HCBD on Weekly AAC Coach's Conference Call | Page 2 | The Boneyard

HCBD on Weekly AAC Coach's Conference Call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Listening to the tone of his voice...I would say practice may not have gone well today; and maybe he reads the BY.

Conference call was @ 11a this morning.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. CW plays like a rookie QB with happy feet. I can't blame him though - he was put behind GDL's OLs and suffered multiple concussions. I'd have happy feet too if I was used to playing in a GDL offense.
Agree. And I really don't want to pile on, but I think we all know he was prone to interceptions before coming to Storrs. It's only been one game so far, and it seems like he's learned a lesson there at least with no picks on Friday. Now he needs to master his fear of contact and step into the pocket; not back or run out of it at the first sign of pressure.

I actually think he would reduce the severity of hits by stepping into the pocket more often. It just seems logical that there would be less room for defenders to build up momentum vs. when they've got a full head of steam getting to him when he's 10 yds behind the LOS or running around. Will he get hit more often by stepping up? Probably so. But again, I think those hits will be less severe overall and it won't wreck the timing of passing plays like forced scrambling does. But what do I know, siting here on my couch. :rolleyes:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I suspect part of this exhibition season stuff is driven by his idea of cultural rewiring - better to let them focus on the success of achieving ambiguous improvement metrics than on the failure of losses vs. wins.

Reaction Score
I'm not too sure he see's these games as an exhibition. He may have a real dilemma figuring out what person at a given position gives the team the best chance to win.

Remember one of his earlier comments upon arriving was something like he couldn't tell the freshmen from the upper class players. I'm not too sure he was referencing the physical appearances.......he may also be referencing talent differentials...if any.

If I was a coach and felt there wasn't a huge advantage in the performance of the team in playing a senior over a freshman......sophomore....etc. Would I still play the athlete that may be gone in a year or two, or play someone that may be just as good talent wise and maybe 2-3 years left to play within the program, If there wasn't any disadvantage, I'd get the younger pup the repetitions and build the program up.....starting today....not next year.

Lets not forget, historically UConn's recruits were not highly sought after entities,.......

Played 20 freshmen? What other UConn coach ever took that initiative?

I trust BD.......he says the team is not that good and they have a long way to go. Maybe sending in younger players indicates there is no short or easy fix to the program. Its up to him to figure out what is best considering what he inherited, and what type of players he needs.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Agree. And I really don't want to pile on, but I think we all know he was prone to interceptions before coming to Storrs. It's only been one game so far, and it seems like he's learned a lesson there at least with no picks on Friday. Now he needs to master his fear of contact and step into the pocket; not back or run out of it at the first sign of pressure.

I actually think he would reduce the severity of hits by stepping into the pocket more often. It just seems logical that there would be less room for defenders to build up momentum vs. when they've got a full head of steam getting to him when he's 10 yds behind the LOS or running around. Will he get hit more often by stepping up? Probably so. But again, I think those hits will be less severe overall and it won't wreck the timing of passing plays like forced scrambling does. But what do I know, siting here on my couch. :rolleyes:
I think part of his problem is he's too short to see well inside the pocket, so he's constantly looking to get out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom