Has Diamond D. been granted her release by UNC? | The Boneyard

Has Diamond D. been granted her release by UNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So DD is transferring, but has she been granted her release by UNC? As Leticia Romero (Kansas State) discovered it is not necessarily an automatic issue. Do we know if UNC has released Diamond from her LOI?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The release allows an athlete to go to another school on scholarship even during the year she (or he) is required to sit out. Without the release she can still go anywhere, but has to pay her way for that first year. And the release has no effect on the sit out year, nor I believe the two year sit out within conference.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I would assume from the wording of the original report that UNC has or will. Whether they restrict it or not is another issue, but I suspect not. There is also the possibility raised elsewhere that she may go pro overseas.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I would assume from the wording of the original report that UNC has or will. Whether they restrict it or not is another issue, but I suspect not. There is also the possibility raised elsewhere that she may go pro overseas.

I don't see the pro angle at all. Her family has tons of money. Delino made $30million playing baseball in salary alone.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I don't see the pro angle at all. Her family has tons of money. Delino made $30million playing baseball in salary alone.

She wouldn't be going to Europe for the cash, she'd be going for the freedom from the NCAA regulations.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
She'd get paid in Europe and give up her NCAA eligibility but she could still go into the WNBA draft when qualified.

Reaction Score
ESPNW mentioned Tennessee as a possible transfer school since her mother was an athlete there. No other schools were mentioned.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The release allows an athlete to go to another school on scholarship even during the year she (or he) is required to sit out. Without the release she can still go anywhere, but has to pay her way for that first year. And the release has no effect on the sit out year, nor I believe the two year sit out within conference.
IIRC, not all conferences require the additional year if you transfer to another school within the conference. The Big East did require it; I'm not sure which other conferences do.

Reaction Score
IIRC, not all conferences require the additional year if you transfer to another school within the conference. The Big East did require it; I'm not sure which other conferences do.

The ACC penalty for a transfer within conference is a "sit one lose one" penalty. Meaning she must sit out one year while not on scholarship and she loses one year of eligibility. Here is a pdf I found explaining it in detail.

http://compliance.pac-10.org/ccacaitems/surveys/ictransfers.pdf

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Seems to me that she wants to play pro, not college, ball. If she left NC in April, it is before finals. As a University Prof for many years, I have seen literally hundreds of students just get up and leave, at any point. College was not for them. I think is is at least a possibility.

Perhaps a few weeks away will add perspective. She is young, and mind changes are allowed. I clearly remember what an ill informed, clumsy doofOZ I was at that age.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I thought the pro angle was a possibility too, but Nan said it looked like Tennessee based on multiple reports..... unless there are any new developments (I haven't checked the News thread in a few days)

Reaction Score
Will this count against the APR score for UNC? Serious question...not trying to start any bashting. But after UConn's penalty, makes me think this is the kind of thing that will hurt UNC's APR.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I thought the pro angle was a possibility too, but Nan said it looked like Tennessee based on multiple reports..... unless there are any new developments (I haven't checked the News thread in a few days)

IAC, she has to sit for a year and remain free of pro compensation, and if she is at a University, establish academic eligibility. If she is not at a University, and is not in any sense a part of a team, other obvious issues ensue.

Reaction Score
Will this count against the APR score for UNC? Serious question...not trying to start any bashting. But after UConn's penalty, makes me think this is the kind of thing that will hurt UNC's APR.

If she is academically eligible at the end of the semester and has a GPA above 2.5, then there is no impact. If she is eligible but has a low GPA, then UNC loses 1 point (out of a team total of about 52 for the year). If she is not academically eligible when she leaves then 2 points are lost. For a program to get into major trouble, it has to lose almost 20 points over a rolling 4-year period.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure of that - sounded as if Sylvia knew nothing until the news broke and that she was at the team dinner the night before. I would say the process has just begun.
Also ... I believe the NCAA is pretty clear that coaches and schools cannot make contact with a player from another school for any reason while they are enrolled at the other school or unless they have permission to be in contact. And it doesn't matter if the player initiates contact or not. So I don't thick DD has any idea where she will be going yet - she may assume any school will be thrilled to get her, but I suspect that is not the case.
I am trying to remember how things worked for the Uconn player who transferred to St Johns, but I believe Uconn granted the release within the conference and that allowed her to only sit one year instead of the two mandated by the BE. The one year I believe is NCAA mandated and is only lifted for dire personal reasons - the one instance I remember was because of a dying relative and specific to a transfer to the local school.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
If anyone is advising her to go into prof. ball directly after her freshamn year, thet are not being wise on so many levels. No one is going to hire a kid who was homesick over a few hundred miles....

Im hoping she sticks to college ball.... And gets an education. Wbball is not a money pot... Gotta plan beyond 32yrs old....

Reaction Score
Nan, I hope you can help with my confusion. I was always under the impression that transferring meant that the player had to sit out one year " according to ncaa rules, regardless where they tranferred to even if given a release by their original school ? Now, if the student pays for school that one transfer season, they would be able to play ? This would also be contingent on league rules ?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, I hope you can help with my confusion. I was always under the impression that transferring meant that the player had to sit out one year " according to ncaa rules, regardless where they tranferred to even if given a release by their original school ? Now, if the student pays for school that one transfer season, they would be able to play ? This would also be contingent on league rules ?
If a player transfers to another school, the NCAA mandates that she sit out one year. Some, but not all, conferences tack on another year if the player transfers within the conference, therefore the player would have to sit out two years in certain circumstances. A coach can release the player unconditionally and therefore waive the second year, as Geno did when Kia Wright left UConn to go to St. John's (the NYC kid was very homesick).

If a girl is granted a release, she sits out the NCAA mandated year but is on scholarship and can practice with the team. If she is not granted a release, she may leave the school but must sit out the year without a scholarship. I'm not sure what happens to the second year if she transfers within a conference - I think each conference has its own rules.

As far as I know, current rules only allow students whose schools have received the death penalty to transfer to another Div I school and play immediately (I could be wrong on this, though). If a player goes to a Div II or III school, she can play right away. The NCAA is contemplating a hardship exception but it isn't in effect yet.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I clearly remember what an ill informed, clumsy doofOZ I was at that age.

It is comforting to know that you successfully overcame that phase in your life. Regrettably, there remain some of us who cannot justify making the same claim.

(Don't everybody jump up at once!)

intlzncster

Reaction Score

After the UCONN 'example', no major school will fall afoul of the APR ever again. It is an accounting measure. It won't even be relevant, as departments will be sure to collect the necessary points.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not sure of that - sounded as if Sylvia knew nothing until the news broke and that she was at the team dinner the night before. I would say the process has just begun.
Also ... I believe the NCAA is pretty clear that coaches and schools cannot make contact with a player from another school for any reason while they are enrolled at the other school or unless they have permission to be in contact. And it doesn't matter if the player initiates contact or not. So I don't thick DD has any idea where she will be going yet - she may assume any school will be thrilled to get her, but I suspect that is not the case.
I am trying to remember how things worked for the Uconn player who transferred to St Johns, but I believe Uconn granted the release within the conference and that allowed her to only sit one year instead of the two mandated by the BE. The one year I believe is NCAA mandated and is only lifted for dire personal reasons - the one instance I remember was because of a dying relative and specific to a transfer to the local school.

I thought a kid is allowed to contact other schools when she leaves the school and decides to transfer, either herself or an intermediary (?). Other schools cannot initiate contact though. Maybe the current school has to give permission idr. Has Diamond even left the Chapel Hill campus?

I don't agree with the bold. Any school in America would be absolutely thrilled to have her. I think this board's bias is getting in the way of reality here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom