Hathaway's Biggest Failure | The Boneyard

Hathaway's Biggest Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hathaway has been gone for slightly more than 12 months now. In addition to making the uninspired poor hire of coach P...he never even could raise enough money to get plans drawn up for the hoops practice facility. What Hathaway couldn't do after he ran Pendergast off and took over his job as chief fundraiser Zach Goines, Pendergast, Manuel and Herbst some what and now Calhoun have done in just over 12 months! This more than anything should prove how bad Hathaway was and how far in over his head he was! To go from basically nothing to having $24,000,000 of the $32,000,000 needed to build this facility in donations is just unbelieveable!

Reaction Score
I was rather surprised to hear they were so far along. Guess I was just used to not much progress on that front. When you point it out its obvious jh was in fact in way over his head.

Reaction Score
Hathaway had nothing but failures. total zero (maybe -1).

His decisions are like herpes....they last a long friggin time

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Hathaway has been gone for slightly more than 12 months now. In addition to making the uninspired poor hire of coach P...he never even could raise enough money to get plans drawn up for the hoops practice facility. What Hathaway couldn't do after he ran Pendergast off and took over his job as chief fundraiser Zach Goines, Pendergast, Manuel and Herbst some what and now Calhoun have done in just over 12 months! This more than anything should prove how bad Hathaway was and how far in over his head he was! To go from basically nothing to having $24,000,000 of the $32,000,000 needed to build this facility in donations is just unbelieveable!

Agreed.

I once asked Hathaway what was holding up the BB practice facility, and he rather flippantly replied, "send me a check."

Well, after donating to Coach Calhoun's legacy via the worthy cause of the Cardiology Center, I noted that www.uconnbasketballcenter.com provides for donations of $250K in support of the basketball practice facility.

Is anyone aware of a mechanism to contribute to the facility at lower levels?

Reaction Score
The main, but not the only reason Herbst fired Hathaway was for his abysmal record in fundraising. That's job #1. Second to that was his lack of true leadership skills--most of his coaches were mockingly disdainful. The terms "out of his league" or "Peter Principle" apply nicely to Jeff. Herbst getting the BBall facility funded reminds me of when NYC couldn't fix an ice rink in Central Park although working on it for several years---yet Donald Trump took over and did the job in three months. Some people are true leaders who can get things done--and cause people to move a bit more quickly when they're on the scene. No one is disdainful of Ms. Herbst.

Reaction Score
Well I heard that the main reason he was fired was that he lied to her. I was surprised that he got another AD job, but he is now at level more consistent with his ability.

U

UConn9604

Is anyone aware of a mechanism to contribute to the facility at lower levels?

Yes, when I made my annual (non-football season ticket) donation, I marked it down on my pledge card as where I'd like the funds to be earmarked.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Yes, when I made my annual (non-football season ticket) donation, I marked it down on my pledge card as where I'd like the funds to be earmarked.

Great; thanks.

Reaction Score
Well I heard that the main reason he was fired was that he lied to her. I was surprised that he got another AD job, but he is now at level more consistent with his ability.

What did he lie to her about? I love it when people get fired for lying. How can any adult in this day and age not realize it's always easier to fess up to a mistake and take your medicine than lie about it? People never get away with lying for long, and the repercussions are usually 10 fold. People don't even get fired for up nowadays, it's always the cover up.

Personally I think trying to pinpoint Hathaway's biggest failure is like trying to pinpoint a garbage dump's worst smell.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Hathaway was dead man walking once Herbst realized the chief fundraiser position was unfilled for so long. Mix in poor compliance, poor APR for hoops and he never had a chance. She doesn't around

Reaction Score
It's hard to pick a biggest failure by Hathaway.

Let's not forget he left the student section empty at the final four.

Or his horrible relationship with HOF coaches.

APR?

Caring more about his bonuses than staffing the compliance positions?

His fight with Burton?

Yeah, the BB practice facility fund raising is up there.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the empty student section was one of the worst. . . . amazing how three other schools didnt have any problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom