Haven't felt like this since | The Boneyard

Haven't felt like this since

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
the Whalers announced they were leaving. They never came back. Yeah, there will still be football at The Rent. In the same way there is still hockey at the XL Center. I go once in awhile and have a pretty good time. But it's not the same. It doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
the Whalers announced they were leaving. They never came back. Yeah, there will still be football at The Rent. In the same way there is still hockey at the XL Center. I go once in awhile and have a pretty good time. But it's not the same. It doesn't matter.

Good point. Nothing says big time college football like the annual UConn v Temple matchup - except now maybe the Tulane game.

Reaction Score

That's the bigger picture here. 15 years ago the State of CT decided to forego the pros and went all-in with UConn. Which is why Herbst's "I think everybody should try to keep that in mind" comment is so utterly tone deaf.

Reaction Score
That's the bigger picture here. 15 years ago the State of CT decided to forego the pros and went all-in with UConn. Which is why Herbst's "I think everybody should try to keep that in mind" comment is so utterly tone deaf.

Her comment is off base because much of those memories she refers to are with teams that are no longer in the Big East. The conference is "The Big East" in name only.

Reaction Score

This is not even close to when the Whalers left! Then, it was permanent, forever. This will continue to drag on and on and drive every last ounce of motivation out of your inner being until there is nothing left. At the end of the day there is still hope we will end up somewhere. I think the haze following our Fiesta Bowl beatdown knowing we now had no coach along with an uncertain future applies more appropriately here. At the end of the day, football will continue at some level but NHL hockey is never coming back.

Reaction Score
Her comment is off base because much of those memories she refers to are with teams that are no longer in the Big East. The conference is "The Big East" in name only.

I agree. It was a poor statement to make. We all know that UConn isn't where it is without the Big East conference, but the Big East that we should owe gratitude toward, no longer exists.

UConn football, if I'm not mistaken, is now the longest tenured Big East program that hasn't been asked to leave at least once,and the first program that was brought in as an expansion program, in the BCS era, has also left - we've moved beyond founding members leaving. Those Big East memories, are exactly that, nothing but memories now.

Reaction Score
This isn't the Whalers moving to NC (although this does give me one more reason to hate the state of North Carolina), this is more like your favorite soccer team being relegated. It sucks, but it's temporary.

Speaking of which, how great would it be if college football conferences operated in a similar relegation/promotion manner?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This isn't the Whalers moving to NC (although this does give me one more reason to hate the state of North Carolina), this is more like your favorite soccer team being relegated. It sucks, but it's temporary.

That's a great comparison. But I still feel almost as bad.

APA

Reaction Score
Connecticut never decided to forego the pros. Rowland got played by Kraft, but there was never any intent of the Pats coming to town. Connecticut never had any choice in the matter.

Reaction Score
Connecticut never decided to forego the pros. Rowland got played by Kraft, but there was never any intent of the Pats coming to town. Connecticut never had any choice in the matter.
Wasnt talking about the felon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger