Has UConn lobbied the SEC? | The Boneyard

Has UConn lobbied the SEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just curious if any evidence of this.

Yes, I know it would have a very very slim chance, but when you're grasping for straws you gotta try every possible avenue.

And here's what UConn has to offer:

1) The SEC has few expansion options. With no interest in grabbing schools in existing markets, the SEC does not have a lot of choices. The lower half of the ACC, Kansas/KSt, and Cinci are already covered territory. That leaves: UNC/NC St, Va/VT, TCU/Bay, Ok/Ok St, and a northeastern team. I cannot see Texas & the SEC ever agreeing. And with the ACC schools locked up for 20 years, the options are fewer.
2) The SEC needs stronger basketball. The SEC is the strongest FB but the weakest in BB. Yes, FB drives the bus, but adding more FB powers does little to help the conference, and could even lead to cannibalization. BB is where it's leaving money on the table. And .... what if ... what if CTE blows up? Could FB decline the way Boxing has? Unlikely, but nonetheless any good business has diverse revenue streams.
3) The SEC has limited penetration in major markets. Yes, the conference does well because it's an overall strong brand, but not a single top 5 TV market is a home market for the SEC. How much better could the conference do if it could make greater inroads in NYC?

Yes a longshot, but can't leave any stone unturned here.

Reactions: pj

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
So, football and concussions has become a concern.
I think we also need to look into CR syndrome and the trauma it has wreaked among the fanbases of certain long suffering institutions.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I'm holding out hope for PAC12

AFC South looks promising. With having teams in Texas and Florida, adding UConn would put the AFC South in three of the largest markets in the country. They could plant a flag right in the middle of AFC East territory, splitting the New York Jets/Buffalo Bills/ New England Patriots trifecta. Since the AFC South is already spread out geographically, adding the distance to Conneticutt wouldn't be that big of an issue. Another point in favor: they would continue the blue uniform theme of the division. I say set up an audition year, 2017 or 2018 and let them prove themselves.

Points against? Bringing in an animal as a mascot would upset the balance between the animal and non animal mascot. That and they are not a professional team.

Reaction Score
Ida Claire

Ida Claire is the patron saint of southern surprises.

Ida Claire, I never saw that one coming.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Ida Claire

Ida Claire is the patron saint of southern surprises.

Ida Claire, I never saw that one coming.

Gee willikers, Deputy Fife, that was a good one.

46942578.jpg

Reaction Score
This thread is inspiring.

I'm going to lobby Jasmine Sanders, here's what I have to offer:

1) Few expansion options. I already have children, don't worry Jasmine, I won't ruin that beautiful body with the destructive nature of childbirth.

2) ?

3) Profit.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I mean, who's to say? Maybe the PAC would like to upgrade their Husky from Washington to UConn.

pj

Reaction Score
Makes sense @vowelguy, but who would be the partner? Oklahoma I presume? That means it's delayed to 2025. So even if the SEC & ESPN have this as a plan, UConn would need to survive the remaining 9 years in the AAC or B12.

Reaction Score
We have a more likely chance of ending up in the Ivy League.

Reaction Score
We have a more likely chance of ending up in the Ivy League.

Not with our endowment. Besides Yale would black ball UConn ( just like you know who) so they could be CT's Team.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Not with our endowment. Besides Yale would black ball UConn ( just like you know who) so they could be CT's Team.
I guess you haven't heard... suck it Yale!

Reaction Score
I guess you haven't heard... suck it Yale!

I think it goes without saying that we'd also be the best football program in Mass, VT, NH, and Maine.

That's a pretty big chunk of real estate, and an awful lot of eyeballs.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Who won for Massachusetts? Would be the only win for BCU in the past eleven months if they won.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I think it goes without saying that we'd also be the best football program in Mass, VT, NH, and Maine.

And RI, and NY and NJ.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

And RI, and NY and NJ.

Are you running a power spread? I don't know if you can own NJ football without it. Rutgers seems to think it will make them great!

I will say this about Rutgers, they are really trying to start pump them selves up. There have been several articles, blog posts and commentaries from various sources implying that Rutgers is starting something special. They tried to manufacture a rivalry with Michigan taking so many NJ recruits. The snuggling up with Urban Meyer and Ohio State is hilarious.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
UConn hasn't lobbied anything. The American is the best conference in the nation and the conference UConn will be proud to continue winning national championships in at the same rate it has thus far historically ™.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom