Hartford: Dillon Stadium NASL? | The Boneyard

Hartford: Dillon Stadium NASL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One question, can Hartford get the funds to upgrade Dillon (PS, where will the Hartford high schools play football as I think they all use Dillon) and build a new AA baseball park at the same time?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
One question, can Hartford get the funds to upgrade Dillon (PS, where will the Hartford high schools play football as I think they all use Dillon) and build a new AA baseball park at the same time?
If you wanna add to that, rumor is that the findings on what to do with the XL Center will be released within a week. So the bigger question is can Hartford convince taxpayers to help build the Minor League stadium AND possibly a new XL Center?? I'd have to imagine that unless someone privately builds or forks over the cash to upgrade Dillon, this idea is dead in the water. It's a shame too.

Dunno why they wouldn't look into using the Rent for games. It's not like they're bringing in any other forms of income outside of UConn games

Reaction Score
If you wanna add to that, rumor is that the findings on what to do with the XL Center will be released within a week. So the bigger question is can Hartford convince taxpayers to help build the Minor League stadium AND possibly a new XL Center?? I'd have to imagine that unless someone privately builds or forks over the cash to upgrade Dillon, this idea is dead in the water. It's a shame too.

Dunno why they wouldn't look into using the Rent for games. It's not like they're bringing in any other forms of income outside of UConn games

Because for some reason the Rent charges 100k an event.

NASL is 15-16 events a year, plus playoffs if the qualifies and maybe a U.S. Open Cup match or two.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Because for some reason the Rent charges 100k an event.

NASL is 15-16 events a year, plus playoffs if the qualifies and maybe a U.S. Open Cup match or two.
Ridiculous. You'd think they'd want some extra income and would work something out. Guess that makes too much sense? Then again, I don't know what operating costs are so not sure if they'd even break even or make money on a NASL team.

Reaction Score
... I don't know what operating costs are so not sure if they'd even break even or make money on a NASL team.
Ding, ding, ding ... perhaps you're on to something reasonable. As you suggest, breaking even may not be such a ridiculous consideration.

Reaction Score
Ding, ding, ding ... perhaps you're on to something reasonable. As you suggest, breaking even may not be such a ridiculous consideration.

Break even at the Rent? Nope. Break even at Dillon? That could happen. I don't even think they would need to renovate for NASL, although it wouldn't be a bad idea for general purposes. Fort Lauderdale plays in that Lockhart Stadium dump and they do alright.

Reaction Score
They've been setting aside funds for a replaced Dillon Stadium for some time now.

It wouldn't be dead in the water anyways though they would just push it through the council, just like the ballpark.

Additionally any market that outdrew the Boston Bruins 4 separate seasons and was once the 3rd highest grossing franchise in the NHL is not "minor league".

Reaction Score
Ballpark, new Dillon and a solution for the XLC will ALL become reality.

Reaction Score
Additionally any market that outdrew the Boston Bruins 4 separate seasons and was once the 3rd highest grossing franchise in the NHL is not "minor league".
Yup, major league is absolutely symbolized by no NFL, NBA, MLB, or even an NHL or MLS franchise. And, 2 decades of smart sports marketing analysts and affluent investors finding insufficient reasons to to establish an NHL franchise. Barring a shocking allocation of minimal state funding for a 2020- competitive arena to support UCONN or some investors deciding to chase a hockey folly, it's unlikely NHL hockey returns to the one-time Insurance City or in Hartford County.

On the other hand, AA baseball, AHL hockey, and a possible NASL franchise are more reasonable considerations for a small, low populated, regional city still suffering from long-term suburban flight and ongoing major corporate departures. I grew up from a very young age playing hockey in the state's true hockey base, still enjoy the sport, and absolutely support UCONN's upgrade. On the other hand, most reasonable people remain realistic about NHL hockey in the minor league, regional city Hartford is in 2015.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
AA Baseball? Is the juice really worth the squeeze?

I'd rather see UConn Hockey get the attention than bring in an NHL team.

Reaction Score
AA Baseball? Is the juice really worth the squeeze?

I'd rather see UConn Hockey get the attention than bring in an NHL team.

For a city/business perspective, AA Eastern League baseball, which averages about 4,300 fans per game, compliments UConn Basketball/Hockey and AHL events at the XL as it would bring people downtown during a time when the XL's primary sports are in their off-season. The only competing overlap could be concerts with XL, the baseball stadium and the Meadows all as potential summer tour venues. The UConn football at the Rent only overlaps with the very tail end of the AA season and playoffs, plus that venue does not draw many people into downtown Hartford and E Hartford residents (and P&W) have made it clear they don't want concerts at the Rent.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I'm actually really excited for the new stadium downtown. I love Rock Cat games and can't wait to bring my daughters to their first game next season. However, I think the idea of the games being downtown and being able to walk to a restaurant or get a drink after is awesome. Plus the Hooker brewery downtown is gonna be great! Between that and City Steam, it's gonna be a great time.

While I'd love to see them re-do Dillon stadium, it's gonna be outside of the downtown section of Hartford so I don't see the draw as much as I do the new baseball stadium. NASL soccer might be fun for all I know and I'd probably go to a game or two. However, I will definitely be going to Rock Cat, or whatever they'll be called, games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
E Hartford residents (and P&W) have made it clear they don't want concerts at the Rent.

They have? I knew there was some grousing after the first one, but not much after. I think the issue is more the lack of bands that could fill the place.

Reaction Score
They have? I knew there was some grousing after the first one, but not much after. I think the issue is more the lack of bands that could fill the place.

Fair point, plus I forgot the Meadows will/does complete for the same market.

Reaction Score
I think the idea of the games being downtown and being able to walk to a restaurant or get a drink after is awesome. Plus the Hooker brewery downtown is gonna be great!

Columbus, OH has the set up you're describing. I used to travel there for work a lot, and stay downtown. Baseball stadium was walking distance form the hotel, right next to Nationewide Arena (NHL - Blue Jackets) in the Arena District. Walking distance to tons of great bars, restaurants, hotels, etc... During summer months we'd hit up Columbus Clippers games (AAA Indians affiliate), and in winter we'd catch a Blue Jackets game. then go eat or go to bars. never once had to get in a car or catch a cab. It's a great city planning model to entice and keep people downtown for events. awould love it if Hartford could somehow emulate that experience. Would do wonders for downtown businesses (games, concerts, festivals, etc... year round draw for people to come downtown).

Reaction Score
Columbus, OH has the set up you're describing. I used to travel there for work a lot, and stay downtown. Baseball stadium was walking distance form the hotel, right next to Nationewide Arena (NHL - Blue Jackets) in the Arena District. Walking distance to tons of great bars, restaurants, hotels, etc... During summer months we'd hit up Columbus Clippers games (AAA Indians affiliate), and in winter we'd catch a Blue Jackets game. then go eat or go to bars. never once had to get in a car or catch a cab. It's a great city planning model to entice and keep people downtown for events. awould love it if Hartford could somehow emulate that experience. Would do wonders for downtown businesses (games, concerts, festivals, etc... year round draw for people to come downtown).

That's a good set up. Hartford could use an entertainment district like that, that incorporates multiple stadiums, restaurants, theaters etc.

Reaction Score
I decided to check out this board, and couldn't resist posting my town. UConn knows the way here :)

maxresdefault.jpg

Reaction Score
So NASL took over the Atlanta club. It wouldn't surprise me if they move that club to somewhere in 2016 or 2017. Also saw something on twitter that said something like www.HartfordNASL2017.com or something like that.. Don't actually click on it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom