Hate to steal TonyC's thunder---but UConn is beginning to look.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hate to steal TonyC's thunder---but UConn is beginning to look....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
All great concerns. One of our saving graces is and will be especially in March and April, we are 8 deep right now. We have 3 great role players for Geno/Chris to move in and out depending on the game and the opponent. The difference is, our role players would be starting for almost every team we play against. Our starters will have the freshest legs they have ever had at the end of every game. This is a huge advantage that we haven't had in a very long time. We are so different than the last two years, and in some ways, we may be just as difficult to beat. And if EKmark gets healthy and can help us like Gabby, it gets worse for the opponents. We are so overly critical of our own team by definition. Then you watch Duke play So Carolina and you wonder how anyone will score 60-65 pts against us. I have become very optimistic.

I have started a bunch of posts on this thread and deleted each and every one. I just am flummoxed at what to say... Overly critical is exactly how I feel when I read these threads. Did not anyone take away anything positive from the game? It seems that even with a 34 point win against an aggressive, well coached and good team, there is nothing but doomsday written in the stars for this team if the score is close, if the defense doesn't tighten up if, if, if....

I saw a lot of improvement even after a long break, certainly this is a much improved team from the one that landed in California, especially after the first 5 minutes or so. UConn wasn't losing by any stretch, they just weren't steamrolling the other team. If things were out of hand early on, Geno would have called a time out and reigned this team in, but he doesn't do that. He wants the team to figure things out for themselves...which, they do, and that's why you see them fix the issues and gradually pull away.

In California, it seemed that after the UC game folks were elated at the performance and crowing about how good we were, etc, and then throwing the team under the bus after we lost by 2 in overtime to Stanford. Geno can't coach close games, this one can't shoot, that one is too something or other, and why aren't the freshmen getting minutes when it seems the upperclassmen cannot play, etc.

Is it...is it possible that unless this team plays an absolutely perfect 40 minutes of basketball, people will not be happy? And by absolutely perfect, that means that no UConn player misses a shot and no one from the opposing team gets any points - UConn 172, the other team zip.

What kind of fun is that? Don't forget, these teams that come to play UConn all come wanting to beat the team at the top of the heap, and has been at the top for years. At this point, I will make a note that the team at the top is.....UConn. These teams are not going to roll over easily, at least not at first, and maybe not for the full 40 minutes. And that is what makes the game interesting: how does UConn solve the problem that is this other team...

I will agree about that last play of the first half...that was a head scratcher, but I will chalk that up to a freshman zone out. We were ahead by 20 points. Had we not been ahead by much, likely Geno would have called a time out and set up a play to end the half.

What I saw was a very good DePaul team (love Doug Bruno) play out of their minds the first 5 minutes attacking the PAINT for God's sake - why would they do that? Aren't they the team that shoots nothing but 3s? I KNOW (Craig Ferguson impression).

Then I saw...some personnel changes...defensive changes..UConn went to zone and added Stokes...and things started to change, the game turned to UConn's favor and never went back. Then it became a good game to see Gabby get some good minutes and work on her game in a game situation (enough game in one sentence for you?). Stokes the terminator wasn't needed as the game was decided, why not play Gabby? Chong, who lost her starting position likely because of her lack of defense at Stanford, harassed the hell out of the DePaul guards - she was fun to watch. Now we will watch as she puts the offensive and defensive games together and whammo - a solid player and energy off the bench. Stewey played relaxed and got her shot off well, and you saw some great moves with her and Morgan working together setting screens getting free to make those shots. You saw Kaleena never stop moving, never stop working, getting steals, sinking shots, grabbing rebounds....You saw Nurse and MoJett working together in the back court - yeah, there were things that didn't go well, but that gives them something to work on at practice.

I saw a lot of good things - a lot. Every single starter and two of the subs had at least 3 assists - 3! That's amazing! In total there were 28 assists against 40 made baskets. Every single player with the exception of Tuck (which was odd, but o well) and Chong had at least 4 rebounds, and Mo was the one with "only" 4 - everyone else had at least 6 - that's an incredible effort.

And that is just a quick look at the box score. There are so many positives to take away from this game, so many, and all this for a team that lost two starters last year, two all Americans and the leaders of that championship team.

This for a team that is finding it's identity and it's voice.

I wrote a poem years ago - I think that it was Tina's senior year. It was just before the championship game, and folks on the Boneyard were wringing their hands about whether or not we could win this game..mind you, we were undefeated thus far, and as it turns out, in midst of that 90 game winning streak. We had blasted our way through the schedule that year and I was so surprised to hear folks express doubt about whether we could pull it off.

I think that the name of the poem was I believe. It was put into the Boneyard archives by someone who managed those records..I can't remember who that was.....

But it was about believing in the team, a team that had worked so hard and become so good...please note that to become so good you had to start from somewhere and that probably was a place that was not as good. But to get to that place of being "so good" they had to work hard, which is what I believe this team is now doing - working hard. And they will get there. It may not always be pretty, but I believe that you can always take something positive away from every game. Hopefully come March and April, that will be another trophy.

I believe.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I totally agree Rady, and not sure if your comments were directed at me, but I did acknowledge i was nit picking, and that's exactly what the staff does as well. We as fans can really enjoy the complete beatdown of a very solid Depaul team. But I don't think it's unfair, given that Geno and the staff look for perfection as well, to point out where the team could still improve. Now... if this were the NC game and we were still on here saying "yeah but we coulda done this better", I'd agree 100% with you. But it's mid December and there are at least 30 more games to play before UCONN hopefully gets to the NC game... ;)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I totally agree Rady, and not sure if your comments were directed at me, but I did acknowledge i was nit picking, and that's exactly what the staff does as well. We as fans can really enjoy the complete beatdown of a very solid Depaul team. But I don't think it's unfair, given that Geno and the staff look for perfection as well, to point out where the team could still improve. Now... if this were the NC game and we were still on here saying "yeah but we coulda done this better", I'd agree 100% with you. But it's mid December and there are at least 30 more games to play before UCONN hopefully gets to the NC game... ;)

It wasn't directed at anyone in particular actually, just the general feeling I get from the board...that only the bad is pointed out. There are no threads about the stats, the performances and so on that we used to see. If there are threads about the game, and not many, sadly and fortunately they are mostly negative content. No more links are posted and discussed, nothing.

I saw a bunch of posters last night, met a few new. hugged a few that I knew, so I know that the spirit of the Boneyard, as I knew it, is out there. But I wish I would see more of it on the board. These days, we see hardly anything. Even after a game like yesterday, there is no so much posted.

I used to come on the board and read the banter and laugh, read the threads discussing statistics until my head spun, and learned stuff from time to time....not so much these days. I guess the purpose of my post was to say" Hey! let's get back to what we used to do".

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
People are welcome to post their impressions, both positive and negative, as long as they do so in a civil manner. That's what we've always done on the Boneyard and what we will always do here.

Reaction Score
It wasn't directed at anyone in particular actually, just the general feeling I get from the board...that only the bad is pointed out. There are no threads about the stats, the performances and so on that we used to see. If there are threads about the game, and not many, sadly and fortunately they are mostly negative content. No more links are posted and discussed, nothing.

I saw a bunch of posters last night, met a few new. hugged a few that I knew, so I know that the spirit of the Boneyard, as I knew it, is out there. But I wish I would see more of it on the board. These days, we see hardly anything. Even after a game like yesterday, there is no so much posted.

I used to come on the board and read the banter and laugh, read the threads discussing statistics until my head spun, and learned stuff from time to time....not so much these days. I guess the purpose of my post was to say" Hey! let's get back to what we used to do".

I am very curious what thread and/or posts since yesterday game could have made you feel this way ?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
HuskyNan said:
People are welcome to post their impressions, both positive and negative, as long as they do so in a civil manner. That's what we've always done on the Boneyard and what we will always do here.

This is a very strange post... I'm assuming it was directed at me. I thought my post was very civil and polite and it was definitely my impression

Saw you at the game the other night... how come you didn't come to the boneyard meeting? that's not like you Nan

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
pvdoggy said:
I am very curious what thread and/or posts since yesterday game could have made you feel this way ?

I was posting my impression. I am on my phone now so I cannot easily go back while I write this post to check, but I think I said "as I read through these posts" so as I said to Eric, it was addressed to no one in particular.

Reaction Score
I have started a bunch of posts on this thread and deleted each and every one. I just am flummoxed at what to say... Overly critical is exactly how I feel when I read these threads. Did not anyone take away anything positive from the game? It seems that even with a 34 point win against an aggressive, well coached and good team, there is nothing but doomsday written in the stars for this team if the score is close, if the defense doesn't tighten up if, if, if....

I saw a lot of improvement even after a long break, certainly this is a much improved team from the one that landed in California, especially after the first 5 minutes or so. UConn wasn't losing by any stretch, they just weren't steamrolling the other team. If things were out of hand early on, Geno would have called a time out and reigned this team in, but he doesn't do that. He wants the team to figure things out for themselves...which, they do, and that's why you see them fix the issues and gradually pull away.

In California, it seemed that after the UC game folks were elated at the performance and crowing about how good we were, etc, and then throwing the team under the bus after we lost by 2 in overtime to Stanford. Geno can't coach close games, this one can't shoot, that one is too something or other, and why aren't the freshmen getting minutes when it seems the upperclassmen cannot play, etc.

Is it...is it possible that unless this team plays an absolutely perfect 40 minutes of basketball, people will not be happy? And by absolutely perfect, that means that no UConn player misses a shot and no one from the opposing team gets any points - UConn 172, the other team zip.

What kind of fun is that? Don't forget, these teams that come to play UConn all come wanting to beat the team at the top of the heap, and has been at the top for years. At this point, I will make a note that the team at the top is.....UConn. These teams are not going to roll over easily, at least not at first, and maybe not for the full 40 minutes. And that is what makes the game interesting: how does UConn solve the problem that is this other team...

I will agree about that last play of the first half...that was a head scratcher, but I will chalk that up to a freshman zone out. We were ahead by 20 points. Had we not been ahead by much, likely Geno would have called a time out and set up a play to end the half.

What I saw was a very good DePaul team (love Doug Bruno) play out of their minds the first 5 minutes attacking the PAINT for God's sake - why would they do that? Aren't they the team that shoots nothing but 3s? I KNOW (Craig Ferguson impression).

Then I saw...some personnel changes...defensive changes..UConn went to zone and added Stokes...and things started to change, the game turned to UConn's favor and never went back. Then it became a good game to see Gabby get some good minutes and work on her game in a game situation (enough game in one sentence for you?). Stokes the terminator wasn't needed as the game was decided, why not play Gabby? Chong, who lost her starting position likely because of her lack of defense at Stanford, harassed the hell out of the DePaul guards - she was fun to watch. Now we will watch as she puts the offensive and defensive games together and whammo - a solid player and energy off the bench. Stewey played relaxed and got her shot off well, and you saw some great moves with her and Morgan working together setting screens getting free to make those shots. You saw Kaleena never stop moving, never stop working, getting steals, sinking shots, grabbing rebounds....You saw Nurse and MoJett working together in the back court - yeah, there were things that didn't go well, but that gives them something to work on at practice.

I saw a lot of good things - a lot. Every single starter and two of the subs had at least 3 assists - 3! That's amazing! In total there were 28 assists against 40 made baskets. Every single player with the exception of Tuck (which was odd, but o well) and Chong had at least 4 rebounds, and Mo was the one with "only" 4 - everyone else had at least 6 - that's an incredible effort.

And that is just a quick look at the box score. There are so many positives to take away from this game, so many, and all this for a team that lost two starters last year, two all Americans and the leaders of that championship team.

I wrote a poem years ago - I think that it was Tina's senior year. It was just before the championship game, and folks on the Boneyard were wringing their hands about whether or not we could win this game..mind you, we were undefeated thus far, and as it turns out, in midst of that 90 game winning streak. We had blasted our way through the schedule that year and I was so surprised to hear folks express doubt about whether we could pull it off.

I think that the name of the poem was I believe. It was put into the Boneyard archives by someone who managed those records..I can't remember who that was.....

But it was about believing in the team, a team that had worked so hard and become so good...please note that to become so good you had to start from somewhere and that probably was a place that was not as good. But to get to that place of being "so good" they had to work hard, which is what I believe this team is now doing - working hard. And they will get there. It may not always be pretty, but I believe that you can always take something positive away from every game. Hopefully come March and April, that will be another trophy.

I believe.
What you said, that after the UC game, everyone was on the bandwagon and then suddenly, there was Stanford. It was shocking because they appeared to be this juggernaut but suddenly, they were something appreciably less. Well, I don't think anyone was disappointed or upset about the DePaul performance but can the Huskies sustain that type of performance consistently? I'm inclined to think that they'll continue to improve, particularly on the defensive side and that's what is important to me. You can have nights where you aren't hitting your shots and the fouls and loose balls aren't going your way but if you are consistently solid on the defensive side, you're going to win consistently. I just think that I and some others, including Geno, aren't going to be entirely satisfied until we can be sure that the defensive lapses that were evident in the Stanford game are done and gone. I'm not talking about one specific missed defensive assignment but a series of lapses or missed assignments. It seems like they've been resolved but it'll take a little longer to convince some people here. There are other people here who are on the opposite side of the spectrum and allow one overwhelming performance (DePaul) to convince themselves that UConn will win 225 games in a row by a minimum of 35 point. Sounds like how people felt before the Stanford loss, doesn't it? I'm optimistic but also not presuming that this team is a finished product. I will be more comfortable when I see the defense show the consistency that UConn teams have shown over the last decade or so and they appear to be heading that way. I just need a couple more examples of them playing that type defense when they play quality opponents. I do like the fact that some of the players I thought would be contributing before the season started are seemingly going well. Morgan and Kia are two, in particular that have really impressed as has Gabby Williams. Will Ekmark show herself when she's able to get back on the court? I'm really hopeful.

Reaction Score
What you said, that after the UC game, everyone was on the bandwagon and then suddenly, there was Stanford. It was shocking because they appeared to be this juggernaut but suddenly, they were something appreciably less. Well, I don't think anyone was disappointed or upset about the DePaul performance but can the Huskies sustain that type of performance consistently? I'm inclined to think that they'll continue to improve, particularly on the defensive side and that's what is important to me. You can have nights where you aren't hitting your shots and the fouls and loose balls aren't going your way but if you are consistently solid on the defensive side, you're going to win consistently. I just think that I and some others, including Geno, aren't going to be entirely satisfied until we can be sure that the defensive lapses that were evident in the Stanford game are done and gone. I'm not talking about one specific missed defensive assignment but a series of lapses or missed assignments. It seems like they've been resolved but it'll take a little longer to convince some people here. There are other people here who are on the opposite side of the spectrum and allow one overwhelming performance (DePaul) to convince themselves that UConn will win 225 games in a row by a minimum of 35 point. Sounds like how people felt before the Stanford loss, doesn't it? I'm optimistic but also not presuming that this team is a finished product. I will be more comfortable when I see the defense show the consistency that UConn teams have shown over the last decade or so and they appear to be heading that way. I just need a couple more examples of them playing that type defense when they play quality opponents. I do like the fact that some of the players I thought would be contributing before the season started are seemingly going well. Morgan and Kia are two, in particular that have really impressed as has Gabby Williams. Will Ekmark show herself when she's able to get back on the court? I'm really hopeful.

I'm just as "concerned" (not really "concerned" but more like "can't wait to watch both offense and defense to continue to grow) with the offense - I think both offense and defense are doing fine right now for so early with a lot more growth for us to witness. But with a more efficient offense you limit the opposing team from getting out on the break which will more than often lead to open shots.

Geno had said on his 9:30 show Stewie can't do it all. he was referring to that Stanford game- she needed help offensively too of which Chong and Nurse gave some but it was just the three for offense and we know Chong struggled defensively and Nurse fouled out. But we saw some fantastic execution vs DePaul - get more players offensively in the game imo it can help the defense. Tuck and Stewie looked beautiful. That was exciting to see.

It was also exciting to see Nurse drill 3's - her shot was a question. What I like is she missed two straight and didn't hesitate to take number 3. She doesn't play scared. That's exciting to watch for a frosh.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This is a very strange post... I'm assuming it was directed at me. I thought my post was very civil and polite and it was definitely my impression

Saw you at the game the other night... how come you didn't come to the boneyard meeting? that's not like you Nan
Your post was indeed polite. It did seem to me that you would prefer people not post negative threads and you've made similar comments in the past. However, this is a discussion board, not a cheerleading board, so people should feel comfortable expressing themselves, no matter their opinion, as long as they're civil and I want to be sure that people understand that.

I was with non-Boneyarder friends the other night and didn't want to abandon them since my husband and I don't get to see them as much as we'd like these days.

Reaction Score

I believe.

I believe.
Very well put. In my short time in Boneyard I have noticed a great deal of doubt, pessimism and criticism along with outstanding comments about a WBB program that will be remembered as the GREATEST EVER. A few decades from now we will be looking back and calling these days " THE GOOD OLD DAYS".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Your post was indeed polite. It did seem to me that you would prefer people not post negative threads and you've made similar comments in the past. However, this is a discussion board, not a cheerleading board, so people should feel comfortable expressing themselves, no matter their opinion, as long as they're civil and I want to be sure that people understand that.

Very well put. In my short time in Boneyard I have noticed a great deal of doubt, pessimism and criticism along with outstanding comments about a WBB program that will be remembered as the GREATEST EVER.
I guess people ARE starting to see this site as a negative, pessimistic place Nan. Doesn't seem like a good thing to me.

I was with non-Boneyarder friends the other night and didn't want to abandon them since my husband and I don't get to see them as much as we'd like these days.
What!? You have friends outside the BY? WTH? I suppose next you're gonna say you have a "family" and a "real life". :rolleyes:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I guess people ARE starting to see this site as a negative, pessimistic place Nan. Doesn't seem like a good thing to me.

What!? You have friends outside the BY? WTH? I suppose next you're gonna say you have a "family" and a "real life". :rolleyes:
There are lots of positive threads, too. But I have to say, things like "Saniya's defense isn't there yet" isn't negative; it's discussing the players and their strengths and weaknesses. But I do understand there are folks that would rather not read that type of comment. They could skip those threads or put posters on ignore, perhaps that would help.

Yep, my friends were fellow marching band parents. My son, now a senior, is done with marching band - forever, unless he does it in college. But as close as the kids got to one another, and they're a tight bunch, we parents got just as close. The couple that were with us have a daughter in the band and she dated my son. They've broke up but are still friends. I'm good buds with the mom.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There are lots of positive threads, too.
I think the point is that there are less and less of them, and more and more of the pessimistic threads. Making this more and more a negative/pessimistic board. Just a lot of people would rather have a more optimistic board. Especially since UCONN is the reigning NC and is looking really good this year too. I mean what would this place look like if we had a 25-10 season? :eek:

But I do understand there are folks that would rather not read that type of comment. They could skip those threads or put posters on ignore, perhaps that would help.
Nah, only wussy people put people on ignore. (Stupidest thing eva, if you ask me. If you can't deal with a few on-line idiots (or just people you disagree with), you have some major real life problems. But to each their own.)

Yep, my friends were fellow marching band parents. My son, now a senior, is done with marching band - forever, unless he does it in college. But as close as the kids got to one another, and they're a tight bunch, we parents got just as close. The couple that were with us have a daughter in the band and she dated my son. They've broke up but are still friends. I'm good buds with the mom.
I dated at least a half a dozen girls when I was in band. (ah youth :cool:)

You just have to make sure your "real life" doesn't interfere with the BY. ;)

Reaction Score
One thing Stanford had going for them was size. UConn hasn't played a big
team since the Stanford game.

I will be very interested to see how UConn performs against Duke.[/QUOit TE]

It will be interesting for 8 minutes or so.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think the point is that there are less and less of them, and more and more of the pessimistic threads. Making this more and more a negative/pessimistic board. Just a lot of people would rather have a more optimistic board. Especially since UCONN is the reigning NC and is looking really good this year too. I mean what would this place look like if we had a 25-10 season? :eek:
I guess it's a matter of perception. I don't see pessimism but I am aware that there are more posts critical of the team or players. That's OK, too, as long as we don't bash one another when disagreeing.

If people want more optimistic threads, why not start some? Or, politely disagree with the critics - maybe change their opinion and turn them back from the dark side?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I have a few ideas on what this place would look like :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
MEYERS SAYS:

MEYER: Sounds like they passed you around like a hot, errrr, make that cold, potato. Picture you as a piccolo player?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
winlots said:
MEYERS SAYS: I dated at least a half a dozen girls when I was in band. (ah youth :cool:) MEYER: Sounds like they passed you around like a hot, errrr, make that cold, potato. Picture you as a piccolo player?

LOL

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am puzzled by the trend lately for a few posters to pine for a more positive, upbeat past on the Boneyard and for negativity to be directed at those who offend conventional wisdom about the team or team members. The best fan is a fan of the game as well as the team and has the ability to comment critically on areas of performance. I remember a time when we did have lively discussions about the capabilities of our players and that did not lead to recriminations - this goes back years and years. Doug Bruno post game referenced the KML is still working herself back into prime KML condition; had that been posted here I suspect several posters would attack him, decrying his lack of understanding of body type, etc. Negative "straw men" have been set up and then a great deal of self righteous pontificating generated over such nonissues. I don't see the Boneyard as trending to negativity at all.

Reaction Score

Very well put. I think there are some of us on this board who are fully supportive of the team and yet, feel that there is such a thing as constructive criticism. There are weaknesses and flaws, though minute, and there is the search for perfection on every play. That's what Geno has the team striving for and to suggest that one good play or one good game means that we are unbeatable isn't reality. That's why Geno gets so excited or upset with a player, even in a 40 point runaway victory. You want to continually compete at a high level and play error free ALWAYS though that is an unattainable goal. That's what has made him a 9 time NCAA champion and that is what will probably make this team an NCAA champion in early April.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
HuskyNan said:
I guess it's a matter of perception. I don't see pessimism but I am aware that there are more posts critical of the team or players. That's OK, too, as long as we don't bash one another when disagreeing.

If people want more optimistic threads, why not start some? Or, politely disagree with the critics - maybe change their opinion and turn them back from the dark side?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
MEYERS SAYS:

MEYER: Sounds like they passed you around like a hot, errrr, make that cold, potato. Picture you as a piccolo player?
I dated a piccolo/flute player. A couple sax players. A couple french horn players. A baritone player. A couple flag/rifle girls. Don't think I ever dated a clarinet player though, ugh.

This one time at band camp....:eek:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well take this thread for instance. OP put up a pretty good, optimistic post. First responder quickly started in on what was wrong with the first 10 minutes. Just seems like a lot of negativity out there. Which is ok. People can be positive or negative,I really don't care. But I think it should be ok to point out how silly (or unrealistic) it is to always point out the negatives of such a good team. Especially when the negatives pale in comparison to the greatness of this team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well take this thread for instance. OP put up a pretty good, optimistic post. First responder quickly started in on what was wrong with the first 10 minutes. Just seems like a lot of negativity out there. Which is ok. People can be positive or negative,I really don't care. But I think it should be ok to point out how silly (or unrealistic) it is to always point out the negatives of such a good team. Especially when the negatives pale in comparison to the greatness of this team.
Of course it's OK to point out that you disagree. As long as folks aren't insulting to one another, the back and forth of such discussions can be really interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom