Gunner Kiel to transfer! | The Boneyard

Gunner Kiel to transfer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why... We've already had our ND transfer experience.

Zach Frazer who helped us get to the fiesta bowl? Why not? There two different prospects, two different individuals, Gunner is an elite player!

Gunner Kiel was the #1 QB in the whole country coming out of high school last year!

Reaction Score
Say what you want about Zach. He won a couple of big games. Who was better except Dan?

Though taking a QB named Gunner well .......................

Arguably Lorenzen statistically. I have nothing against ZF. But get spooked with kids that are looking @ their 4th school and they will be a RS Freshman.

Reaction Score
Gunner Kiel was the #1 QB in the whole country coming out of high school last year!

Looking to transfer to MAC schools (although MAC has produced some good QBs over the years)? Interested to hear backstory on this - could be he wants to play immediately and doesn't want to sit behind Golson for a chance.

Reaction Score
Arguably Lorenzen statistically. I have nothing against ZF. But get spooked with kids that are looking @ their 4th school and they will be a RS Freshman.

So your saying you would not be excited if Gunner Kiel was to transfer to Uconn? The #1 QB out of high school last year.

IMHO, the next good QB after Dan, I would say Chandler Whitmer! I know he threw a lot of interception, but not all were his fault. The OL wasn't all that great, and GDL had Whitmer with his back against the wall, the defense's already new our plays, plus he had to deal with 3rd and long frequently

Reaction Score
http://notredame. /content.asp?CID=1480752

Former 5* QB "possible landing spots could include Ball State, Miami (Ohio), Northern Illinois and CINCINNATI."

Wish he was looking at Uconn...
No rush on Cincy. With their ridiculous loop hole because of their different academic calendar, he can play anywhere he wants for a game or two, transfer to Cincy, and be on the field for them a couple weeks later.

Reaction Score
So your saying you would not be excited if Gunner Kiel was to transfer to Uconn? The #1 QB out of high school last year.

IMHO, the next good QB after Dan, I would say Chandler Whitmer! I know he threw a lot of interception, but not all were his fault. The OL wasn't all that great, and GDL had Whitmer with his back against the wall, the defense's already new our plays.

I wouldn't be excited.. I'm a realist. The "#1 QB out of HS" will not have seen the field for two years (has to sit out a year if transferring to FBS). That's a long time. A lot of #1QBs flame out. I still wonder why he's not competing w/ Golson for the job.

Reaction Score
No rush on Cincy. With their ridiculous loop hole because of their different academic calendar, he can play anywhere he wants for a game or two, transfer to Cincy, and be on the field for them a couple weeks later.

Huh? You lost me.

Reaction Score
Huh? You lost me.
I forget all the specifics now, but they had a ND transfer at QB a few years back (Demetrius Jones) who started the season at ND and ended up playing at Cincy shortly thereafter. It was really obnoxious because it was around the same time we had that "stud" LB Jarell Miller who transferred to UCONN after he spent 1 day at UNC but somehow had to sit out an entire year, yet the player at ND was at ND for quite a while, actually played in a game for them in the beginning of the season, and was eligible immediately at Cincy. I remember the reason being given had something to do with a technicality because they had an unusual academic calender involving trimesters or some ridiculous reason like that.

Reaction Score
I forget all the specifics now, but they had a ND transfer at QB a few years back (Demetrius Jones) who started the season at ND and ended up playing at Cincy shortly thereafter. It was really obnoxious because it was around the same time we had that "stud" LB Jarell Miller who transferred to UCONN after he spent 1 day at UNC but somehow had to sit out an entire year, yet the player at ND was at ND for quite a while, actually played in a game for them in the beginning of the season, and was eligible immediately at Cincy. I remember the reason being given had something to do with a technicality because they had an unusual academic calender involving trimesters or some ridiculous reason like that.

Good memory Coach. He actually sat out the rest of the year after playing in one game @ ND, but still strange arrangement. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demetrius_Jones

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be excited.. I'm a realist. The "#1 QB out of HS" will not have seen the field for two years (has to sit out a year if transferring to FBS). That's a long time. A lot of #1QBs flame out. I still wonder why he's not competing w/ Golson for the job.

Sorry to say, but a lot of the 4 and 5* QB's don't flame out, not at that position. I can agree with a lot of the other positions, but not QB's

Robert Griffin 4*
Andrew Luck 4*
Tim Tebow 5*
Terrel Pryor 5*
Mark Sanchez 5*
Cam Newton 5*
Aaron Murray 4 or 5*
Matthew Stafford 5*
Josh Freeman 4*
Sam Bradford 4* some recruiting sites
Jake Locker 4*
Jimmy Clausen 5*
Blaine Gabbert 5*
Mike Glennon 4*
Landry Jones 4*
Tyler Wilson 4*

The list goes on.... All top 10 QB's coming out of high school!

Reaction Score
I thought I read he was 4th on the depth chart. Good reason to move on.

Reaction Score
Everett Golson has been in the system for a year before Gunner even stepped foot in the program. He was a high 3* QB coming out of high school, so he ain't no slouch. Just because your a top QB doesn't mean your going to start automatically, the coaches like their players to get familiar with the playbook and system.

I'm a realest as well and I would love for him to join Uconn

Another thing kids don't transfer because of negative reasons only, maybe he felt like he didn't belong and wanted to move on, or maybe he wants to play right away there's nothing wrong with that.

Reaction Score
Sorry to say, but a lot of the 4 and 5* QB's don't flame out, not at that position. I can agree with a lot of the other positions, but not QB's

Robert Griffin 4*
Andrew Luck 4*
Tim Tebow 5*
Terrel Pryor 5*
Cam Newton 5*
Aaron Murray 4 or 5*
Matthew Stafford 5*
Josh Freeman 4*
Sam Bradford 4* some recruiting sites
Jake Locker 4*
Jimmy Clausen 5*
Blaine Gabbert 5*
Mike Glennon 4*
Landry Jones 4*
Tyler Wilson 4*

The list goes on.... All top 10 QB's coming out of high school!

Out of how many...? You cherry picked. For every Andrew Luck - there is a John David Booty or Ryan Perrilloux. There are a lot of 4*/5* QBs coming out of HS who never see the success the players you choose for your illustration.

Since he's mentioned in the same thread - see Demetrius Jones as an example. Top rated QB out of Chicago and flamed out. Some struggles are because of coach and system and others are just because they were plain overrated.

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/201...quarterbacks-class-of-2006where-are-they-now/

We can go through each year and we'd both find examples to support our argument. Not worth the effort. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Reaction Score
Everett Golson has been in the system for a year before Gunner even stepped foot in the program. He was a high 3* QB coming out of high school, so he ain't no slouch. Just because your a top QB doesn't mean your going to start automatically, the coaches like their players to get familiar with the playbook and system.

I'm a realest as well and I would love for him to join Uconn

Another thing kids don't transfer because of negative reasons only, maybe he felt like he didn't belong and wanted to move on, or maybe he wants to play right away there's nothing wrong with that.

Or he's indecisive and doesn't know what he wants... Indiana, LSU, ND, TBD.

Enjoyed the debate...

Reaction Score
Or he's indecisive and doesn't know what he wants... Indiana, LSU, ND, TBD.

Enjoyed the debate...

Do you know 6 out of the top 8 QB's in the 2013 NFL Draft where 4 and 5* coming out of high school? And that's just the top 8, the other QB's are probably former 4 and 5* player's.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000140693#photo=8

I only named a few there's a lot more QB's who are 4 and 5* player's, like Matt Lienart, Rhett Bomar etc...

8 out of the top 10 QB's of last years NFL Draft where former 4 and 5* players as well
7 out of the top 10 QB's of the 2011 NFL Draft where former 4 and 5* players... I mean, I can go on and on if you wish!

And just like you stated the other QB's is/was because of the system they stepped foot in. That doesn't mean the kids aren't Elite players, happens. There's very few QB's who were 4 and 5* who flopped that you can cherry pick, B.J. Daniels is one!

All I'm saying is the QB position you rarely see them flop.

Reaction Score
Can't believe you used Rhett Bomar as an example... Bonafide bust.

I think we are talking/arguing on two different levels:

4*/5* coming out of high school and excelling/flaming out in college versus NFL draft picks who were 4*/5* coming out of high school.

More fall out of the first category into oblivion.

(You're having as exciting Friday night as me - eh?)

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Why would you wish he was looking at UConn?

I've had a few cocktails but don't think I'm too fargone to declare that I'm actually very happy with our current QB stable. We're well stocked in that cupboard for now.

My three wishes for the program are:

1.) Someone shows up this Spring and steps in enough throats to show usthat he is the next great University of Connecticut running back.
2.) Atleast one shutdown corner emerges to replace the two who we're about to lose to the NFL.
3.) Knappe becomes a beast.

My prediction is that Mr. Yawin Smallwood will become the well deserved "face" of the UConn defense.

Just imagine if we could add Ivan Drago to a reworked pass rush! We've got a lot of holes to fill headed into Spring practice but AK is my wildcard on D.

g12c000000000000000f3f98b06d107f28ed882af34057e8bfd9762ca96.jpg

Reaction Score
And probably get a 6th or maybe 7th year of eligibility is he had shin splints.

Reaction Score
Why would you wish he was looking at UConn?

I've had a few cocktails but don't think I'm too fargone to declare that I'm actually very happy with our current QB stable. We're well stocked in that cupboard for now.

My three wishes for the program are:

1.) Someone shows up this Spring and steps in enough throats to show usthat he is the next great University of Connecticut running back.
2.) Atleast one shutdown corner emerges to replace the two who we're about to lose to the NFL.
3.) Knappe becomes a beast.

My prediction is that Mr. Yawin Smallwood will become the well deserved "face" of the UConn defense.

Just imagine if we could add Ivan Drago to a reworked pass rush! We've got a lot of holes to fill headed into Spring practice but AK is my wildcard on D.

g12c000000000000000f3f98b06d107f28ed882af34057e8bfd9762ca96.jpg

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with our current situation, but who wouldn't want a former #1 QB? I mean rivals compares this kid to Peyton Manning. Again, If he comes or not i'm still happy with our situation.

Reaction Score
Can't believe you used Rhett Bomar as an example... Bonafide bust.

I think we are talking/arguing on two different levels:

4*/5* coming out of high school and excelling/flaming out in college versus NFL draft picks who were 4*/5* coming out of high school.

More fall out of the first category into oblivion.

(You're having as exciting Friday night as me - eh?)

Rhett Bomar was top five QB in the 2010 or 2011 NFL Draft, just sayin

Im having a boring as* friday but the debate was exciting, Thanks! I enjoy healthy debates

Reaction Score
Rhett Bomar was top five QB in the 2010 or 2011 NFL Draft, just sayin

Im having a boring as* friday but the debate was exciting, Thanks! I enjoy healthy debates

Just saying... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhett_Bomar.

"He was ranked as the nation's No. 1 high school quarterback of 2004 by the recruiting services Rivals.com and Scout.com and was compared to former NFL great John Elway."

Where is he now?

(Apologies to the BY for our back and forth if we got under anyone's skin)

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong I'm happy with our current situation, but who wouldn't want a former #1 QB? I mean rivals compares this kid to Peyton Manning. Again, If he comes or not i'm still happy with our situation.

Rivals should shutter their doors if they've ever compared Peyton Manning to Gunner Kiel.

Edit that. They should shutter their doors if they've ever compared Gunner Kiel to Peyton, Eli or Cooper Manning!

Peyton nutted up and went to Tennessee when the entire planet thought he'd follow in his Dad's legendary footsteps and go to Ole Miss.

Peyton Manning became a legend in the time it took Gunner to de-commit for the 3rd time.

I'm all for bringing in talent via transfer but we don't need to start a post for every 5 star flameout, do we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom