Gwozdecky | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gwozdecky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone know why he left Denver so suddenly? Not having followed it closely, it's a bit odd that such a coach is available and really interested in a program upgrading to HE. Why are no other hockey powers interested?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
He didn't leave Denver, he was "let go of his contract" - read, fired. Completely inexplicable, no one understood the move, including other head coaches from his conference who after the firing publicly commented on their confusion and shock by the move. That he was fired should not at all be viewed negatively on him, it was a completely befuddling move by DU, they did not have a replacement coach to hire when they made the move to get rid of him. They tried for David Quinn, but he was already in line at BU, and only by the grace of Maine being stupider than DU, did they get Jim Montgomery, who just a few days before being hired at DU publicly commented how he would like to be the head coach at Maine, but they hadn't contacted him. There really weren't any other high profile jobs open this year for Gwoz, the only other one was Ohio State, but that move came late, and they just went for a quick in-house hire. Other than that, there's really no other position currently available in the college ranks, besides Maine who's in their own little world of stupidity up there with their coaching search (IT HASN'T STARTED!), besides the UConn job.

From Mike Anthony's Twitter, apparently they're in final discussions with Mike Cavanaugh to become coach.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
He didn't leave Denver, he was "let go of his contract" - read, fired. Completely inexplicable, no one understood the move, including other head coaches from his conference who after the firing publicly commented on their confusion and shock by the move. That he was fired should not at all be viewed negatively on him, it was a completely befuddling move by DU, they did not have a replacement coach to hire when they made the move to get rid of him. They tried for David Quinn, but he was already in line at BU, and only by the grace of Maine being stupider than DU, did they get Jim Montgomery, who just a few days before being hired at DU publicly commented how he would like to be the head coach at Maine, but they hadn't contacted him. There really weren't any other high profile jobs open this year for Gwoz, the only other one was Ohio State, but that move came late, and they just went for a quick in-house hire. Other than that, there's really no other position currently available in the college ranks, besides Maine who's in their own little world of stupidity up there with their coaching search (IT HASN'T STARTED!), besides the UConn job.

From Mike Anthony's Twitter, apparently they're in final discussions with Mike Cavanaugh to become coach.

Allegedly Cavanaugh has been offered the job.

Reaction Score
goalmouthradio now confirming Cav has been offered the job.

My reaction....not bad. If Gwoz didn't want to sign a longer term deal, this was the best choice. If it was them choosing Cav over Gwoz based on merit, it makes little sense. Berard was the sentimental choice, but would have been the wrong one, he has little credibility, and would be more of the same for the program. Cav comes from the top of the coaching staff of the number 1 program in the country for the past decade, so it's a noticeable hire and a name that will indeed help in recruiting. Though I still think Gwoz, assuming he'd sign a longer deal, was the #1 candidate.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

That was the question, why did they let a winning obviously well respected coach go? Money? Losing season? Lost the locker room? Diddling the ass't trainer? Telling a Trustee to go poke during a drunken fundraiser. Has to be a reason they ate the rest of his contract.

Reaction Score
While Cav was my personal third choice after Gwoz and DB - I'm not complaining. Not on same level as Gwoz from a head coach/assistant standpoint but a strong recruiter and a well known "name" from a well run high tier program. Let's now hear about the plan for the future.

Seeing how this was conducted by WM - it gives me a some sense of comfort for when the inevitable football head coach hire occurs.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I wonder if Maine reached out to Gwozdecky.

Reaction Score
That was the question, why did they let a winning obviously well respected coach go? Money? Losing season? Lost the locker room? Diddling the ass't trainer? Telling a Trustee to go poke during a drunken fundraiser. Has to be a reason they ate the rest of his contract.

I'll see if I can find it but I read he had just become a PITA/thorn in the side of the AD regarding an early contract renewal (still had year left) and other issues. No dirt that I've seen other than that. They have had a few down years from their standards (early Frozen four knock-outs) but...

Reaction Score
I'll see if I can find it but I read he had just become a PITA/thorn in the side of the AD regarding an early contract renewal (still had year left) and other issues.
PITA, and push for more .

Reaction Score
I wonder if Maine reached out to Gwozdecky.

Gwoz said he was only focused on UConn, not Maine or OSU. Its eems Warde decided that Cavanaugh was the guy. Being a northeast guy probably the deciding factor given recruiting

Reaction Score
I hope we can keep Cavanaugh for a long time. Gwoz did make us look good, regardless. Excellent work by Warde.

Reaction Score
Not sure what to make of this... Gwoz was highly complimentary of UConn (I know... before he didn't get job). Gotta wonder if it was $$$, fit or contract length.

ChipMalafronte 2:06pm via Web
Sources say Dave Berard is UConn's second choice, if deal can't be made with Mike Cavanaugh. George Gwozdecky no longer under consideration.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Not sure what to make of this... Gwoz was highly complimentary of UConn (I know... before he didn't get job). Gotta wonder if it was $, fit or contract length.

ChipMalafronte 2:06pm via Web
Sources say Dave Berard is UConn's second choice, if deal can't be made with Mike Cavanaugh. George Gwozdecky no longer under consideration.

Well that sounds like terrible negotiating leverage with Cavanaugh. Why this story? If we end up with Berard, then WM let this process get the best of him. Still holding out hope for Cavanaugh though...

Reaction Score
accordng to courant, he will NOT get the job - offer made to BC assistant. unclear if his demands were too high, but it appears BC assistant is currnet leader

Reaction Score
I think this basically means they could not agree to terms with Gwoz and moved on. Gwoz was quoted earlier today as saying he was interested and would like the job, something you say publicly when you're trying to negotiate through the media. My bet is they couldn't agree on length of contract, and WM decided to move on from considering him. As for if Maine reached out to him, their AD has stated they haven't even begun interviewing people. Those people up there make WM look like a genius.

Gwoz's firing could only be for money/contract reasons, the players loved him, as evidenced by the massive social media uproar of current and former players when he was let go, his performance, a bit "down" of late by DU standards, but they're consistently in the NCAA tournament and competing for WCHA titles, no PR or media issues to speak of - it took everyone completely by surprise. What was more surprising is that apparently DU had made the decision to let him go BEFORE they began play in the NCAA tournament. So, had they won a couple of games, they'd be forced to explain firing a coach who just lead you to the Frozen Four. Headscratcher all around.

Cav is a good choice, unknown if he's a great choice, but I think he would bring credibility to the program, and has the credentials to make you believe he can recruit and succeed in HE. You cannot reasonably make those same claims about Berard.

Reaction Score
I would have much preferred to have Gwozdecky. However, if we get Cavanaugh, and he stays long-term, then its OK. If Cav leaves in 5 years or so, then not so great.

Reaction Score
Five plus years out of Cav would be a good thing. Realistically, getting more than five out of Gwoz was well below 50/50, with him being at age 59. He's not a shoe-in for the BC job when York leaves, though I imagine he'll definitely be looking at it. What I'd be more interested in is if, in those five years, he's able to bring in a solid coaching staff, teach them how to recruit at the HE level, get the facilities built, and get the wheels moving on the program so that if by chance he does leave for BC, the cement is in place to continue a solid program.

Reaction Score
Five plus years out of Cav would be a good thing. Realistically, getting more than five out of Gwoz was well below 50/50, with him being at age 59. He's not a shoe-in for the BC job when York leaves, though I imagine he'll definitely be looking at it. What I'd be more interested in is if, in those five years, he's able to bring in a solid coaching staff, teach them how to recruit at the HE level, get the facilities built, and get the wheels moving on the program so that if by chance he does leave for BC, the cement is in place to continue a solid program.

Well, if getting 5 years from Gwoz was less than 50% likely because he's 59, what are the odds that the next coach of BC will be hired even sooner? York turns 68 this summer and, given his age and recent health issues, it's probable that he'll retire in the next 2-3 years. The more I think about it, the more I think the rumors that Brown is already in line for the job are true. Cavanaugh just signed up for a multi-year rebuilding job that would probably make him an unlikely candidate in that time frame. Would BC hire a guy that has a (hypothetical) 14-20 record at UConn when they have an equally well-regarded Associate Head Coach still on staff?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Gwoz is what, 59? That's almost the same age as Pasqualoni when he was hired. Maybe that was a factor?

(Honestly... if Coach P dyed his hair and won 8-10 games a year we'd almost never talk about his age).

EDIT - from Jeff Jacob's column New UConn Hockey Coach Has A Big Fan:

Gwozdecky is also 59. If I had to draw a basketball parallel, I'd pick someone like Tubby Smith. Won a national title, been sort of running in place in recent years. The falling-out in Denver revolved around a contract extension. UConn needs to add another assistant. Gwozdecky would have cost more money. Facilities still need to be built. And remember that football and basketball will remain bigger in Storrs. At this point in UConn history, the hard truth is that Gwozdecky might have been too big for the job. And who knows how long his hunger to build a program would have lasted?

Lots of positive quotes from BCU's captain on Cav.

Reaction Score
If P won 8-10 games per year he could die his hair fire engine red and we wouldn't care. It's only when you combine the Social Security looks with the depression-era offense that age becomes an issue.

Reaction Score
Cav was my distant number 2 to Gwozdecky...only because of Gwozdecky's body of work as a hc. When I looked at body of work comparison between Cav and Berard while he was at PC it was easy for me to put Cav in the 2 spot. And PC has some pretty good hockey history. I wish DB well as I think he will be moving on.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
There's also the fact that with a more established coach comes more established and more expensive assistants. It might not have been the money for Gwoz as much as the money for the entire staff.

Reaction Score
Cav was my distant number 2 to Gwozdecky...only because of Gwozdecky's body of work as a hc. When I looked at body of work comparison between Cav and Berard while he was at PC it was easy for me to put Cav in the 2 spot. And PC has some pretty good hockey history. I wish DB well as I think he will be moving on.
I don't completely buy that comparison between Berard at PC and Cavanaugh at BC. In part its about where you're recuiting and who the head coach is. And there is no comparison between BC and PC under Army. No comparison on the quality of the schools, the cities the head coaches and the facilities. And over the last decade at least, you could argue that a monkey with a cell phone could recruit guys to BC. It was sort of like recruiting in womens basketball. If your cell phone says UConn basketball and your home phone says PC Womens basketball, you're probably taking the call from Geno and letting poor Susan Fruchtl go to voice mail.

That said, I can see how this choice makes sense. new face on the program as it moves in a totally new direction, plus it brings the cache of probably the best program in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom