Hell of an interview | The Boneyard

Hell of an interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
http://sportzedge.com/2015/09/30/ge...some-are-so-goshdarn-stupid-its-unbelievable/

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
http://sportzedge.com/2015/09/30/ge...some-are-so-goshdarn-stupid-its-unbelievable/
Ongoing thread on this podcast started Monday.

Reaction Score
This is a terrible disappointment!! Hell Of an Interview----I thought you were interviewing someone in Hell or at least the Pope was doing it. Now what am I to think there was no interview or there was no Hell????

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
One of the best interviews I've heard in a long time. The more I hear Geno, the more real - more of a person and less of a celebrity - he becomes for me. There are witty people, there are honest people, and there are funny people. Geno manages to be all three. And a decent coach.

Reaction Score
Geno made me so () mad I could spit with his () language. The only thing he said that wasn't Atypical Geno was (not exact as he said it)==Women -itch about not getting respect then they fail to support Women's sports. I get that one. Geno really never understood his fans or fans in general because fans praise without thinking and they damn without thinking--are fans supposed to think? No they are supposed to cheer.
Geno is widely known to have super thin skin to go along with an over sized ego bad combination. I think Geno truly believe when he speaks the Pope is supposed present that to Catholics as gospel as the word of god (note small g). Geno has spent so much time reading his press releases he believes them.
Geno is among the top 4 or 5 coach ever in BB men or women yet he believes being in the lime light means he can speak like a drunken sailor (I was one and had to be drunk to use his words) and be read by decent people who actually want to understand his offerings on his team or the sport. We do but in decent English.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Geno made me so () mad I could spit with his () language. The only thing he said that wasn't Atypical Geno was (not exact as he said it)==Women -itch about not getting respect then they fail to support Women's sports. I get that one. Geno really never understood his fans or fans in general because fans praise without thinking and they damn without thinking--are fans supposed to think? No they are supposed to cheer.
Geno is widely known to have super thin skin to go along with an over sized ego bad combination. I think Geno truly believe when he speaks the Pope is supposed present that to Catholics as gospel as the word of god (note small g). Geno has spent so much time reading his press releases he believes them.
Geno is among the top 4 or 5 coach ever in BB men or women yet he believes being in the lime light means he can speak like a drunken sailor (I was one and had to be drunk to use his words) and be read by decent people who actually want to understand his offerings on his team or the sport. We do but in decent English.
What on earth are you trying to say?..................... All of the above was pointless. Anyway, GO HUSKIES!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

"We do but in decent English" Not yet you haven't.
"widely know to have super thin skin" I guess I must be outside the widely known group. Wasn't it DT that said "coach will sleep good" when warning about engaging him in a verbal battle ?
"Geno has spent so much time reading his press releases he believes them " Ok. I get it. You're not a Geno fan. Just be upfront about it.
BTW "read by decent people" No one, decent or not, read the interview. It was an audio replay of the interview.

Reaction Score
This isn't the first time Geno has gone off on some fans, so I think it's not unreasonable
to suppose that he is more sensitive than someone with his level of success ought to be.
As far as 99% of UConn fans are concerned, Geno can walk on water. Why should he care
if it isn't 100%.

Count me among the 99%. I can't wait to see the 2015-16 edition. We have a team of
terrific young women. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I have not heard the full podcast yet, but reading the above excerpt compels me to vehemently defend Coach. A few points:

- On UConn's unequaled success being "bad for the game," because "they dominate" and "get all the best players." That's just asinine and the sour-grapes comments I'm used to hearing from coaches who are not smart enough to compete with Geno and UConn and are frustrated getting their butts kicked year after year. How would anybody react when told that his (or her) ceaseless, Herculean life's work to produce championship teams and great young women was somehow 'bad for the game' or was achieved in a way that was somehow unfair. Geno's extraordinary success is the result of exceptional hard work and unmatched expertise by the coaches, and the singularly unwavering commitment of our girls, and not simply because Geno magically cornered the market on all the best kids in America. Ridiculous! Who wouldn't be defensive, pissed off, and expletive-filled upon hearing that crapola for the umpteenth time?

- On Geno's angry response to the UConn fan base complaining that "this kid's not any good, that kid's not any good." How can you fault him? I have seen too many players harshly critiqued and criticized for a multitude of perceived 'shortcomings.' Relentlessly. By the "expert" fans who know better. Kaleena, Saniya and Courtney are just a few kids who come to mind. And the criticisms of those kids has at times been mean and hurtful. I applaud Coach for defending his kids, not just his stars but ALL of his players, and calling out those "fans" who go too far. If those fans find Geno's language too harsh, well that's too bad. Were my kids attacked, I would defend them no less angrily. And with an occasional expletive, for sure.

- Geno is nothing, if not candid. Add his brutal, in-your-face honesty to the greatest coach ever in WCBB, who is also passionate, unfiltered, and, OMG, yes, an imperfect human being (like we ALL are) and the expletives flew. SO WHAT? I would have done similarly had someone suggested my success in the business world was somehow tainted or unfairly attained and that it was not the result of my best, honest, fair and square efforts. Competitors in basketball, in business, and in life often look to blame their failures on others, in a feeble attempt to explain and excuse their own inability to be the best and to achieve greatness.

I will always have the utmost respect for Coach Auriemma. Yes, of course, for all the championships and exciting moments, but even more so for his tough-love approach in shaping talented, basketball-playing kids into proud, confident and strong young women, well-prepared for the 'real' world after basketball.

Reaction Score
I have two things to say in response...
1. He's 99.9% correct on the topics discussed
2. He's an <explicit> for talking about UCONN fans who travel (some very far) to cheer for him and his team while spending $$ getting there. He's also a <explicit> and
we know it. So why are we shocked?! Doesn't make it right though.

Done.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I have two things to say in response...
1. He's 99.9% correct on the topics discussed
2. He's an <explicit> for talking about UCONN fans who travel (some very far) to cheer for him and his team while spending $$ getting there. He's also a <explicit> and
we know it. So why are we shocked?! Doesn't make it right though.

Done.

to your number 2 - he is not talking about the UConn fans who travel to cheer for him. He is talking about the inane chatter of that ilk on fan boards such as this one. If you are not one of those who fit that particular comment, you have nothing about which to be upset IMO

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Translation: Geno is getting tired of the implication that he is not that good of a coach and only wins because he gets all of the talent. That is essentially what is pissing him off. This seems a lot less about women's basketball or UCONN and more about Geno, IMO.

Reaction Score
We strive for perfection in other people , especially our idols but don't worry about our own foibles.

Reaction Score
Ms. Sweet - Do you personally know Geno? You say that Geno is widely known to have thin skin and over sized ego---Have you met the man? Do you know how generous he is? Do you know that he has matured, mellowed, and grown over the last 30 years? Are you reading 25 year old clippings? Did you know that the Podcast is uncensored and Geno was told to be uninhibited? Ms. Sweet, most regular human beings--especially coaches with a tough background--have times and places in their lives where they do "talk like sailors."
It happens. It is acceptable. It is expected by most.
Also, in any large gathering of human beings there is usually a g.d. idiot (or two) who knows nothing, but has a convoluted opinion that they need others to hear. (They love the sound of their own voice.)
Do you have a deep seated negative feeling about Geno? ---for I thinks you doth protest too much.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of decent people who don't care about the language he used. and there were warnings on the podcast so people could get their pearls ready to clutch.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Translation: Geno is getting tired of the implication that he is not that good of a coach and only wins because he gets all of the talent. That is essentially what is pissing him off. This seems a lot less about women's basketball or UCONN and more about Geno, IMO.
No - I think what really annoys him is that his players are not getting the credit for the incredible amount of effort they put into each season. Serena dominates women's tennis - but no one complains, and everyone recognizes the effort she puts in to keep herself at the top, even if she is more talented. And her talent disparity is no greater than Breanna's over Turner's, or Uconn over ND or SC - but no one outworks Uconn, and a lot of folks don't work as hard or as smartly as Uconn does.

Reaction Score

Something was lost in your translation.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I have not heard the full podcast yet, but reading the above excerpt compels me to vehemently defend Coach. A few points:

- On UConn's unequaled success being "bad for the game," because "they dominate" and "get all the best players." That's just asinine and the sour-grapes comments I'm used to hearing from coaches who are not smart enough to compete with Geno and UConn and are frustrated getting their butts kicked year after year. How would anybody react when told that his (or her) ceaseless, Herculean life's work to produce championship teams and great young women was somehow 'bad for the game' or was achieved in a way that was somehow unfair. Geno's extraordinary success is the result of exceptional hard work and unmatched expertise by the coaches, and the singularly unwavering commitment of our girls, and not simply because Geno magically cornered the market on all the best kids in America. Ridiculous! Who wouldn't be defensive, pissed off, and expletive-filled upon hearing that crapola for the umpteenth time?

- On Geno's angry response to the UConn fan base complaining that "this kid's not any good, that kid's not any good." How can you fault him? I have seen too many players harshly critiqued and criticized for a multitude of perceived 'shortcomings.' Relentlessly. By the "expert" fans who know better. Kaleena, Saniya and Courtney are just a few kids who come to mind. And the criticisms of those kids has at times been mean and hurtful. I applaud Coach for defending his kids, not just his stars but ALL of his players, and calling out those "fans" who go too far. If those fans find Geno's language too harsh, well that's too bad. Were my kids attacked, I would defend them no less angrily. And with an occasional expletive, for sure.

- Geno is nothing, if not candid. Add his brutal, in-your-face honesty to the greatest coach ever in WCBB, who is also passionate, unfiltered, and, OMG, yes, an imperfect human being (like we ALL are) and the expletives flew. SO WHAT? I would have done similarly had someone suggested my success in the business world was somehow tainted or unfairly attained and that it was not the result of my best, honest, fair and square efforts. Competitors in basketball, in business, and in life often look to blame their failures on others, in a feeble attempt to explain and excuse their own inability to be the best and to achieve greatness.

I will always have the utmost respect for Coach Auriemma. Yes, of course, for all the championships and exciting moments, but even more so for his tough-love approach in shaping talented, basketball-playing kids into proud, confident and strong young women, well-prepared for the 'real' world after basketball.

Thanks for one of the better posts I've read here this year.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Wait, is this the same coach that recently said transfers would be a big deal if it were "good players?" It's OK to imply that a player is not a good player if she transfers out?

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I credit Geno with not really caring what folks think about what he says, and for speaking his mind.

He is either right, or presenting a valid opinion, in most things that he says. But that doesn't mean that everyone is going to appreciate what he says or how he says it.

The bit about only winning because of the good players he gets is an ignorant opinion, and I don't think it is spouted by anyone with knowledge of the game. That said, for a variety of reasons (none of them bad) he gets more than his share of the top players, and with his coaching skills he takes them from a guaranteed winning team to a dominant team. Or at least that is my view.

And whether having a team as dominant as UConn is good for a sport is an arguable point. I don't think it is wrong to think it is bad, but I do think that, whether or not it is or isn't, this should have no affect on anything UConn does. Geno's job - like every other coach - is to produce the best team with as much success as possible. In UConn's case, the reality is it usually means be a dominant team. And I struggle to think that anyone thinks otherwise.

Reaction Score
He is either right, or presenting a valid opinion, in most things that he says. But that doesn't mean that everyone is going to appreciate what he says or how he says it.

The bit about only winning because of the good players he gets is an ignorant opinion, and I don't think it is spouted by anyone with knowledge of the game. That said, for a variety of reasons (bone of them bad) he gets more than his share of the top players, and with his coaching skills he takes them from a guaranteed winning team to a dominant team. Or at least that is my view.

And whether having a team as dominant as UConn is good for a sport is an arguable point. I don't think it is wrong to think it is bad, but I do think that, whether or not it is or isn't, this should have no affect on anything UConn does. Geno's job - like every other coach - is to produce the best team with as much success as possible. In UConn's case, the reality is it usually means be a dominant team. And I struggle to think that anyone thinks otherwise.
Brenda Frese has some knowledge of the game...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My only qualm about the "he gets the best players" argument is that it's a little disingenuous to use the "so we got two All-Americans what about the other 22" argument because UConn gets the #1 player in the country about half the time. There is a big difference between having the #1 player and a #20 player. On balance, UConn does have the best talent in the nation. But it's not such a huge disparity that UConn should always win.

The Stanford game is proof that, as good as his players are, they *can* get beaten by good teams if they don't execute well. All of which is to say, even with the best players, winning 3 straight NCs and losing one game in the last 2 seasons is pretty insane and why Geno is a coaching legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom