HCRE 2.0 Presser Thread (with Link to Watch) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

HCRE 2.0 Presser Thread (with Link to Watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
7. Taking a knee at the 40 yard line down 10 with 30 seconds till halftime because you are afraid to throw a 6 yard out pattern and kick a FG
8. Going for it on 4th and 12 from the 13 down 7-0 in the 2nd quarter.

Reaction Score
I'm sure one of the positives that weighed in Athletic Director Dave's mind was the fact HCRE is the absolut antithesis of the Diacoo Bull$#!+ Machine.
And I think this was the main reason he was hired. UConn football had turned into essentially a substance addict who had just about hit rock bottom. The program needed someone to extend a helping hand and refocus its track, get them back to productivity and respectability and put them on the right path. Very few legitimate coaches were going to be interested in taking that job. Edsall is step one in the process. He can possibly be step two or three, but if he can get us solidly up the first step, I'm confident the school's brand and resources would be able to attract the right guy to take us up the next step.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Best barber in the state. Now Darren can come back to UConn games.

Now Darren can get back to hanging new plaques on the wall.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And there is your apology. I doubt he actually says the word, "Sorry," but he did say "apologize." Not going to hear anything closer.
Still want my beer from sportsart.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is going to be a long off season. We need to keep a list of all the people that hated the Randy hire, I have a feeling that it'll be useful in the future.
For what?

Reaction Score
Wisdom with time
A few days ago I was very much against this hire. And while I realize that an emotional press conference could provoke an emotional response from folks to support Coach Edsall, I was taken that his words were very much from the heart. Much of this program was born here with him, and I believe he realizes the possibility exists that it could also die here with him. I now believe that not letting this happen is one of his overarching goals. I was a head coach for many years and I heard this man today. Apologies to all. Good luck Coach and players. Now lets play some football.
Wisdom with time

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you promise to get off the Palatine train, I'll buy you 6. ;) Deal?
Just the 1 for now. The process can't be forced and I thought I would be further along by now. When I saw him getting misty-eyed today all I could think is how he got misty-eyed while saying "I'll be at UConn for as long as you'll have me." The good feelings in the room did affect me a bit but I still don't trust the guy. And for all the good feelings there were still several stifled (yet audible) chuckles when AD David said, " A coach...not to use it as a stepping stone"

Reaction Score
Just the 1 for now. The process can't be forced and I thought I would be further along by now. When I saw him getting misty-eyed today all I could think is how he got misty-eyed while saying "I'll be at UConn for as long as you'll have me." The good feelings in the room did affect me a bit but I still don't trust the guy. And for all the good feelings there were still several stifled (yet audible) chuckles when AD David said, " A coach...not to use it as a stepping stone"

If his apology and genuine emotion wasn't enough for you, it never will be. Life is too short. If you step back from your anger at him, you'll realize he was the only choice that has a shot at fixing this program.

No one, and I mean no one, would be as invested as he is to get this thing right.

Like I've said, enjoy the journey. Everyone deserves a second chance. Even you. ;)

Reaction Score
There were no written or prepared words in that press conference by Randy. He spoke from the heart with genuine sincerity. I can't wait until this program returns to winning the UConn football way. Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
Things I don't expect for next season:
1. Not caring whether we win or lose.
2. Thanking a team that beats us for being our partner.
3. Red pants
4. Losing track of the down in a critical game-ending drive.
5.Telling us that some true freshman is going to be the best at his position in the country.

You forgot #6 - lack of special teams

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that schools can't contact players, but if a player contacts a coach/school, they are allowed to talk. So my guess is that many of the current recruits were eager to touch base with HCRE. At least, that is my hope.
:)
I believe that is it exactly. A coach cannot reach out to a recruit. A recruit can reach out to a coach. That some called him to find out if they should reopen their recruiting is entirely plausible.

Reaction Score
This is going to be a long off season. We need to keep a list of all the people that hated the Randy hire, I have a feeling that it'll be useful in the future.

I have seen the presser, yet, but yes, I did hate the hire, now, I think RE will bring back FB. I thought it was a 'Lets shut down the program hire', but now, I'm ready to see the 2017 version of the team. I'm getting excited at the hire. (I want a splash hire, but I think RE is the splash hire).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If his apology and genuine emotion wasn't enough for you, it never will be. Life is too short. If you step back from your anger at him, you'll realize he was the only choice that has a shot at fixing this program.

No one, and I mean no one, would be as invested as he is to get this thing right.

Like I've said, enjoy the journey. Everyone deserves a second chance. Even you. ;)
For starters, let's cut out the life lessons BS. My feelings toward HCRE take up an appropriate sized niche in my overall psyche. And I am enjoying the journey. I haven't missed a game at the Rent ever, paying full price for every game. I don't know anyone else who can say that. Every game I go to I go in thinking we have a chance to win. But this feels like PP 2.0 to me. The major difference is that PP was a more successful coach. I hated that hire but I came around. Nothing I could do about it then, nothing I can do about it now. I hope I'm eating crow soon. Better to eat crow than having an "I toldja" in your pocket you will never use because you feel rotten about the circumstances that put it there.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm sure one of the positives that weighed in Athletic Director Dave's mind was the fact HCRE is the absolut antithesis of the Diacoo Bull$#!+ Machine.
AD Dave made that abundantly clear with what seemed like 75 or 80 backhanded slaps at Diaco while describing what he was looking for in a head coach.

Reaction Score
Happy the presser went well. Randy is 1-0 when he walks in the door in a couple of days. As for my reaction? No cartwheels because it seems unrealistic to expect a quick repeat of his last few years. Just hoping that his abilities as an evaluator of talent and game preparation are still there. If he still "has it" and shows himself to be a more seasoned Coach in a good way, we get back to respectability fairly quickly. How fast and how far will depend on the staff and a little luck in developing a QB to lead the offense. I'm assuming because he's RE we will have a line that can block again and a defense that tackles and makes some plays. Now just show me the coaching staff and we're good.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming because he's RE we will have a line that can block again and a defense that tackles and makes some plays.
And special teams that returns punts, a coach who doesn't view an entire season as practice, knows how to properly use timeouts, how to run more than one play in the last 20 seconds of a game.

Reaction Score
Listened to the presser live during work....

Let me preface this by saying, I wasn't thrilled when Edsall was a strong candidate. I'd hoped Benedict could lure a bigger name here. I believe he tried. Edsall became the best option, realistically and financially.

I've come around to the re-hire. After listening to the press conference, I'm thrilled Edsall's back!!! He, as others have said, was genuine. His words weren't scripted or calculated. I believe he truly feels bad about the way he left. I believe it ate/eats at him. You could hear it in his voice and see it in his emotions. As I thought more about it, Edsall genuinely loved those kids. The successful season, dealing with Jasper's death, he was emotionally invested in them and the program. I believe he left the way he did, because (at the time) he couldn't look those kids in the eye to say he was leaving. It would be too difficult after all they'd been through. It was an opportunity at Maryland that he had to take and he didn't want emotions involved to dissuade him from making that decision. '''Tis easier to ask for forgiveness later, then to ask for permission, first." We've all had regret about the way we've handled a life situation. Edsall regrets the way he handled the situation. What he did, doesn't make him any less of a man. It makes him human. It takes a man to come back, face those same people, and ask for forgiveness. He didn't have to come back. It would have been easier to stay away. He wanted to come home. He wanted to face his demons and find peace with himself and his UConn football family. He wants to finish what he started here. He wants to put UConn Football on the map once again. I'm excited for UConn Football. It's time to write the next chapter and Randy's got the pen.

I'm not a season ticket holder. Work keeps me from getting to every home game. But, I've attended every home opener the last few years and sprinkle in another game or two throughout the season. I didn't plan on going to any games if Diaco was here. I had no desire to support a lost cause. With Edsall back, I'm optimistic we'll see UConn Football heading in the right direction.

Welcome a Home Coach!!!

GO HUSKIES!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members