HCBD Loosens Media Access Policy | The Boneyard

HCBD Loosens Media Access Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
EdDaigneault9:38am via TweetDeck
Major props to UConn FB coach Bob Diaco. He said all practices will be open to media after a slightly tighter policy during fall camp.

From Fuller: >>Last but certainly not least at least in my eyes, Diaco is loosening up things for the media. It had gotten to the point where I wouldn't go to access periods because players were not made available to us. The low point for me came at the "Dog House" party which was in between my driving home from the women's basketball regional in Albany and flying to the Final Four. I showed up even though I was beyond exhausted after not getting home from Albany until 3 in the morning because I was told players were available but they were not. We ended up having six minutes of player access in the 14 practices before the spring game. Well, today came the shock of all shock when Diaco told the media that we can show up at any practice we want, stay as long as we want and have access to players (other than true freshmen). Assistant coaches will be available after Wednesday practices during the season. There will be restrictions on what we can take video of but this was a welcome change and one that should benefit the program in the long run.<<

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
I saw this also, smart move by the Coach. Maybe he's learning...

Reaction Score
Buried in a different Des piece:

>>The players report Aug. 6, and camp opens Aug. 7. Diaco said he wants to develop a camp feel through Aug.12 in which practices will not be open to the media.<<

>>Speaking of systemic changes, Diaco intends to make a big one in allowing media to attend practices from start to finish with few boundaries. That's not only unprecedented at UConn but at most FBS and FCS schools, too. "I think what we do is worth seeing on a day-to-day basis and I want to help you guys do your work." That new policy kicks in Aug. 29; it is for the regular season, not summer camp.<<

Sounds like someone is feeling more comfortable with himself(staff) and with what he sees?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is the most positive thing we've seen in a while.

Excellent news. It's good for the program, good for the fans.... and the media writers were clearly frustrated last year and they do influence people - there is no competitive edge to be gained by freezing them out. They can be a valuable ally.

Reaction Score
The thin line of course is trusting the media to tame their reports as to not give the opponents useful info. Is the media mature enough to know the difference in a good football story and giving up UConn's game day plans? Most of course are pros not wanting to poison extended access but it only takes one bad apple trying to make a name for him/her self. It's a good thing.... Diaco inviting the press in. I just hope everyone included respects that.

Reaction Score
The thin line of course is trusting the media to tame their reports as to not give the opponents useful info. Is the media mature enough to know the difference in a good football story and giving up UConn's game day plans? Most of course are pros not wanting to poison extended access but it only takes one bad apple trying to make a name for him/her self. It's a good thing.... Diaco inviting the press in. I just hope everyone included respects that.

I mean I think what you're getting at is a common sense kind of issue for the press. Likely, there could be serious repercussions with any individual reporter's credentials (and/or their employer's credentials) with the athletic department if that reporter was to write a story about gameday strategy.

I think Medic was more on the money. Last season, Diaco was not pleased with what he saw in practice, and likely believed that any reporting of the team would only drive fans away faster.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
I disagree, I think last year he was coming form the Brian Kelly meglomaniac world where whatever I say goes, don't care if you like it or not. Kelly wins, he gets away with it. Diaco didn't win last year, I think someone got in his ear and convinced him his tactics were wrong and he needs all the pub he and the team can get. Kudos to him for not being too stubborn to change. I hope it translates into changes on the field also.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This was something that needed to be done. Kudos to coach for recognizing the need for change and opening the access between fans and team. The players, to a man, are all gracious and courteous whenever I've spoken with them on the field after every spring game. Always call me "sir" (which makes me feel old, but that's a different commentary about me :)) and thank me for coming out to the game and having season tickets. I think they can handle some more media time and more events with fans without jeopardizing anything that coach wants for his team. That is, if the players want to do this. The kids who don't want to stand in front of a camera or a bunch of fans shouldn't have to.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Will @mets1090 (or was it @metsfan2323?) be allowed into practices?:D

Seriously though, one can understand how a first time coach in year 1 would lean towards tightening access when the program is in a certain amount of chaos, but last year's situation was way overboard. You can't completely insulate players, including college athletes, from the outside world and probably beat writers are one of the main avenues to hearing what's going on from the fanbase side of things, assuming the players are diligent about not going overboard on social media. Speaking of which... wondering how much this policy extends to reporters and bloggers posting to twitter /vine / etc during practice. There was a twitter situation with the MBB team recently and you know football coaches are paranoid about that kind of stuff...

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
The notion of Diaco not wanting media in practice last season because of what the media might see and not like (thus turning more fans off, and driving home the feeling that this program was doomed) is probably his reasoning. I recall him talking about how the coaching staff was basically "teaching" football basics to players last season. Maybe that was why?

Never the less, more media attention for this program is always a postitive for us fans!

Reaction Score
The notion of Diaco not wanting media in practice last season because of what the media might see and not like (thus turning more fans off, and driving home the feeling that this program was doomed) is probably his reasoning. I recall him talking about how the coaching staff was basically "teaching" football basics to players last season. Maybe that was why?

Never the less, more media attention for this program is always a postitive for us fans!

That just sounds like a crock. It' the new guy coming in and believing that the day he showed up the earth was born.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That just sounds like a crock. It' the new guy coming in and believing that the day he showed up the earth was born.
Pal,

If you knew anything about this guy you would know that he does realize (and hold in reasonably high regard) there was success here at one time in the not too distant past. It was P (who for some reason you allowed quite a bit of rope for nearly two years) who behaved as if UConn football did not exist and he was going to show the school, state and fan base what bigtime college football really was.

Reaction Score
Pal,

If you knew anything about this guy you would know that he does realize (and hold in reasonably high regard) there was success here at one time in the not too distant past. It was P (who for some reason you allowed quite a bit of rope for nearly two years) who behaved as if UConn football did not exist and he was going to show the school, state and fan base what bigtime college football really was.
I wanted P gone after the Vandy game. I support the program and the kids. And I always have hope. Look at Frank Beamer's early years at Virginia Tech. I would loved to have been wrong about P. because that would mean we were winning.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sounds like someone is feeling more comfortable with himself(staff) and with what he sees?
Or someone is over reacting to criticism of his original overly restrictive media access policies. I get a somewhat manic vibe from HCBD. Still I think it is good news as it may help to generate more positive media coverage which may in turn generate better attendance.

Reaction Score

Sounds like you need the games to start soon. You need to hit someone.....:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom