn does have the best talent in the nation. But it's not such a huge disparity that UConn should always win.

The Stanford game is proof that, as good as his players are, they *can* get beaten by good teams if they don't execute well. All of which is to say, even with the best players, winning 3 straight NCs and losing one game in the last 2 seasons is pretty insane and why Geno is a coaching legend.
I would say there are #1 ranked players and then there are iconic players - and Geno has had a very good record with iconic players (and not bad with #1s either.) The distinction I am making is between a player like KML who is very good and Stewart who is 'iconic' - The Uconn list is DT, Maya, Breanna since 2000 - the others Parker, BG, EDD - not sure anyone else would qualify. They are distinctly different from the mere mortal #1s from other years who really are not that different from others at the top of the rankings in their year.
So ... yes I would agree - but it isn't just those players but the way in which they are developed at Uconn that makes the biggest difference and is one reason for the continued success in recruiting the following iconic players. Add in the team building that the coaches achieve in getting the right 'other' players, and the success in developing the 'other' players whether ranked #1 or #40 and you have the formula for success. And then run them hard and never allow them to settle for less than total effort and you have the amazing consistency that is Uconn WCBB.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The podcast "encouraged" him to use profanities according to the Courant article about this. Any Podcast or media outlet encouraging that is apparently trying real hard to get juicy soundbites so they can make a name for themselves.

I doubt that they encouraged him to use -bomb, but maybe they did. If any other coach went on an f-bomb tirade in an interview and called their fans " stupid" they would get skewered here.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It wasn't so much 'encouraging' as allowing - early on Geno clearly was skating around a non-broadcastable word, and Lowe pointed out that this was a pod-cast and Geno could use any words he wanted, which he proceeded to do.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I doubt that they encouraged him to use -bomb, but maybe they did. If any other coach went on an f-bomb tirade in an interview and called their fans " stupid" they would get skewered here.

Geno did not use an f-bomb in the interview much less go on an f-bomb tirade. He never called uconn fans " stupid." What are you talking about?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It wasn't so much 'encouraging' as allowing - early on Geno clearly was skating around a non-broadcastable word, and Lowe pointed out that this was a pod-cast and Geno could use any words he wanted, which he proceeded to do.

Geno is no stranger to profanity but his use of profanity in this interview was pretty tame.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I would say there are #1 ranked players and then there are iconic players - and Geno has had a very good record with iconic players (and not bad with #1s either.)

I agree. As Geno said, it's also about getting the "right" players not just the best ones. He has a remarkable track record in identifying and successfully recruiting those players who are cut above the best of the best AND of fully developing their talents.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
in fairness, though, he said "g-d stupid". Still, I agree and said earlier - stupid and unfortunate statement by the coach. Regardless of whether it's true or not, nothing good can come from calling anyone in your fan base "g-d stupid"

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
The number 1 player in each class is not always a program changer. Tina Charles was a program changer. Maya Moore was a program change. Breanna Setwart is a program changer. Those players are around for 4 years so even if you don't get the number 1 player the next couple of years, you have that incomparable player for fours years, which definitely gives you an advantage and makes coaching a bit easier. Geno has made a statement about the correlation between recruiting and coaching, although I can't remember the quote off the top of my head.

Once again, I point to EDD. Had she not left basketball UCONN would have won four titles during her time there and Maya would not have exited her senior year without a title. Those two together would have been unstoppable.
You coach?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score

The other funny part about that argument is that people are assuming if they had those players they would be able to achieve just as much and frankly that's not the case. I was having this conversation on Cockytalk a couple of weeks ago. If you can't do more with less (talent or otherwise) you certainly can't do more with more. Put some of those number 1 players under the tutelage of another coach and they would still be very good but they would not be great. In fact you could argue it is harder to coach better talent simply because they think they already know everything. Have you ever tried to tell something to a know-it-all? Coaches who like to pretend their coaching record has anything to do with anything less than their effort, the effort of their players, and the coaching staff lack self reflection and will therefor always be two steps forward 99 steps back.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
in fairness, though, he said "g-d stupid". Still, I agree and said earlier - stupid and unfortunate statement by the coach. Regardless of whether it's true or not, nothing good can come from calling anyone in your fan base "g-d stupid"

Thanks, Eric. I didn't listen and read the printed version and made an incorrect assumption. I should have listened. I didn't know that GD is so offensive that it can't be put into print.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The other funny part about that argument is that people are assuming if they had those players they would be able to achieve just as much and frankly that's not the case. I was having this conversation on Cockytalk a couple of weeks ago. If you can't do more with less (talent or otherwise) you certainly can't do more with more. Put some of those number 1 players under the tutelage of another coach and they would still be very good but they would not be great. In fact you could argue it is harder to coach better talent simply because they think they already know everything. Have you ever tried to tell something to a know-it-all? Coaches who like to pretend their coaching record has anything to do with anything less than their effort, the effort of their players, and the coaching staff lack self reflection and will therefor always be two steps forward 99 steps back.
So true ...
I often look at players on other teams and players already in the pros and wonder what they might have been like with four years at Uconn. (Just one example is BG who I think is a fabulous player, but if she had been at Uconn, I think she would now be taking maybe 20% of her shots from the foul line area and be completely un-guardable as a result.) Of course some might now be in medical school instead of playing basketball! :eek::cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

EDD could have been the first player with 4 titles. Instead, Stewie and Moriah may be.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
he did tell Geno it was ok to use foul langauage... I think Geno was like "frick" and he said nah you can say the word

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Thanks, Eric. I didn't listen and read the printed version and made an incorrect assumption. I should have listened. I didn't know that GD is so offensive that it can't be put into print.

63799110.jpg

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score

Maya most certainly did not exit "her senior year without a title"!

Reaction Score
It depends on how you interpret exiting "her senior year without a title"! Does it apply to ONLY her senior year or to her entire stay at UConn. I tend to side with the former as it specifies senior year but I understand how it could be interpreted as her entire career at UConn.

Reaction Score
to your number 2 - he is not talking about the UConn fans who travel to cheer for him. He is talking about the inane chatter of that ilk on fan boards such as this one. If you are not one of those who fit that particular comment, you have nothing about which to be upset IMO

I understand what you are saying and I am not one of those fans. However, a fan is a fan. There are better choice words or classier ways to say things. I know its Geno but that is no excuse. Again, I am not shocked because I understand Geno but why use those words about fans? I get just as frustrated and upset over dumb comments/criticism from fans but would not use such words.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
some people can't afford to use such words, Geno can!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
omg... Maya won two titles during her four years on campus, her final season... senior year, she did not win a title.

I thought I'd never say this but.... The season can't start soon enough geesh

Reaction Score
Sometimes Geno's an ass, just like the people he criticizes. He's one of the greatest coaches ever, but he's just a coach, not some transcendent person who changes the world. Mother Teresa and Mahatma Gandhi he is not. There are times he comes across as though he thinks he's more important than he is. In the scheme of the world, his impact on it is negligible.

Reaction Score
Sometimes Geno's an ass, just like the people he criticizes. He's one of the greatest coaches ever, but he's just a coach, not some transcendent person who changes the world. Mother Teresa and Mahatma Gandhi he is not. There are times he comes across as though he thinks he's more important than he is. In the scheme of the world, his impact on it is negligible.
Yeah, but could Mahatma Ghani's or Mother Theresa's coach? Geno could take his'n and beat their'n and take their'n and beat his'n".
(Apologies to Bum Phillips)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger