Harper out at NC State | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Harper out at NC State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why does CD always come up anytime there is an opening?

Because she's a long-time assistant at one of the few elite programs. If she were interested, she could get almost any job she wanted. Fortunately, she's not interested in 99.9% of them. :)

Reaction Score
UConn just wouldn't be the same without CD -- there's just so much to the chemistry between Geno & CD -- I hope and pray she always stays there and never leaves to go anywhere.

Reaction Score
vowelguy said:
Because she's a long-time assistant at one of the few elite programs. If she were interested, she could get almost any job she wanted. Fortunately, she's not interested in 99.9% of them. :)

Which .1% program do you think she would consider? Duke perhaps? Geno's new contract extension virtually guarantees he'll be here for life if not longer.

Reaction Score
I should've said "99.9% at minimum". :)
Given ~330 D-1 programs, 0.1% amounts to 0.33 program.

If any, I think Rutgers is possible.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
IMO: I think we would have lost CD The Elder to her alma mater [Rutgers] if C. Viv had not accepted that head coaching job
in 1996[?]. I happened to be in Iowa when Stringer was wavering some about the decision to take the Rutgers job or stay at Iowa.
My impression was that she delayed a bit...and then delayed some more. At some point I think I have read that CD withdrew her name due to her recruiting responsibilities at UConn.

I picture Geno and CD riding off in the sunset together at some point....the heck with 2018 though....let's make it 2023.
I could see Geno doing his restaurant gigs and doing some TV analysis with CD taking some kind of consultant role with minimal travel in the WNBA.

Best #1 in the land....best #1A in the land....his best recruit ever.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
IMHO this was probably a wise decision for NC State. Kellie over three years has proven that she can't recruit at the level of Duke or UNC. If NC State has any chance of getting in the Top 4/5 of the ACC, they have to win a couple of the recruiting wars against Duke & UNC. Last year, NC State did not have a recruiting class ranked in the Top 25 and 7 other ACC teams did.

Now the question is, the can hire a Coach that will be able to win a couple of the recruiting wars. If I'm NC State I go after Rick Insell of MTSU who has proven he can win and has the AAU contacts that should enable him to be successful in recruiting. If you can't get him go after one of his children. Matt is an assistant coach at Kentucky and might be the best choice after his father.

In the past three years........ only a couple of coaches have recruited at the level of Duke...... and only a few more at the level of UNC.... but I see your point. State has usually gotten a few of the top in-state recruits over UNC.... but surprising to me, Harper failed to make much headway in terms of top in-state talent. Hopefully the next coach can return NC State to at least a consistent upper division position in the league. They have a loyal fanbase.. and the ACC tournament is always more exciting when State is competitive.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not sure (personally) how good a coach she is, but I lean toward the positive. Perhaps the odds were stacked against her at State, following a legend and all that, and I don't follow closely enough to know her strengths and weaknesses as a coach - perhaps she isn't a program "rebuilder" but could do quite nicely with an existing program.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why does CD always come up anytime there is an opening?

Real reason: We are the Husky "glass half full" Nation. We need things to chew on and worry in order to feel we have purpose!

Reaction Score
IMO: I think we would have lost CD The Elder to her alma mater [Rutgers] if C. Viv had not accepted that head coaching job
in 1996[?]. I happened to be in Iowa when Stringer was wavering some about the decision to take the Rutgers job or stay at Iowa.
My impression was that she delayed a bit...and then delayed some more. At some point I think I have read that CD withdrew her name due to her recruiting responsibilities at UConn.

I picture Geno and CD riding off in the sunset together at some point....the heck with 2018 though....let's make it 2023.
I could see Geno doing his restaurant gigs and doing some TV analysis with CD taking some kind of consultant role with minimal travel in the WNBA.

Best #1 in the land....best #1A in the land....his best recruit ever.

Well, I quite like the analogy of Geno & CD riding off in the sunset together :p

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think not only did Harper have an extra target on her back, but I sorta feel like she was the "stalking horse." She took the program through the transition post-Kay, and it was a messy one (unlike UTenn). Whoever comes in will have SUCH an easier job without the drama of YowGlance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom