Hard-hitting JPMcCallie Postgame press conference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hard-hitting JPMcCallie Postgame press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
She said Jefferson hit some wide open 3s that her grandmother could have made.
That wasn't a quip. JPM's grandma is currently knocking'em down from behind the arc at a 56.4% rate, even when closely guarded like in this Elders league action. She still has some college eligibility left so Geno might want to try recruiting her since she's let it be known how she doesn't like how her own coach throws her players under the Seniors Ride bus after a tough loss.

Two-old-ladies-playing-basketball.jpg

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
"Maybe the DUKE AD and the Administration will give her the boot after this season and ring in a real coach.....Boy, the have talent."

If I'm the AD at Duke, i certainly would start looking real hard at JPM and her staff...

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
UCONN practices and plays harder than 100% of the other WCBB teams in the country, every year, every day.
'
It has always been a puzzle to me why other women's college basketball coaches are incapable of motivating and coaching their players the way Geno and his assistants do. Someone I know always asserts that it's simply because of the talent UConn recruits and that the coaches have little or nothing to do about it. Well, we know that's ridiculous because plenty of other top high school players go to other top schools. And we've all seen how Geno has molded the talent of some good high school players into outstanding players in college. Stef Dolson is a perfect example. Consider Elizabeth Williams. I was not terribly surprised last night when one of the announcers said that Williams had reached all of 13 points, the most she'd ever scored against UConn. She wound up with 15.

Reaction Score
She said Jefferson hit some wide open 3s that her grandmother could have made.
Any idea if her grandmother has any eligibility left? Sounds like Duke could use a couple shooters. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Any idea if her grandmother has any eligibility left? Sounds like Duke could use a couple shooters. :rolleyes:
One of the reporters did ask her if her grandmother was a good shooter, and Coach McCallie said yes, so maybe she could help the team out.

Reaction Score
If Geno had lost four games by January to Top 10 teams, is there anybody here who really thinks his post game conference would be any different? She was gracious to her opponents and hard on her players; sounds like what a coach normally does to motivate a young team. Sounds like what Geno does every time he talks to the press. After all, Duke dodged a bullet in the first half, taking advantage of Nurse's foul trouble, and was only behind by eight in the first half. Was she a great coach in the first half, but a terrible one in the second? Don't fans, even the most passionate ones, also need to be gracious in victory? These are not well paid millionaires we are watching.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That wasn't a quip. JPM's grandma is currently knocking'em down from behind the arc at a 56.4% rate, even when closely guarded like in this Elders league action. She still has some college eligibility left so Geno might want to try recruiting her since she's let it be known how she doesn't like how her own coach throws her players under the Seniors Ride bus after a tough loss.

Two-old-ladies-playing-basketball.jpg

Right now her husband is wondering where his favorite red, white and blue boxers are.

I think what JPM says isn't horrible, it is the way that she says it. Geno might say the same thing, but then he would say so that's something that I have to work on. It's the missing second part that make JPM seem so small.

Props to Williams. She was very poised in that presser.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not defending JPM but I've cringed on numerous occasions while Geno was publicly throwing his players under the bus. It happens, coaches do it. I hate it but she's not the only one.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
They're going to get all the leadership in the world from Salvatores (Sp?) next season.
If she can't win with her and all the bigs, then she should be fired.

I wouldn't wait
I would fire her for the unseeingly press conference.
Who does she think she is? Gods gift to coaching?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
In a way, I found the Duke presser to be pretty accurate, if brutally frank. Duke was beaten mentally before they were beaten on the scoreboard. Seeing your team wilt against defensive pressure that won't quit is spirit crushing for a coach.

I am not defending Duke or their coach. But in light of how the game was played and the final score, not all of JPM's comments were off target. They played UConn fairly close for a half. Then one team adjusted their defensive energy, and the other team did not. Was it player leadership or weak coaching - or both? I frankly don't care. The Huskies passed the test with a very high grade.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Every coach,I have heard,in their press conference,does talk about what was lacking,or missing,in the team's play,in each game.There is nothing wrong with seeing and explaining where a team has to get better.However,there is,also,a coach's responsibility to examine how and where the coaching may have been better,or,where the coaches need to step up in practices,to correct any faults that they see.

The players can only play well,expose their true talents,if they are learning and prepared for what lies ahead.

Connecticut's practices,from what I have seen,are more about teaching,whether it be on the defensive end,or offensive end.Good teaching,usually leads to good results,and it shows,when Connecticut plays each game.

I have to wonder,when a coach seems to be more negative,than positive,towards their players,how many of those players,look across the court,and think,maybe I should have gone with them.

I feel for Elizabeth Williams,because she is a wonderful talent,and I wonder if that talent will ever be maxed out,before she gets to the next level.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
That's what I said. Once that lead hit 20, they were done. Really Jefferson's and KML's 3 broke them and they threw in the towel and decided they weren't going to play defense with about 7 minutes left in the game. UConn could have won that game by 40 if they wanted.
UConn tends to do that to folks:confused: At least they aren't in the large group of teams that Geno has (correctly) noted "lose the game before they step on the court". Quite honestly, the one key to beating UConn (not technique, but the process) is to avoid that dreaded UConn run that puts you away and, for better or worse, does tend to crush the idea that you can compete. If you look back at the few games you lose, I think you will find that the patented run doesn't occur or doesn't go on for long in those games.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
'
It has always been a puzzle to me why other women's college basketball coaches are incapable of motivating and coaching their players the way Geno and his assistants do. Someone I know always asserts that it's simply because of the talent UConn recruits and that the coaches have little or nothing to do about it. Well, we know that's ridiculous because plenty of other top high school players go to other top schools. And we've all seen how Geno has molded the talent of some good high school players into outstanding players in college. Stef Dolson is a perfect example. Consider Elizabeth Williams. I was not terribly surprised last night when one of the announcers said that Williams had reached all of 13 points, the most she'd ever scored against UConn. She wound up with 15.
If Geno's skills could be bottled, I'm quite sure some other coaches would be drinking some of that!

They motivate and coach players to the best of their abilities; that aspect of it is shared by Geno and the type of players he has, not their skill level. The results- victories and championships - are a combination of the coaching and the high-level talent.

Reaction Score
It starts with Geno, Chris, Marissa and Shea seeking out not simply the best players, but the most teachable high level players. Then these players buy into an incredible team system and give 100% to a group of coaches and players every single day for 4 years. We have the unbelievable combination of best/most teachable, motivated players playing for the best set of coaches in CBB-yes, I meant College Basketball, not WCBB! I ALMOST felt bad for McCallie and I don't blame her for taking time off from playing the Huskies. I'm sure that she is quite aware that she will never measure up to Geno and his coaching team-that has to be very painful.

Bottom line, year in and year out us Uconn WBB fans are treated to near perfection! Thanks Geno, all the coaching staff and Uconn players past and present for all your hard work and the gift of Uconn WBB!!!!!

Reaction Score
If Geno had lost four games by January to Top 10 teams, is there anybody here who really thinks his post game conference would be any different? She was gracious to her opponents and hard on her players; sounds like what a coach normally does to motivate a young team. Sounds like what Geno does every time he talks to the press. After all, Duke dodged a bullet in the first half, taking advantage of Nurse's foul trouble, and was only behind by eight in the first half. Was she a great coach in the first half, but a terrible one in the second? Don't fans, even the most passionate ones, also need to be gracious in victory? These are not well paid millionaires we are watching.

Careful boreifs, you are sticking your opinion in the blue and white waters of piranhas here. I will join you some what by saying I felt bad for the girls she brought out but understand every coach has a different style of motivation. It is a fine line of emulating Pat Summit, Bobby Knight or Geno and having the savvy and moxie to pull it off can be another story.
Her team was not going to beat ours come hell or high water and she knew it but expected a better showing. Geno can cut like a knife with players at times but he is also the one who stated " we won because we had Diana".
That aside team conditioning comes into play also and that goes unmentioned. Did she only get to 7 banners due to lack of oxygen?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Largely it is a matter of style and tone. There is a fine line between holding a team accountable for a performance and brutalizing a team. Geno has crossed the line buthe is the master motivator and knows how to walk that ledge far better than most. He is a master of psychology and the barb but is, also, willing to hold himself accountable when appropriate.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Largely it is a matter of style and tone. There is a fine line between holding a team accountable for a performance and brutalizing a team. Geno has crossed the line buthe is the master motivator and knows how to walk that ledge far better than most. He is a master of psychology and the barb but is, also, willing to hold himself accountable when appropriate.
Indeed, Geno's willingness to be self-critical after losses is the most obvious tangible distinction between his comments in those situations and McCallie's. After the Stanford loss, he acknowledged that the starting lineup might not have been right in that game. In the past, after losses to ND and Rutgers, he acknowledged that he might not have used his timeouts to best advantage.

By contrast, I have never heard McCallie acknowledge that her in-game coaching decisions had been less than infallible.

Reaction Score
Interesting that there was no "The coaching staff has to figure out.." kind of statements. No indications of any change from her or her staff. She may have felt it was implied, but it sure didn't come off that way. Kind of like "I'm coaching great! These players are just messing it up!"

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
In the dulcet tones of the late, great Allan Sherman "No one's perfect, no one's perfect, no one's perfect ... but, ME!"

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
In the dulcet tones of the late, great Allan Sherman "No one's perfect, no one's perfect, no one's perfect ... but, ME!"
"Muddah faddah kindly disregard my coaching"

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I just watched the press conference. I don't see a whole bunch of these but I don't recall ever seeing such a dejected coach. She struck me as being really crushed by the outcome of this game.

What really strikes me is how her plans t0 build this team up by having such a strong schedule before conference play begins has so totally backfired, and how terrible that realization must be for her. It will be interesting to see how the team responds going forward and whether this season is already to some extent lost.

For those who watch more of her press conferences, is there anything different in her reaction to this loss versus previous ones, to UConn or any other teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom