Gus Edwards (RB) from Miami may be looking to transfer | The Boneyard

Gus Edwards (RB) from Miami may be looking to transfer

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
That's partly why I posted, but I have no contacts to do so. Seems like a perfect replacement for Ron Johnson.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If we are the beneficiary of this type of policy, I will of course be happy. But this is the exact type of bull$#it policy made by an athletic director that drives me insane with the NCAA. Essentially, we can tell you where to go to finish your education because of a 0.5% chance that it might affect the outcome of one of our upcoming games.

If that ain't pimpin', I don't know what is...

Addendum: kudos to Richt for saying that kids can transfer wherever they would like to, even if Miami disagrees

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
If we are the beneficiary of this type of policy, I will of course be happy. But this is the exact type of bull$#it policy made by an athletic director that drives me insane with the NCAA. Essentially, we can tell you where to go to finish your education because of a 0.5% chance that it might affect the outcome of one of our upcoming games.

Addendum: kudos to Richt for saying that kids can transfer wherever they would like to, even if Miami disagrees

Richt is a really solid dude. Walks the walk.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I hate these threads cause they seem like the type of thing you would post if the player or staff had interest.

Reaction Score
Honestly I'm kind of happy with who we have at RB, I think we need to keep getting younger. Does anyone have news on Sheffield since the offer? I think he's going to be a good one..

Reaction Score

I get where you're coming from, but I also understand blocking a kid from going to one of the dozen or so schools on your schedule. It's not like Pitt/Cuse are all that close to Staten Island... plenty of other options within that range.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I get where you're coming from, but I also understand blocking a kid from going to one of the dozen or so schools on your schedule. It's not like Pitt/Cuse are all that close to Staten Island... plenty of other options within that range.

The point is; why should they control where you finish your education??

They can't block a COACH from going wherever he wants! So why should they be allowed to block a student???

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
To
The point is; why should they control where you finish your education??

They can't block a COACH from going wherever he wants! So why should they be allowed to block a student???

To be fair, they arent stopping anyone f4om attending those schools, just stopping them from giving the kid a scholarship to do it for free. Edwards is welcome to walk on anywhere he wants, but your point is duly noted.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
To

To be fair, they arent stopping anyone f4om attending those schools, just stopping them from giving the kid a scholarship to do it for free. Edwards is welcome to walk on anywhere he wants, but your point is duly noted.

With all due respect, if you are preventing them from their main way of paying for school, then you are absolutely preventing them from attending the school...

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Edwards can pay for school same as millions of other kids around this country. With loans and grants, or work to pay his way.

I am not a fan of the hypocrisy and agree with you that the NCAA is a joke, but they are not preventing him entirely. Things could get real messy with kids just transferring to rivals all the time. You think it would be good if a Dak Prescott had just decided to go win a title at Alabama instead of spending his senior year at Miss St? I see both sides of this argument is all.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Edwards can pay for school same as millions of other kids around this country. With loans and grants, or work to pay his way.

I am not a fan of the hypocrisy and agree with you that the NCAA is a joke, but they are not preventing him entirely. Things could get real messy with kids just transferring to rivals all the time. You think it would be good if a Dak Prescott had just decided to go win a title at Alabama instead of spending his senior year at Miss St? I see both sides of this argument is all.

Yes, many kids pay their own way. Some work their butts off to get an academic free ride. Others work their butts off to get an athletic free ride. Let's not pretend that the latter comes easily.

There is no valid reason why a school should be able to do this. So what if he goes to a rival! A coach can go to a rival. And a coach would be way more damaging to the school.

So we're not talking about right vs wrong here; we're talking about some who have agents and leverage, and others who aren't allowed to...

Reaction Score
To

You didn't answer the "why".

Whether the kid and/or family can pay for grad school is irrelevant to whether or not a school should be able to prevent a kid from going to another school.

It's kind of ironic that you would use the phrase "to be fair" in rationalizing a policy that is anything but fair.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Well, I am not necessarily trying to argue that I am some big fan of the policy, just that I see both sides.

If we want to get into semantics again, they are not "preventing a kid from going to another school"

Reaction Score

1) Things are already messy
2) It would be good for Dak Prescott and Alabama
3) I could understand some limitations for the sake of stability. maybe allow kids two transfers, and he only has to sit a year on the second one (unless he graduates)

There's no logical reason a school should be able to block a kid from grad school. I don't care if they're on your schedule or not.

Where else are people treated like this? Where a former "employer" has the power (not influence, but actual power) to limit your future opportunities.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Where else are people treated like this? Where a former "employer" has the power (not influence, but actual power) to limit your future opportunities.

I 100% have a non-compete clause in my employment agreement. If I leave, my current employer absolutely limits me, and it is an agreement that I knowingly and willfully entered.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, I am not necessarily trying to argue that I am some big fan of the policy, just that I see both sides.

If we want to get into semantics again, they are not "preventing a kid from going to another school"

I understand that you're not a big fan, but this isn't a rule that should even be tolerated, nevermind rationalized.

Your past employer doesn't get to decide what your future employer pays you. Beyond that, we have laws in place to dissuade past employers from negatively impacting future employment. An HR department that does anything other than confirm dates of employment is asking for trouble. What makes school different? They exchange scholarships for athletics. After graduation, neither party is obligated to the other for anything. Why in the world should a school have power over a graduate's future?

Players in the NFL cross over to division and conference opponents all the time. Let's not pretend like it creates an unfair competitive disadvantage.

It's a spiteful and petty move by a school and/or coach, and there's no logical argument for the other side.

Reaction Score
I 100% have a non-compete clause in my employment agreement. If I leave, my current employer absolutely limits me, and it is an agreement that I knowingly and willfully entered.
Thank you, perfect example.

Now show me where the scholarship agreement between the student and the school confirms that the student is agreeing to a non-compete clause, either during, or after his time there.

If you can't, then you should be able to see my point. These kids aren't agreeing to non-compete clauses, at least not knowingly and willfully.

Furthermore, if you're going to argue that it's okay for the scholarship agreement to more follow an employment contract, then these kids should be getting paid, over the table. (you may or may not agree, just a side note)

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Thank you, perfect example.

Now show me where the scholarship agreement between the student and the school confirms that the student is agreeing to a non-compete clause, either during, or after his time there.

If you can't, then you should be able to see my point. These kids aren't agreeing to non-compete clauses, at least not knowingly and willfully.

Furthermore, if you're going to argue that it's okay for the scholarship agreement to more follow an employment contract, then these kids should be getting paid, over the table. (you may or may not agree, just a side note)

I completely agree with you that the policy should be clearly outlined and transparent. I don't know if it is or isn't in the scholarship agreement, but it should be. If it is, then students should know going in, and it should not be "as much of" an issue.

It doesn't make the situation fair (just like my requirement to sign an employment agreement with a non compete can be viewed as unfair), but at least it would be clear.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom